Sherlock - Series 2

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

How Sherlock faked his death will be interesting, supposedly they already filmed some of that stuff during series two, which we will see at the beginning of series three.

But the big question I had at the end was whether or not Moriarty is dead. Moffat has been coy about answering that question in interviews.

2. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Rumour has it Mark Gatiss is starting work on the "Empty House" script for the start of S3, and it will begin filming in January. Fingers crossed.

3. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

yeah, I too am of the opinion Moriarty might have faked his death. How easily could he have put a blood capsule on the back of his head to look like he blew his head open (much as the actor did).

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Last I'd read Moffat said he definitely won't be back. But who knows if that's the truth or not.

5. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

"Rule 1: The Moffat lies."

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

^and they may have changed their minds after Andrew Scott picked up a BAFTA for the role...

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I dunno. I think Moriarty's suicide was so perfect, I would hate to see it retconned away. Besides, I think they've gone about as far as they possibly can with the character.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So do I.

But we're not showrunners...

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

...unfortunately...

:devil:

I'd be amazed if Moriarty had faked his death, though I guess given we know Sherlock faked his there is a nice symetry to that.

10. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

I think Moriarty dieing in "Reichenbach" is appropriate for three reasons:
    1) the original Moriarty died in the original story
    2) less is more for many villains. Look at the Borg, how many times were these unstoppable foes defeated by the heroes before they just appeared weak? How often could Sherlock stop Moriarty before he would no longer be a credible threat?
    3) there still is the option for Sherlock to face the dangerous Colonel Moran

11. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

^ This. I couldn't agree more with your points.

The actor was superb but the character is done. Next up would be Colonel Moran.

But love the show. I've been a long time Holmes fan with Brett being my all time favorite actor so I was skeptical of this show at first, but within the first 10 minutes of Ep 1 Season 1 I was hooked. Love it and Cumberbatch is amazing.

12. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I too have really warmed up to the show, as has my 15 year old daughter.. She's crazy for it... I just wish they'd do more than 3 episodes per series.. Is there an official reason why they're doing it that way, or is this just one of those things I need to accept as part of UK TV?

13. Bob The Skutter

They're made in a similar way to the Wallander series, which is budgeted as films rather than series and have huge (by British standards) budgets of something like £6-8m per series, or so I've heard. Basically they can't afford to do more. There's also the fact Steven Moffat is working on Doctor Who at the same time and involved in running the family production company, as well as the stars are off doing other projects. So there are various reasons for keeping them short, the main being budget.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I get the impression that series 2 would have been longer had it not been for Martin Freeman's involvement with The Hobbit. At least there were reports that an accommodation of some kind had been made so that he could do both Sherlock and The hobbit.

15. Bob The Skutter

^He turned down the role in The Hobbit because of his previous commitment to Sherlock, they moved his start date for filming in The Hobbit so he could do both.

16. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw a preview for Elementary, CBS' new series that brings Sherlock into modern New York. It looks to be a pale imitation of this show.

17. Bob The Skutter

That's because allegedly it is. Apparently Steven Moffat and Hartswood were approached about making a version of Sherlock for CBS, when they turned it down this suddenly appeared.

18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Well, there's a shock.

19. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I figured it would be when I first heard about it, but seeing the preview pretty well confirms it. Take a guy with a British accent who can observe stuff really well, add a gender-switched Watson, and throw in an unhealthy amount of American TV show cliches, and you have it.

20. Bob The Skutter

Well Sue Virtue, producer of Sherlock, has said they would be keeping an eye out for any similarities in case they infringed upon their ideas. Not sure if you can do that regards Sherlock Holmes though.