Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x13 - "What's Past Is Prologue"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 28, 2018.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - A Winner!

37.3%
  2. 9

23.7%
  3. 8

13.9%
  4. 7

6.3%
  5. 6

7.0%
  6. 5

2.8%
  7. 4

3.5%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1 - A Loser!

2.4%
  1. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think I will be happy if they retcon that the entire Federation was actually conquered by the Klingons for a time before they bounced back and won. But this episode and the promo for next week, seem to contradict each other. Saru looks at the war map and sees the Klingon advance and exclaims that they have won the war but in the promo, the admiral says that only 20% of Federation space is occupied. So maybe the feds are just losing badly and not actually conquered?

lawman likes this.
  2. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2/10

Pros: Good VFX for the 8 Million Dollar budget, but that's expected given the massive budget.

The overly-choreographed fight scene at the end where Lorca got his ass kicked by the two women made me laugh at it's absurdity. Producers definitely went out of their way to paint him as weak and defeatable. So much for "make the empire glorious again"...... I wonder what not-so-subtle message that they are trying to convey here?

Cons:

Jason Isaacs is officially wasted on this series, as I called from the start. Revealed as a villain, and a generic, unremarkable, one-note villain... who isn't even able to pull off his ultimate plan....despite so much sacrifice to get there. Sad. Pathetic. Died unceremoniously. I laugh out loud at anyone who doubted it. All you need to know is the producers' plan for STD and you'll know that Isaacs could never play a respectable authority figure in this interpretation of Trek.

The constant pandering of Michael Burnham as great and incredible..... enough. I get they are trying to sell the show and the lead to the SJW crowd, but even they can't be that dense. They are forcing Mary Sue Burnham hard in a way that even makes TLJ's Rey look like a well-executed character in comparison. Really cringeworthy material.

The spore stuff just seems better suited for another series. Something more fantasy-based. It's Star Trek's version of 'The Force' connecting all life and whatnot.... and that's an awkward fit for Trek, especially since it never comes into play in Trek's future.

So we're doing the alternate dystopian future thing? Good. Even Marvel's subpar Agents Of Shield is likely going to handle that storyline better this season than this show will. Star Trek Discovery sucks, but if you've grown disenfranchised with Trek over time... at least you can get some shock value out of this GoT-lite version of Trek.

Psion, Isolar, Fateor and 2 others like this.
  3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

So that implies Prime Lorca was killed on the Mirror ship. Seems like a waste. I bet he escaped and is hiding somewhere trying to find a way back.

AlphaMan and Philip Guyott like this.
  4. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

What they did to Lorca was a total waste, and my interest in the show was pretty much incinerated with him. The dialogue tonight was just atrocious, and I've lost faith in the writers. The action and effects were good but that's about the best I can say for it. It's by far my lowest score of the series.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I lost all interest in your post.

6. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

Saru's reaction coulda just been a knee jerk one to a stark fear coming to realization.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look at it this way: It's like trading someone who should be a Bond villain for someone who was one of the best Bond women.

Ovation likes this.
  8. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping for Holy McShitburgers, it was well made but it was a paint by the numbers episode up until the ending. No real surprise until the surprise ending, and a little too much technobabble.

guyute03, Rhodan, Jadeb and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm glad She's Not A Borg (I don't know her name) got something to do. When the crew was gathered together, and everyone weighed in, it felt like the christening of Saru's Discovery.

I expected Lorca to go out in a blaze of glory but I'm glad that's not what happened. On the other hand, he seemed too much like a James Bond Villain here.

I initially didn't see what the logical point of saving Georgiou was. It was probably more of an emotional matter of Burnham didn't want to let her die again, especially when Georgiou said she had no future. But I guess she'll be put to good use judging by the trailer for next week, so there might be something tactical to it.

When I saw the Star Map with all the Klingon Insignias I thought to myself, "Oh shit!"

At this point, I'm guessing the Klingon War ends through means besides physical strength.

The Defiant was another Chekhov's Gun.

I'm going to call it an 8.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    guyute03 and antinoos like this.
  10. thribs

I thought it was very Star Wars like as well. They need to stop using those generic sci fi weapon effects and use proper Star Trek phasers for both the ship and personnel.
    All that was missing was turning that sword into a lightsaber. :)

Rhodan and lawman like this.
  11. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I...might be able to work with that...

12. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure would like to watch. CBS All crapcess doesn't have it up yet. Vaulting Ambition only.

13. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

:rolleyes:

I thought you were making a point. But then.....

14. thribs

Weren’t they in the Beta Quadrant when they jumped? I always find it weird that they always say Alpha Quadrant when published official maps etc. Show Klingon and Romulan space in the Beta Quadrant. Alpha Quadrant is Cardassian/Tholian territory.

15. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, because they’ve never ignored canon before. Please.

nightwind1, Ulva, antinoos and 2 others like this.
  16. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

It isn't.

I'm guessing she'll hate this universe. Perhaps she'll sacrifice herself to save them during the war because better to die heroically than to exist in the Prime Wimpiverse (<-- according to her).

17. thribs

Both Tomorrow Never Dies Bond Girls have now been in Star Trek. Teri Hatcher had a small role in a TNG episode.

Vger23 likes this.
  18. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's no such thing as a SJW crowd. They are just rational people. Then there are the retards.

The Realist, nightwind1, Zod and 13 others like this.
  19. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

The map did shrink back to show a small portion of Federation space still in existence. Was that 20%? Didn’t look like I to me. Guess we’ll see!

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does she try and eat Saru?