So is Capt Shaw the new, reigning biggest a##hole in Trek?

I'm wondering where Starfleet would fall when it comes to putting someone who is compromised in command, particularly if he's a problem enough to have a record on his past and it's basically been flagged that he has Wolf 359 PTSD.

Or maybe it's a bunch of Vulcan Admirals who believe that human trauma is a key contributor to good captains and are running a great social experiment. lol

I'm wondering where Starfleet would fall when it comes to putting someone who is compromised in command, particularly if he's a problem enough to have a record on his past and it's basically been flagged that he has Wolf 359 PTSD.

Or maybe it's a bunch of Vulcan Admirals who believe that human trauma is a key contributor to good captains and are running a great social experiment. lol
It's Starfleet. If they didn't promote compromised people to captain how would they ever become compromised admirals.

let’s not forget, yes he’s a ships Captain. But from the descriptions of the Titan it doesn’t appear to be a front line “major” ship like the Enterprise or a little butt kicker like the Defiant. It’s closer to an explorer ship like Voyager or the Equinox.

so putting a Captain with PTSD with an XO that used to be a Borg (and that command was forced to give a commission too by two influential Admirals) is lower risk, high reward.

yeah, the war had to have cleaned out the Officer ranks quite a bit. I mean, on DS9 Nog goes from cadet in the field at the start of S6 to a full Lt. by the series finale.
Which was complimented by Nog going through a lot of character growth. It's also nice that his path to being a lieutenant did not happen overnight.

Which was complimented by Nog going through a lot of character growth. It's also nice that his path to being a lieutenant did not happen overnight.
If Aron were still alive I do wonder what would've happened if it had been Nog's ship that Picard and Riker hijacked instead of Shaw's. Nog was always portrayed as a little starstruck (thus his sudden eagerness to join Red Squad and his bizarre deference to them in Valiant even though he outranked all the Red Squad people there)

The Jurati Borg faction storyline was completely glossed over to the point that Shaw's Borg hatred should've referenced Seven and Picard's support of them just canonically three months before Season 3, but it seems like this season other than the inclusion of Raffi is ignoring the past 2 seasons entirely.

I think it was Behr in the DS9 doc that says this and I agree. Nog has maybe the greatest character arc in all of Star Trek.

I think it was Behr in the DS9 doc that says this and I agree. Nog has maybe the greatest character arc in all of Star Trek.
My comment will probably get criticism but Nog is what I remember Trek's character development being like and not what we seemingly get now where characters suddenly act wildly out of character or regress in some fashion and we're told it's in the name of character development.

My comment will probably get criticism but Nog is what I remember Trek's character development being like and not what we seemingly get now where characters suddenly act wildly out of character or regress in some fashion and we're told it's in the name of character development.

Could be worse. I mean, just look at the Star Wars "sequels"... :whistle:

Back