Shows you gave up on before they got good

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JirinPanthosa, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's probably a bunch that I just don't know they got good because I never went back, lol.

I did watch an episode of Buffy once just to check it out and wrote it off for a long time because the action and stuff just looked really cheesy. It's probably just as cheesy later but there was a lot to make up for it. My entry point to the Buffyverse didn't even start until like Angel Season 4 I believe and I sort of wound backwards through Angel and then Buffy.

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gave up on Stranger Things because I can't stand the 1980s setting, despite how good and interesting the show is.

Kor

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

The lottery win is the first episode of the last season. I loved Roseanne, but the ending is unbelievably bad, IMHO.

Really? What bothers you so much about the setting?

I think that show is fantastic. JMHO

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the 80s horror film tribute/style was a lot of the attraction.

1001001 likes this.
  5. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose...Survivor might count? The show had good seasons, bad seasons, and then around S21 had a bunch of mediocre-to-bad seasons in a row. Unlikeable casts, Pagonging, bad twists. I stopped watching. Then S31 Second Chance happened and I got back into it.

I also had trouble getting into Farscape initially.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I watched the entire first season of Fear the Walking Dead. That was enough; I was OUT. I never realized the Zombie Apocalypse could be so BORING. I didn't like ANY of the characters, and some I was actually HOPING would die. I LOVE The Walking Dead, so I thought I would like this "prequel," but that turned into a big NOPE.

I'm told it got better, but frankly, I don't care. There are too many other shows out there I'd rather see.

7. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I don't know if this counts but I had a friend who loved David Tennant so much she could not bring herself to watch Doctor Who anymore...then she sat down and watched all of Matt Smith's episodes with her daughter and found out she really liked his Doctor (she didn't LOVE him the way she loved 10 but developed a fondness for 11). Now she mentally kicks herself every time she thinks about it for not hanging in there.

8. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Typically they have been shows that have had to hold to a network formula for a particular length of time before being given the creative freedom to actually be the show it always wanted to be.

Fringe -
    though having a decent pilot, the following two episodes were generic X-Files light junk, so I forgot to watch the following week and then it just dropped off my radar. A few years later the internet was quietly murmuring about how much the show had grown, so I gave it another chance. If I had caught The Arrival and the Observer-antics I may have stuck around! Now, a firm modern favourite.

Person of Interest - another perfectly decent, if run-of-the-mill pilot with a fascinating central premise. After watching 7 episodes of that years take on Quantum Leap I bailed, seeing only the procedural exterior. I got drawn back in after the internet started exploding about S3. Churning through most of S1 was still a chore, but 1/2 way through S2 the show really started taking shape. It's now a bone finde mini classic for me.

Babylon 5 - bailed 4-5 episodes in. I didn't enjoy any of the characters, compared to that-era Trek it all looked too cheap and most of the stories felt like old re-treads. My mother insisted I revisit it after she watched the S2 finale. With a summer break ahead of me 44 episodes were duly burnt through and I was the one the ranting to her about the show and "when in the hell is S3?"

These days I don't watch shows from the get go. There is so much out there for me to catch up on I no longer feel the need to watch shows "live" or as they air. I am more than happy to let them play out their first seasons, and if SF/F community and critic feedback is strong, and I like the premise, I will give it a go

Hugo - is also too impatient to wait between episodes for the story to continue. Wait 9 months and get it all to play at his leisure, not the networks

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

The only show I can think of is 24. That was a combination of "not good enough" and "I can't invest the time." I watched the first half-season and quickly realized how much of the action was the characters running in circles; i.e. filler. The core plot was fine and I might have been willing to continue anyway — but I also realized how closely I'd have to follow what was going on and I just couldn't.

10. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I forgot one: Gilmore Girls.

I watched the first season then stopped. Lorelei, the way she spoke, annoyed me a lot. And with every big fight she had with her parents, it always circled back to how horrible it was that she got pregnant at sixteen. They needed to get over it. She managed to give herself and Rory a pretty decent life from what I did watch. So much drama! I couldn't stand it.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That reaction isn't unheard of when it comes to DW. But that's the beauty of the show you might not care for this particular Doctor and/or the companions but change is only a few years away.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I saw a few episodes of the first season of 24 and stopped. Then I came back in season 5 and got really into it. Then I went back and rewatched the first four seasons, but unfortunately, after that the show turned into a trainwreck.

I quit Walking Dead after one season. This is a case where I could see it was a great show but didn't feel like I would enjoy watching it because of the constant cycle of getting emotionally attached to characters and watching them get horribly ripped apart (Also see: Last few seasons of 24).

Also related to the thing about Futurama that bugs me that it constantly has people shrug off seeing people devoured by giant aliens.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just have an aversion to that decade. It's the same reason why I quit watching Halt and Catch Fire.

Kor

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

My taste is impeccable. No show I give up on will get better. ;)

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^@ Nerys Myk, every time I see that avatar, all I hear in my head is Vivian yelling, "Shut up, Neil, you bloody hippie!" :lol:

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Supposedly seasons 3-4 of The Killing were good, but after that frustrating, time-wasting first season, there was no way I was going back.

17. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

The only one I can think of was Breaking bad. I tried watching the first season, got to the body in the bath scene and was like "too much for me" and moved on. Fast forward to after the series ended and with all the hype around the finale i decided to give it another go. It was worth it.

Shows I've given up on in recent years are; Orphan black, Once upon a Time, Gotham, Arrow, The Simpsons, Fargo, True Detective, The Knick, The last ship, H 5.0

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'm currently bailing on Once Upon a Time. I'd heard it was fun, so we got season DVD sets and started watching. The "Frozen" season killed it for us. We don't have kids and we didn't see Frozen. We spent some episodes saying "who the hell are these new people and why should we care?" The show sort of abandoned the regulars for the sake of the popularity of Frozen. Then Cruella Fucking D'Eville showed up and that was it for me. Silly is fine, but this was ridiculous.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. That's more on me than the show though. I love what they've done and they've faithfully recreated the 80's, but I'm really not into horror. We're really not much of a horror household and never been.

Glad to know I'm not the only one to give up on it though.

20. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You lasted longer than I did. I powered through the first 2 seasons last year but by season 3 (specifically the Never Land stuff) I grew bored. But even then my main reason for stopping was Mary Margaret. I wanted Regina to finally murder her so bad!