Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My understanding is that they had the D4 model ready to go, but the producers rejected it (something about windows) and they decreed the D7 be used instead. Since producers come above art department in the grand scheme of things, that makes it a deliberate choice not a mistake.

Again though, I'm not fussed with Axanar ignoring it or tweaking continuity for their film.

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe Ithekro is right. From what I gathered here and there on the web, is that a design was made for something else, but both budget and time didn't allow it. Broken Bow is the most expensive Trek pilot ever made, so not a lot of money was available for big new things. And I believe they felt that it was more important at the time to invest in the other alien vessel and interior.

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

That is true as well. Perhaps you ignore these sensibilities for ships named Enterprise?

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Or you send what you have because you are desperate. The HMS Prince of Wales was still having issues when she was sent after Bismarck.

For Axanar, you have the new D7 battlecruisers coming. The Ares is the newest ship type, but is not likely to be able to defeat the D7s (not sure why), but the Constitutions should be able to handle the D7...if they can be finished in time. So Starfleet needs time to complete the Constitutions, or they need to bring the D7s to the incomplete, but deadly Constitutions to end the D7s long enough to get more Constitutions into service.

Not the best idea in the universe, but one that seems desperate enough to work, if the Enterprise is functional enough to fight. She can probably take on two D7s by herself when fully functional, but with support of the Ares-class ships and others, three D7s shouldn't be that much of a problem for Enterprise. It will be all those D6s and below that will be the issue.

5. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The “first warship Starfleet ever built” (paraphrase) can’t handle the bad guys, but the peaceful non-military scientific explorer (the Enterprise) will save the day?

6. Ithekro

Well they do call Enterprise a "heavy cruiser". This would imply that Enterprise was not a non-military scientific explorer (the likes of say the Galaxy-class), but a multi-purpose ship that had even more advanced (or at least improved) technology than the Ares-class. Enterprise is larger (slightly) and seemingly has more powerful engines than the earlier Federation ships.

Ares is a combat ships, yes, but it is backing spread out firepower to Enterprise's compact and probably more powerful weaponry. (Ares has 26 phaser turrets and I think 8 torpedo tubes. Enterprise has nowhere need that many weapon ports, but they might be more powerful/advanced). The Ares was built to defeat the D6, but it seems the D7 is just a lot more powerful (I don't see how it is that much better unless its weapons and shields are a whole level of awesome better than the D6).

In old FASA terms, the ships before the D7 have weaker and shorter range weaponry. The D7 having weapons that could shred Federation ships from ranges outside their ability to shoot back. Similarly, the ships prior to the Constitutions were undergunned, underpowered, and had limited range with their weapons. The Five Year Mission version of the Enterprise has twice the range and almost double the firepower in her phasers to the standard Four Year's War era ships, and shields enough to stop at least on full disruptor or torpedo hit. The torpedoes are basically the same, just with ranged and more efficient power consumption on launch.

7. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

My question got lost in the bullcrap.

8. Ithekro

One of the perks for donating for Prelude to Axanar was a copy of the soundtrack by Alex Bornstein. Not sure if he is continuing on, but they had on at least.

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Just rewatched Prelude. Love it even more on a second go-round. :techman:

I'm really getting to appreciate the quality of the acting all round. Alec's, too, his take on Garth is really settling in well with me.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Kind of makes me think that Garth's crew figured out he went nuts pretty easily since normal Garth seems rather modest while nutty Garth was a raging hammy egomaniac.

11. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

^ :lol: True dat.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I hate to ask a potentially stupid question, but does anyone know if the DVD/Blu-ray that goes to certain backers will have Prelude on it as well as the main feature?

13. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was honestly surprised to see that Prelude to Axanar clocked in at just over 20 minutes, thinking it would be as long as other productions' vignettes, 10 minutes or so.

Has it been revealed anywhere what length the main AXANAR feature is expected to be? If they go for 90-minutes, this would be awesome (but probably a LOT of sleepless nights for the VFX team :cool:)

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Tobias does not sleep ;) :)

15. Tallguy

This I believe.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A "scientific explorer" that could level the habitable surface of a planet. :p

17. Tallguy

I dunno. That sounds more like a military mission.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wasn't talking about mission but about capability. The class may have, at some point, been earmarked as a deep space explorer but they were definitely designed to go to battle if necessary.

But, I think TOS points to the Constitution-class being much more than an explorer.

19. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Yes they say the main film will run 90 minutes.

20. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

That's because it's easier to study the mantle if you start by vaporizing the entire planetary crust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.