Picard series and lens flares?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by JesterFace, Apr 29, 2019.

1. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

To be fair, it seemed that the increased use of lens flares in that episode was related to the Talosians using their mental powers.

2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

While we all know 'Disco' is a fictional television series, lens flares take away some "credibility".
    Every time there's a lens flare you're reminded that "we're shooting this with a camera. "There's a big shooting crew behind the camera".

That is one lens flare. If there was few in every episode in 'Disco' I wouldn't mind. But lens flares are all over the place, every episode, nearly every scene.
    The flare in 'Allegiance' doesn't need a camera, it can happen with your naked eye when looking at something very bright.

3. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Bitching about lens flares is a "these kids don't know good music, get off my lawn" rant that has outlived its cleverness.
    I didn't even notice them until people started bitching about them, and I bet half of the people bitching about them did not either.

Vger23, Ovation and Nerys Myk like this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The whole reason JJ Abrams included lens flares in ST'09 was because he loved that it gave the impression people were walking past and things were happening behind the camera, making the scene feel more active and alive.

I have to agree.

Ovation likes this.
  5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

No. They're nothing more than a source of tawdry distraction, which makes some people physically sick and others angry that a pointless blip of light is removing them from the dialogue - unless that's the point of the lens flare, as some of those episodes had mighty rotten dialogue...

JesterFace likes this.
  6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

So he couldn't afford people to walk behind talking actors like how they could in the 1960s, 1979, 1980s, 1990s, and so on... or have lights built into the computer console props so instead he goes overboard with lens flares? IDBI. (I don't believe it.)

He's said lots of things about mystery boxes and other things, which have all been deconstructed successfully and numerous timers by youtube peeps too, particularly for Star Wars since the truth about the mystery boxes being empty have been raging since 2016 if not 2017 - there never was a plan and was admitted back then, but I am traipsing into a different franchise as example via tangent. Same production style so it's not too tangential?

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Let's Make a Deal?

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope there are so many lens flares, it causes me to descend into endless seizures.

Lens flare the hell outta that fucker!!!

Spot's Meow likes this.
  9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Yes.

No.

If true, they should consult a physician. Could be something serious.

Such people should consider an alternative activity as it’s not healthy to become angry for such a trivial matter. Moreover, people so easily distracted should refrain from operating heavy machinery.

Alan Roi and Nerys Myk like this.
  10. F. King Daniel

He did and did. The lens flares are to indicate movement behind the placement of the camera.

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have never minded the lens flares and even liked them in the movies but I think it is time for a new look. Especially since were dealing with a new show. I feel the show should look bright but still modern like the new "Lost in Space." In fact I would love it if the show captured the spirit of that show.

Jason

12. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

:guffaw::guffaw:

Given what I heard he did with Geordi's visor during the TNG years (on Spiner's Fresh Hell series) that sounds just like a thing Stewart would spring on the audience.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  13. JesterFace

What about scenes where two people are alone and no one else is around? They are just sitting, only talking?
    And then, lens flare. No, just no.

14. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

I want Picard's cup of Earl Grey, hot to always have a lensflare along the rim when he pulls it out of the replicator. Yep. Every single time.

15. JesterFace

Whether a physician finds a problem or not, if someone gets nausea from lens flares, that means they may never be able to watch the series.

For some it may be a trivial matter, for some something annoying.
    It's not about getting distracted easily, it is something that catches your attention everytime it happens.

I wonder how exacly does a lens flare make it seem there's movement behind the camera.
    Are there people with flashlights and tin foil hats walking around?

Lens flares are a trend and maybe that trend will disappear soon. Sooner the better.

16. F. King Daniel

Do they have lens flares in scenes like that?

17. JesterFace

I don't remember exactly, maybe?

18. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes: the scene I mentioned earlier from STiD where Carol Marcus is talking to her dad about (not) destroying the Enterprise. Carol can't even be seen at one point because of the intensity of the flare.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Picard is just going to shine a flashlight in the camera for 48 minutes every episode.

20. F. King Daniel

In the scene on the bridge during a battle?

21. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Threads like this are why I've kept coming back to TrekBBS for 15 years.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  22. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no battle at that point. It's basically a soliloquy from Carol -- she's the one and only focus. No one else on the bridge is even moving. It's actually pretty offensive to Alice Eve, that her one big scene is ruined by excessive lens flare.