Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

I'm leery of strangers who presume to speak on behalf of "the community." Especially when the majority of the static is coming from like a couple of people who just happen to be persistent, verbose and astonishingly easily aggrieved. I'd say the advice about the ignore list was good, though.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You know where the button is at BigJake. :techman:

But shit or get off the pot. The "Axanar Man" routine is tiresome.

3. BigJake

^ Oh, I don't want to ignore you, Bill. :rommie: You... complete... me.

4. BillJ

:guffaw:

You're good people BigJake, we just see things... differently. :techman:

5. BigJake

^ Back at you. :D

SHAGGY: Now, let's find out who you really are!

*BigJake struggles in the iron grip of Scooby Doo and Shaggy as they peel off the elaborate facial mask*

VELMA: [gasps] My God, it's Alec Peters! He was on the board all along!

JAKE/PETERS: Of course I was! And it would have worked if it weren't for you meddling kids!

;)

6. BillJ

You know we're ruining this thread making googly eyes at each other?!? :lol:

7. BigJake

You're right, you're right. Carry on everyone. :techman:

8. TerryMcIntosh

TerryMcIntosh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not interested in participating otherwise, since I'm living Trek dawn until dusk -- working and hanging out with some of the stars and creative people on personal and professional levels, traveling to conventions (which also weren't my thing generally pre-Axanar) to meet and chat fans (not to mention a LOT of work that goes with that), and I'm part of a team that's making several new adventures for the non-canon side of the franchise. There's not much interest on my part to invest time to chit chat for chit chat's sake now and I wasn't really interested in doing so before joining Axanar either, truth be told.

When I'm not working on Axanar I have my own company to run, too, so there's not a lot of time for non-business in my life at this stage -- it's all about making things happen and getting myself where I want to be for an early retirement. That's simply a personal lifestyle preference and to each their own, of course, but it's awesome that some folks do enjoy regularly participating in such things.

The real question to me, as with anything that I choose do, is if it's a good investment of my time. Do I want to be here specifically? I'm indifferent and neither for or against it. That's why I'm asking if folks want me to participate or not. I'm not asking to be passive-agressive. I'm asking because if it's a distraction then I have a list of other things that I could be doing with the time. So...

There's an ignore list?? (EDIT: Found it! =D )

9. BigJake

Your User Control Panel or "User CP" at the top left. Under "Settings & Options" there's an item called "Edit Ignore List" where you can add people by username.

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Thank you!

11. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A better investment of your time would be to stay professional with your responses. Ignore trolls, don't feed them. Answer questions as best you can, don't waste additional time defending your clear answers or biting back at trolls. Axanar is a brand just like any other project which has an audience. Don't tarnish that brand or poorly invest your time by making this thread about you. Honestly, I would be asking (internally to the Axanar team) if it's best for Axanar that you stay on this thread, rather than using an Axanar thread to ask what the people here think about your presence. Yes Axanar is a fan film, but it's a fan film with significant funds behind it - enough to make the brand worthy of having someone on staff to control the messaging. I don't think it would be a bad investment for Axanar to have someone in charge of all social media and online communication (or if that role exists, re-evaluate its effectiveness and broaden the role). Then any tweets, replies to comments or involvement in message boards should be limited, careful and selective in order to protect the brand. You can be open and honest on behalf of Axanar without getting defensive or personal, without allowing trolls the pleasure of a likewise response, and without letting too much of yourself get in the way. And the good news for you is if you and the Axanar team do all of that, your time spent here should be considerably less. Then you can use all of that free time for your business, those dreaded conventions, early retirement plans, etc., etc.

In short, this shouldn't be about you. It should be about Axanar.

12. TerryMcIntosh

Thanks for your opinion. My continued participation is up for consensus and not that manner in which I do it -- what and how I choose to share is not for debate. As I've said before, if I'm here then it is about me, because it's doubtful that anyone else from the production is interested in investing the time to answer questions here. So, come to a consensus and I'll either continue to do so while there are questions (and while I choose to invest the time) or I'm happy to move right along if the question cupboard is bare.

13. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you think we're getting a little too personal, you can report us. But it has to be an attack or comment about you (or another poster) that youre reporting, not just people picking on the content of your posts. Sometimes people can cross the line without meaning to.

For what it's worth Terry, I don't think anyone has anything against you. You just joined in the middle of what looks like a miniature shitstorm to those on the outside, and you're the only 'in.' You're getting a lot of concentrated attention, so it's completely understandable if you'd want a bit of a break. That's why maybe checking out the other threads might be a good idea. There's plenty of non-Trek threads, including some 'get to know you' ones.

But don't feel like you're being forced off. Regardless of the 'consensus', we really can't make that decision for you. I mean this sincerely - if participating here is only making you miserable , then by all means don't needlessly prolong an entirely avoidable experience. This is not death or taxes, it's just a message board. The decision has to be made for your sake, not ours.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  14. TerryMcIntosh

Please don't think that I feel "forced off" or anything like that, because I don't. It's simply a time investment analysis -- is the time worth the effort re: dealing with a knucklehead or two with nutty butthurt vs helping answer questions that more level headed folks may have. I've said earlier that I'm not here to cause or be a magnet for drama, but then again I'm not going to walk away from a fight -- it's a personal tick. I'm also not a fan of folks offering me unsolicited advice about my business... if I'm interested in an opinion, like the current consensus question, then they'll know because I'll have asked (like a bit farther up). :devil:

Now that I know about the Ignore List it has been used, too. :lol: I don't know how it works on this forum software, but hopefully it provides a two-way block and not just simply hiding those blocked from my comment list.

15. BigJake

Pace dub: It really isn't noteworthy at all that Terry said 'I don't care for your opinion past a certain point' to a couple of vocal posters who for whatever reason simply can't handle hearing it. It wasn't said particularly nastily at any point, and the resulting bellyaches cluttering the thread should arguably be more of a problem for our moderation than Terry's ignore list IMHO. :shrug: Not my call, of course; it is what it is.

It blocks their comments (with an option to view) and blocks them from sending you PMs. It doesn't prevent them from seeing your comments as far as I know.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"Ignore" is not bidirectional. Furthermore, it won't hide comments others make if they appear in someone else's quotes. It will prevent them from IMing you, however.

17. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Terry, I just tried out the blocking software on two people who, to the best of my recollection, have never posted anything I'd miss not reading. Their name shows in the thread, you just don't see what they wrote, and it states clearly that you blocked them. So, I'm going to try it out and seem if my experience here improves from using it.

And my two cents is that you being here improves my experience. That doesn't mean it's worth your very valuable time, but it's nice for me.

18. TerryMcIntosh

Right on. TY for the clarification!

19. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

Karzak is not Herbert! :lol:

20. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well things seemed to have gotten out hand...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.