Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x10 - "The Red Angel"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Leaps and bounds ahead of anything Trek has done before.

10.8%
  2. 9

23.7%
  3. 8

28.4%
  4. 7

15.1%
  5. 6

8.6%
  6. 5

3.4%
  7. 4

3.4%
  8. 3

2.2%
  9. 2

0.9%
  10. 1 - Oh boy, what a mess.

3.4%
  1. cultcross

cultcross Chuntering from a sedentary position Moderator

I'm guessing that where this show is now going is that the entire plot is a section 31 fuck up, that somehow Project Daedalus created both Control and the Red Angel trying to stop it.
    Not really the deep look at rationality and faith that I was hoping for, but at least it's better than ZOMG MIRROR UNIVERSE. So, progress.

lurok and Jadeb like this.
  2. Gonzo

Gonzo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will watch the episode later today.

Have not gone through thread yet so I am not spoiled about the Red Angel.

3. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Commodore

That’s the Nolan influence again. They knew full well how to pronounce his name properly

4. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Commodore

Let me spoil it for you. It’s Batman.

5. Campe98

Campe98 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It’s always Batman.

Pindar and Gonzo like this.
  6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I NCC what you did there.

BeatleJWOL, Pindar and Alan Roi like this.
  7. dinzy

dinzy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    I gave it a 7 because I was dismissing the whole Michael is the red angel crap as a waste. I saw hundreds of whining posts on this forum in my mind. I hoped it would end up being her parents as hinted, but the final reveal was not enough to recover my opinion of it. It's probably better on second viewing.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    So Michael's mother witnessed World War III. Now that's a story to tell your kids growing up.

Or not.

9. mdtauk

mdtauk Commander Red Shirt

Interesting the computer screens used in the episode. Some LCARS like elbow designs, a few TOS colours.

[​IMG]

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As others have pointed out, Spock in TOS has been notoriously secretive of his family.

Hypothetical
    discussion in Journey To Babel:

Kirk:
    We had that entire episode that took place on Vulcan when you went through Pon Farr, and it's only now that you tell me your father is the Vulcan Ambassador?
    Spock: I didn't think it was relevant.

11. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Commodore Commodore

Gave this one an 8.5. The .5 is for Spock's butt in that EV suit (hot damn).

I love that this entire episode, was a massive troll to those who think the show is predictable and thought they had the identity of the Red Angel in the bag. I liked the final reveal and it opens up a whole new can of worms. I really haven't been able to predict any of this season and I have no idea how this is all going to end. I like feeling this way about Star Trek. I really liked the Spock/Burnham stuff, The Burnham/Leland stuff, The Georgiou/Stamets/Papi threesome stuff (Tilly's reaction was perfect).

The only thing I didn't really like was Airiam's funeral, with the exception of Saru's singing. The Airiam stuff just feels very forced, and to have Airiam's personality and impact on the crew expositioned to us feels a tad lazy.

Other than that, good episode and really looking forward to next week.

pst, BeatleJWOL, Pindar and 8 others like this.
  12. Bay17

Bay17 Lieutenant Red Shirt

So does that set up the idea that they have to get rid of all the modern tech and go back to the very basics, leading to the low tech TOS Enterprise?

I’m hoping not

jespah likes this.
  13. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems like Discovery is all about Michael. The Klingon War was about her. And now we learn that all the major plot points of Season 2 from Section 31 to the Red Angel was also connected to her as well. Isn't she special?

Rahul, Thowra, lawman and 1 other person like this.
  14. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Captain Captain

Well, I was one of the few who guessed correctly at the identity of the Red Angel. Lucky guess though!

Loved this episode. Love the moments between Burnham and Spock and even Burnham and Georgiou this time. Also loved the Culber and Cornwell scene.

Gave it a 9. One of the best, maybe the best, this season.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  15. XCV330

XCV330 Rear Admiral Premium Member

My red angel guess was about 1000 years off and totally wrong and not even a lifeform. That may be as wrong on a guess as I ever have been.

Thowra likes this.
  16. Amaris

Amaris Fuzzy Logic Generator Premium Member

Jean Luc Picard was the focal point upon whether or not the entirety of humanity either lived or died. So nothing new there.

17. Campe98

Campe98 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She is the main character of the series. :shrug:

18. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Commodore Commodore

Wow how odd that the main plot points of season 2 might be about the series MAIN CHARACTER

By the way, not sure if you remember a guy called Sisko, he was basically Jesus in Spaaaaaaace, caused a war with Klingons, caused a war with the Dominion, was integral to stopping both and ultimately was responsible for saving the entire universe from being the playground for the Pah Wraiths.

But hey, thats totally different right?

19. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it's pretty similar. They are both characters who were revealed later to be instrumental in the pot of the series.

BeatleJWOL and Alan Roi like this.
  20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Never mind that Starfleet Captain Who was the son of the man who invented the revolutionary engine powering that ship, who made first contact with the Klingons, became a key figure in a temporal Cold War, saved the Earth from another temporal incursion by the sphere builders, United the founding species of the Federation, paved the way for the Federation to be founded and became the President of said Federation.