Production Order Group Viewing 2018

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Archivist13, May 8, 2018.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If there were known alien attacks in the 1990s I think it would change the reactions of the humans in 2363 when a new bunch of off-worlders landed! However, I have no problem imaging that the first Kzinti "war" was a more contained affair and the "hideous" invaders explained away as "mutants" from early Eugenics experiements.

I like the idea that a Kzinti invasion could have given rise to WWW3 though - maybe the final offessive to defeat them by one country was mistaken by another country as an attack, giving rise to full on interplanetary conflict?

By the 23rd century of course, the true facts of the Kzinti presence in that time would be well known.

Damn, I'd forgotten about the AG on the Botany Bay!
    Ah well, back to the notion (I've seen suggested elsewhere) that in the Trek timeline Apollo 18 was never cancelled and it was this mission which uncovered the stasis box with the flying belt inside.

Perhaps the Vulcans were simply using a less efficient form of AG on their ships prior to making contact with the humans?

That would be an especially specific alteration to change the date but leave everything else the same! I'd call parallel universe shenanigans instead

2. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

Silly script writing yields silly theories...

3. Mytran

If we're talking silly ideas, then the Gold Key Comics deserve at least their own parallel universe as well... :biggrin:

4. Henoch

Worrying about the timeline got me doing some web searches. Only decent TAS timeline I found: http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Timeline.html
    It glosses over most TOS history issues, especially discussions about WW3 and artificial gravity by 1996. I guess the flying belt was never resolved, either.

5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

That we know of mwa ha ha (re: androids).

I thought the Slaver Weapon was an excellent episode and would have loved it to be a live-series episode.
    I thought it was well written, made sense. I liked the way the Enterprise team worked together and there was a clever solution not involving macho posturing.

6. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the only Star Trek segment not to feature William Shatner? :D
    JB

Mytran likes this.
  7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Well theres 'The Cage' as well.

You wouldn't want too many episodes without Shatner but the very rare one is OK.

johnnybear likes this.
  8. johnnybear

Well The Cage was before he was cast and story wise before he was even in command of The Enterprise so is a different thing altogether, Commish! :techman:
    JB

9. Mytran

In fairness, your original statement was pretty broad ;)

johnnybear likes this.
  10. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Ambergris Element

Interesting aqua-shuttle. But why is it necessary? Standard shuttlecraft are air tight for space travel. Is it that the aqua-shuttle can float on the surface of water but standard shuttles can't? And the Enterprise only has...er...had one of them.

And it has phasers! Have we seen a shuttlecraft with phasers before? It totally makes sense that they should have phasers. They can even be set to stun, but maybe that's not surprising considering the Enterprise stunned a block full of gangsters in A Piece of the Action.

SPOCK: "Its skeleton is similar to that of a Denebian whale, Captain."

Denebian? Where slime devils also live whom Korax claimed Kirk resembled in Trouble With Tribbles?

Can't they just fly the aqua-shuttle into the air to escape the sur-snake?

McCoy's log "...and even their eyes are covered with a transparent film like the second eyelid of a fish..."

Spock already had a second set of eyelids. Is this his third now?

On Sarpeidon, the choice was to go back in time to escape the supernova. On Argo, the choice was to mutate to water-breathers to survive the land-destroying earthquakes.

Kids these days! They sleep all day, they're up all night playing that rock and roll of theirs, and they're liable to mutate any stranger that comes by.

Why did the young'uns mutate Kirk and Spock? It seems an odd choice. I wonder if they knew it would force the old'uns to change their stogy ways.

Isn't it breaking the Prime Directive to tell the Aquans about themselves and take them to the ship?

KIRK: "Right now we have only two choices. Live in an aquarium somewhere for the rest of our lives or stay on Argo. I won't accept either one of them."

Part of Kirk's success is his refusal to accept limited choices. As in Operation Annhiliate!, Kirk demands and does not stop until other options are found. He does not believe in the no-win scenario!

Seems like it'd be more efficient for Kirk and Spock to swim barefoot with their webbed feet rather than wearing boots.

It's really lucky for Kirk and Spock that Rila is so sympathetic to their plight or they would be doomed.

I'm dubious that a sur-snake that can destroy the aqua-shuttle can be held down by a few Aquans, but okay.

I'm curious about the similarities between Aquan culture and Greco-Roman culture down to the use of pillars in architecture and even the Caduceus. Hmmm, the planet is called Argo after Jason's ship in Greek mythology.

Huh. McCoy used the Universal Translator on the written words of the ancient language. I've only thought about the UT used to translate spoken words. Is this the first time it's used to translate written words?

Can they make synthetic sur-snake venom if their supply runs out?

There's Christine helping with the procedure. I'm glad to see her neural neutralizer treatments are complete and she's back to being a productive member of society again.

Our heroes save the Aquans from the earthquake, learn how to handle such earthquakes so that they can save the people of the mysterious unnamed "other Federation planet" that also has earthquake problems, and help the old and young Aquans maintain communication as they follow divergent paths. I love a happy Star Trek ending.

But if all the young'uns go back to being air breathers, won't the water-breathers die out?

This was an entertaining episode. I was interested in the mystery of why Kirk and Spock were mutated. Thumbs up.

Alien Watch! Those devices Domar and Rila wore are called aqualungs. Jethro Tull anyone?

Season One
    The Glommer
    Arex*
    Retlaw Plant
    Agmar and his Phylosian posse
    Swoopers
    Yellow winged bird guy (Aleek)
    Spock's teddy bear with fangs (sehlat)
    Green cat thing that sounds like Godzilla (le-matya)
    300 million year old alien on viewscreen log
    Green energy Redjac wannabe
    The Vendorian
    Lt. M'Ress
    Remarkably human-looking Taureans.
    The planet-eating, Majel Roddenberry-voiced cloud from another galaxy.
    Alien miners of Arcadia
    Rigelian hypnoid
    Giant rock creatures
    Remarkably human-looking (when they want to be except for that rebel Lucien guy) Megans
    Assorted heretofore unseen aliens on the Delta Triangle's ruling council
    The Kzinti (whom no one will mistake for Mensa candidates)
    Aquans, both stogy elders and rebellious kids.
    Sur-snake of Argo

*by request

Pauln6 and Henoch like this.
  11. Mytran

THE AMBERGRIS ELEMENT

This episode is wonderfully high concept and (thanks to the animated medium) realised very effectively. We get new Starfleet hardware, huge sea monsters, sprawling undersea vistas, the dramatic reveal of Dolmar of the Aquons...and what would any scifi underwater adventure be without Space Atlantis? Not to mention the body horror aspect of what was done to Kirk and Spock! Then, the story concludes with with Aquons on the Bridge of the Enterprise. The little bit of humour at the end (delivered by both guest aliens for once) was also quite funny!
    Coupled with social message of cooperation despite your differences (young people vs old this time), the whole story oozes classic Trek and is a great contribution to the canon.

The weakest aspect to the story is that there's a lot of searching and mini-missions. It feels most "fetchquesty" when, shortly after retrieving the ancient medical cure (in record time BTW!) McCoy announces that they now need to go BACK to the planet for sursnake venom :rolleyes:

It was probably still tired out from when that building fell on it in the previous scene. ;)
    Or was it supposed to be a different sur-snake? If so, why didn't Kirk just go back to the trapped and wounded sur-snake to harvest venom from THAT creature instead?
    And if they are two different sur-snakes, how unlucky is that a building fell on that one too? :shrug:

An ordinary shuttle is probably built to withstand one or two atmospheres of pressure at most, far less than the pressure felt at deep sea depths. Yes they might have been able to rig up a "protective shield" to reinforce the hull (like in The Immunity Syndrome) , but do Impulse Engines even work underwater?
    That little Starfleet dinghy is pretty nifty too :biggrin:

Better still, give them each a wetsuit and some fins for their feet!
    And how on earth did they swim miles under the ocean without dying of exhaustion?

OTHER THOUGHTS:
    • We get a new view of the shuttlebay! Turns out those control room looking things are actually…control rooms! :techman:
    • True to a scientific research mission, the landing party consists of Kirk, Spock, McCoy and a redshirt :brickwall:
    • Kirk and Spock are missing for FIVE DAYS? I guess it’s just Starfleet policy to never give up on your main characters
    • In Sickbay, Kirk and Spock are confined to a small box – with no toilet! No wonder he wants a third option to their dilemma!
    • The ancient records have the science to erase memories too? Even on aliens? This really is space-Atlantis! :D
    • It seems that forcefield belts work underwater too! I would mention the pressure thing again, but Scotty doesn't seem to go that far down.
    • As stated in the opening log, the planet is almost completely submerged in water. Normally that would make for some boring backdrops, but fortunately most of the above-water action takes place near a huge cluster of former mountain tops :devil:

I know we don’t normally comment on the animation in TAS, but the rippling water affect which is laid over the underwater scenes is pretty effective.
    We also get use of the “wipe” in this episode when cutting from one scene to another, uncommon in Trek. Perhaps it was included as standard in the “optical effect” machine used for the rippling and the editor just decided to make use of it?

Poltargyst and Henoch like this.
  12. Henoch

It's not just the floating thing, it's the submerged performance that makes it unique. It probably also has a specialized sensor suite tuned for underwater environments. The Enterprise must have picked up the aqua-shuttle just for this mission based on preparations laid out in the initial Captain's log:
    Prior TAS episodes showed no aqua-shuttle in the hangar bay, unless the far right front edge of a shuttlecraft is it?
    [​IMG]
    Nope, wrong fender shape:
    [​IMG]

13. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is a pretty cool assortment of shuttles.

14. Henoch

<Note: last vessel on right.> Kirk "confiscated" Carter Winston's one-man shuttle way back in The Survivor, and apparently kept it. I would, too; looks fast and fun. :techman:

Poltargyst likes this.
  15. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

That's just a standard piece of animation "ripple glass" which is a piece of glass which is flat on one side and has undulations on the opposite. It distorts the image seen through it and if you move it incrementally as you photograph each frame you get a wave effect.

Wipes were done on an optical printer.

WTH...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Henoch likes this.
  16. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

17. johnnybear

I think the Kzinti battles probably took place after man left the vicinity of his own area of space! These wars were probably little more than actual skirmishes or small battles! Do we assume that man met the Kzin before his near wars with the Klingons? Notice I said near, as in this universe the said conflict never happened! :D
    JB

18. Henoch

Love the new views of the hangar. The aqua-shuttle takes off fairly close to the clamshell hangar doors probably because the flight deck is so full of other shuttles by this point in the series as compared to only two shuttles way back in The Galileo Seven. I notice that they did away with the rotating elevator in the center of the floor during TAS, and decided to just park all the shuttles end-to-end on both sides of the flight deck. You'd think the hangar deck is large enough to hangar a whole fleet of today's jet liners...;)
    [​IMG]

19. Mytran

Oh, snap!!! :guffaw:

20. johnnybear

Are the Kzinti in Larry Niven's novels does anyone know?
    JB