Sherlock - Series 2

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The judge can direct a not guilty verdict, usually at the close of the prosecution case and on foot of an application by the defence, commonly called a Galbraith application.

2. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

Absolutely, no problem there, if the judge feels there's not enough evidence then that's fine!

But the presumption of innocence and the right to remain silent, means that you don't have any legal requirement (in theory) to present a defence. In theory, the prosecution have to prove that you have committed a crime, it's not up to you to present your evidence!

How do I know this? The UN said so ;)

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Exactly. That's the point I made earlier about how unrealistic the summing up in Moriarty's trial was.

4. jack sparrow

jack sparrow Guest

Sherlock 1 was really nice spy story and I didn't have a chance to watch part 2. I think it will be good as the part 1.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

wrong sherlock cadet spammer.

6. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Caught "The Hounds of Baskerville" this week on BBC Canada and enjoyed it a lot. It was quite spooky and, as others have mentioned, the cinematography was beautiful. I liked the funny bits too, like Lestrad trying to convince Sherlock that he was really on vacation, even though he'd just been on vacation.

A lot of people have said Cumberbatch would make a good Doctor, but after watching this episode, I think Martin Freeman would be great in the role.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh, what a surprising choice :rolleyes:

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

No he won't :lol:

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're right, it won't be a fair fight at all. Miller will be on CBS, which is basically like being born into royalty in TV terms, there's a massive built-in audience. Sherlock's audience of 8M would be cancellation level for CBS. If they aren't expecting a lot more viewers than that, the show will never go to series.

11. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yeah, but don't think of it was 8 milliion, think of it as a 33% share of the audience.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Exactly. 8 million viewers in the UK is excellent. CBS would kill to have a show that could bring in that much of the audience.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

10.66, 10.27 and 9.78 million where the final figures of SHERLOCK on the BBC and that does not count I Player numbers. Out of a population of 62 million thats :techman:

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I caught the final two episodes recently and loved them both. I think that this season was much better than the first one. I cared more about the stories, I enjoyed seeing Irene Adler and Moriarty, and although I only have a vague peripheral knowlege of the classic stories, I still managed to appreciate these episodes as creative updates. I also really like the visual style they use with the text and mental notes right there on the screen. They've been getting more creative with that part.

As for the actual updating of Sherlock Holmes, there was a discussion last year about how you couldn't place him in modern times because by doing so, he'd no longer be a pioneer in his field of expertise. I disagreed. I argued that he taps the power of the mind in ways that you don't see today and that makes him special and a pioneer of sorts. That fact was especially amped up this season and it was fun to watch. Cumberbatch handled Holmes' sharpness and lightspeed thinking quite well. The mind palace sequence was one of my favorite moments. Seeing Elvis was a hoot.

Looking forward to series 3.

Oh yeah, and they had me for a few seconds when it was "revealed" that "Moriarty" wasn't real and that he was just an actor playing a part. For a moment it was s surprising and disappointing twist. Then I thought... Good job making me believe it for a bit.

I can see that. He's also got the hair.

I was thinking the exact same thing when they were on the rooftop.

I immediately thought of Molly too.

My first thought was that he just needed something from her and wouldn't have reached out otherwise.

I caught that as "the fall of Holmes", yeah.

As I was watching the final episode, I thought... What if they made an American version? Then sure enough, this news comes along. An American Sherlock set in New York will be quite a stretch. Can't wait to see the end result.

That was fantastic. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

What... No Hugh Laurie? Laurie as House with Robert Sean Leonard as Waton works for me. ;)

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Has anyone else seen those I believe in Sherlock/Moriarty Was Real posters?

Is it some sort of BBC viral marketing campaign?

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll probably watch the Elementary pilot (if and when it's on) but I doubt it'll be very good.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Series 2 airs on PBS in the U.S. starting May 6th. Source

Series 3 is on hold due to the stars' and the show runner's busy schedules. Source

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The third season is supposed to film in the November-February period, after the seventh season of Doctor Who has finished filming.

19. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

I know this is kind of resurrecting an old thread, but I just got around to watching "The Reichenbach Fall" for the second time, and I wanted to get people's opinions about the ending. Specifically, how much does Sherlock know and when does he know it?

Obviously spoilers to follow:

First: Sherlock knows that it is Moriarty’s plan that Sherlock will die. Sherlock plans the meet to be on the roof so he can commit suicide by jumping off. We know because he asks Molly for help, and because doesn’t actually die though everyone else thinks he does.

Second: I think Sherlock jumps into the “rubbish lorry”, as the British might say. There is one parked directly in front of the building where Sherlock jumps. John doesn’t see the whole fall because of where Sherlock told him to stand, and by the time John gets to the scene with the “body” everything has already gone down. Just as he arrives, you can see the rubbish truck pull away (top of the frame in an overhead shot). The editing on the fall implies that we see one complete fall divided into several shots, but they really just didn’t show Sherlock landing in the truck and jumping out again. Instead, they just show him as he lands on the pavement from the second small jump, and we only see the last moment of that “fall” as though it were the end of the first jump.

So those opinions established: Is Sherlock really unaware that there is no super-code?

Scenario A: In which, Benedict is playing the scene straightforward (as near as I can tell). He seems to really believe that he can use the code to fix the situation, and he seems pretty despondent and ready to jump when he sees no other options. Then he realizes that Moriarty implied that there was an alternative way out.

Scenario B: The scene is played from the beginning as a fake out for the audience (and Moriarty). Sherlock was ahead all the time. Sherlock thought there was no code, but wanted Moriarty to confirm it and/or was trying to get Moriarty to tell him the details. He may have also been sussing out the threat, to see if his fake would work. Maybe he didn’t believe the code existed, but was genuinely at his wits end about what to do about it until Moriarty accidentally spilled the beans.

The problem with both scenarios is that it seems difficult to fake his own death with Moriarty right there with him. It would be possible that the jump/death could be faked successfully once Sherlock asked for a bit of privacy, getting Moriarty to walk away just far enough away, but that is a close one.

The problem with B is if Moriarty didn’t make a mistake Sherlock would have to die without getting a touching farewell with John – but that is a minor issue since at least they would all survive.

I find A to be more attractive because it makes Sherlock cooler, but less believable because the scene seems to be played very straight. Also, other than asking Molly for help there are no other hints (in Benedict’s portrayal – no hidden smirk or anything) that Sherlock knew except that he turns up alive at the end.

So, what do you guys think? What did Sherlock know and when did he know it? Was he every really despairing that he would have to jump for real?

Also, Mycroft knows Moriarty is real and that Sherlock is for real, so he can’t be convinced that Sherlock died as a fraud. So I guess Mycroft is simply sad because he believes that Sherlock is dead, and unrightfully disgraced? Any thoughts on this item?

Hopefully, there will be an “Empty House” follow-up where Sherlock fights Colonel Moran and at some point tells John all about how he planned the fake death taking advantage of that particular place to make the jump with the most advantageous vantage points (i.e., the least visible to the lurking sniper).

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I think Sherlock had a contingency plan in case he had to jump but I don't think he knew that there was no master code.

That was actually one of my favorite parts. A master code like that is such a preposterous concept yet it shows up for real in so many other shows & movies. It was nice to see Moriarty's reaction when he couldn't believe that Sherlock would be so stupid as to think something like that could really exist.

However, my favorite Moriarty line is still from Season 1:
    "People have died."
    "That's what people do!"