Spoilers First hand behind the scenes information

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Hoity Toity, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Hoity Toity

Hoity Toity Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Everyone,

Long time fan first time poster.

I got a bunch of DIRECT first hand information on Discovery I thought I would share. This is not passed down info or rumours but like I said first hand info. Some of it may already be known but if not hope you find something interesting.

--------------

The enterprise bridge was built and will be shown heavily later in the season!!!!

It is the first set that is made almost entirely out of metal using a new manufacturing technique. It is very retro with a very very large view screen. It is mostly red white and grey.

A set for the enterprise "WAR ROOM" was built.

The art department is almost all Canadian talent.

Engineering was originally designed and BUILT as the torpedo room. It had large rotating torpedo launchers. It was changed last minute to be engineering. If you look closely the steps on the set are 7 inches apart rather than the usual 6 inches. This is because an error was made in the design phase and the length was underestimated. They have to warn the actors that they will feel unusual and steep.

The Discovery Bridge is made up of 120 displays with 120 computer powering them.

Many of the props have iPads hidden within them with a Star Trek bevel around it.

Since I know there has been some debate as to the location as to Pike’s ready room.... It is directly behind the bridge ball on the neck of discovery. NOT on one of the rings or secondary hull.

Lorca’s ready room the window went from being very wide to being 2 smaller windows. This is so they would have to do less green screen effects in the windows.

Suru’s home planet architecture was designed based on the shapes of his face. They looked rather “vaginal” to the designers.

The shuttle sets breaks into 16 pieces to get different camera angles.

The Transporter room is the least favourite to shoot on as you can only fit the camera in 2 angles. On and off the Pad.

On the bridge the transparent displays are real and cost $17,000 each. You also can’t see it on the show in action but they swivel on an arm to different positions.

The original designs for the Discovery bridge had a pit with a couple stations right in front of the viewscreen.it was cut as it caused problems for filming (my guess is floating heads).

The discovery bridge set is 3 stories tall. The set you see on film is the second level. The level bellow is to get different low angles. The interesting thing is the space above is supposed to be for another room as the bridge was supposed to be 2 stories. Not sure if they ever plan to show it or it will end up being another TNG captains yaght.

The corridors and transporter room for the Discovery and Shengu are the same. They have panels on the wall that they snap on and off to change sets.

The Section 31 one ship is the old Shenzhen set. If you look at them side to side you can see they pretty much just cut out the floor of the Shenzhen and added steps. Still looks great.

Pikes ready room took about 3 months to design with a team of 5 people.

The story behind the wooden table with the glass is that it is a tree from pikes home that got hit by lightning.

Around episode 12 or 13 Pike orders the evacuations of Discovery. (I’m sure things work out fine though, lol)

The final few episodes are very emotional.

The reason that Airiam was re-cast this season is because the actress (Sara Mitich) was allergic to the makeup.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

That's all very interesting information. However, I caution you, prepare for the wave of posters who aren't going to believe a word of it because you don't have a link to back it up or verify it.. For my part, this all sounds like stuff that could very easily be true (such as Sarah Mitich's allergies to the makeup.), but please forgive me if I consider it unverified for the moment.Thank you for sharing.

Deledrius, RedAlert, ITDUDE and 2 others like this.
  3. Hoity Toity

Thats cool. Makes zero difference if anyone believes me or not. Lol.

Like I said some of it may be common knowledge but Im only here to share things I learned first hand.
    I'm also quite sure you could easily verify things I've said (other than the enterprise bridge) by looking closely at the sets.

What was said that has you so skeptical? :D

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I'm not skeptical, but I believe in that old axiom "trust but verify". For what it's worth, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if every single thing you mentioned comes true. It all has a ring of truth to it, if I'm being honest.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Deledrius and CommanderRaytas like this.
  5. Hoity Toity

And just to be clear there are no links to back things up as this is from first hand conversations. The Enterprise Bridge is something everyone is trying to keep under wraps but I thought no harm in giving loose details on it. Be prepared though as it looks ridiculously amazing.

6. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Captain Captain

@Hoity Toity Do you know if they plan to keep using the Enterprise sets for a Captain Pike spin-off?

7. Hoity Toity

I can't confirm that the sets are being used for anything else but keep this in mind.

ALL the sets on every Star Trek no matter what they are were made out of wood. The Discovery bridge is all wood and since it is 2 years old now a bit creaky.

For them to spend the TON of money they did on the Entprise bridge and make it all out of metal I would think that it is an investment more than a handful of episodes.

My guess is they plan to use it as a re-dress for multiple sets in season 3 onwards OR they could easily take this set on some sort of bridge tour or exhibit.

They gutted the Klingon ship of the dead and have used bits and pieces of it in season 2 already. Like the house on Kronos has a large chunk of it on the wall.

Deledrius likes this.
  8. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*Saru
    *Shenzou

other than that, well done

9. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Premium Member

10. Hoity Toity

If you want a clue to the enterprise bridge look VERY closely at the exterior shots of the ship. If you get the right angle you can see the LARGE glass view screen.

[​IMG]

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting.

12. Hoity Toity

@BillJ Can't tell you names but obviously from MANY people who did all of the above info. (Don't want to get them in trouble either). I know more but had to withhold the info as it would directly out them.

I live less then 1k from the studio as well. I am personally friends with someone who had a small role on the show but she didn't give me any of this info. I am friends with someone on the team and spoke to about 9 people who work on the show in very high production levels.

Anyway, it will be all old news soon in terms of the Enterprise. I just thought some of the behind the scenes info on the sets would be interesting.

cgervasi, Mr Awe and ozzfloyd like this.
  13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of this info has been stated in official BTS videos or interviews.

Some of the set stuff can be seen in concept art.

RedAlert and Lonemagpie like this.
  14. Hoity Toity

...and just like I stated it might already been known. Lol.

Hopefully the stuff that WASN'T stated you find interesting.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

The inner skeptic in me is very much wondering this...:shifty:

RedAlert likes this.
  16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We'll find out if this checks out soon enough.

I wonder more about leaking in this manner than the actual information itself. But interesting all the same.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  17. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Premium Member

Of course, they've been avoiding greenscreen effects out the windows entirely this season by flooding space with light in most scenes. To the point where I'm not even sure if Lorca's old window is still supposed to be a window anymore, since it's always been a flat white glow whenever we've seen it after it was converted into a lab. I'm not sure what's wrong with the old-fashioned black curtain with holes cut out of it, or HD monitors for more elaborate stuff like orbits or warp scenes, especially on sets with relatively small windows, but I'm not working on the show.

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well, the show is called Star Trek Discovery, so if they put that much effort into the Enterprise bridge, my hopes for a Pike series are rising even more.

19. Jadeb

Jadeb Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was. Thanks for posting. Stuff like this is fun, even if not everything pans out.

Do you have any idea when we get to see the Enterprise bridge? It's before the season finale, it sounds like?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Tuskin38 likes this.
  20. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

This all sounds plausible, and some of it is already known.

BeatleJWOL and RedAlert like this.