Shows you gave up on before they got good

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JirinPanthosa, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Does "never tried" count as "giving up on"? Lots of smart people say Buffy tVS is a great show, and I more or less believe them, but I have almost no interest in watching a show about a high schooler fighting evil. Hell, I already watch The Flash, and the writing there often feels pitched to a high school level. And spending dozens and dozens of hours with Gellar and cheap sets? Thanks, but no thanks.

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I have cringed a few times myself, like the line of dialogue in a second season episode that refers to the "video card" inside a Commodore 64. No, just no.

The production is supposed to have "technical advisors", but I have a feeling that they are twentysomethings that are skimming Wikipedia and old 80s movies for their research. Someone is trying too hard to dumb it down and make it sound familiar for a present day non-techie audience. The stuff in Mr. Robot is a lot more credible.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I missed the line about the video card. I'm sure I'd pick up on it if I were to do another viewing.

Well, my opinion? If they're working on a show about technology, they should at least try to be accurate. If the goal is to present it to an audience that isn't familiar with it, it's only going to cause more confusion in the end should they want to read up on things if they feel inspired. And if they can't do that, then why bother in the first place? Just reeks of laziness.

4. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only watched the first season of Breaking Bad (:shrug:) and the first three episodes of House of Cards (:shrug::shrug:).

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The first half of season of House of Cards is horrible, season 2 is amazing and season 3 is unwatchable... Oh yeah and season4 is forgettable. :lol:

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I never gave Buffy a chance until about two years ago and I loved it. I was opposed to it for some of the same reasons, the premise sounded incredibly stupid. I didn't know it actually had smart writing, and made fun of the genre as much as it was part of the genre.

Breaking Bad becomes brilliant in season 3 and just builds and builds more as the show goes on. Once you realize the show isn't going to return to status quo at the end of every season you see it differently.

Now that I think about it Lost probably qualifies. I watched one episode in season 2. Happened to be an episode that's really bad to see out of context, the episode where Hurley hallucinates his hallucinatory friend from the mental hospital. It opened up with Hurley destroying food he was hiding, not a good thing for your first exposure to a series. I gave it another chance in order later on during that big gap at the start of season 3.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I know Futurama isn't the kind of show where you expect continuity, but you'd think if they destroyed Mars they'd remember they destroyed Mars a few episodes later.