Spoilers On Seven and sexuality

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by rfmcdpei, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Still baffled why showing other human beings who are not white males is considered not the norm and SJW?

seigezunt, PiotrB, Hythlodeus and 7 others like this.
  2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It's because you aren't a deeply insecure person who's angry that there are people who are different from them and doesn't want TV to remind them that they exist. It's the same shit as those gamers who harassed women for having anything to do with gaming.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am white and male and really want this to happen more. Not that I think of myself as an SJW. I think just treating people as people is a good default to have.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    See, we don't complain about gay representation in Star Trek because we understand what Star Trek is supposed to be about.

5. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Their biggest issues is they are seeing anti-male sentiments in all the subtext and personalize it as attacks on them specifically. Not to mention they put a lot of focus on male represention. Unless the male is a Alpha male type they then see it as a attack on masculinity. It comes from a cross of increased diversity were the heroes are not always going to be the typical straight white male like in the past mixed together with homophobic feelings when it comes to masculinity then connected to spending way to much time following click bait sites were people can always find something some liberal somewhere that truly did say something bad and offensive then combined with the very polorized world we all live in these days were people are more divided than ever before on politics.

It's not just one thing. It's like many things coming together triggering people in ways they may have always felt on some level in the past but now pulling it all up to the surface. It's why people don't seem able to even feel guilt anymore when they say something bad. Everyone is itching for a fight because everything, even something like tv characters is seen as some kind of fight for their freedom to believe what they want to believe. Plus people enjoy seeing those on the other side fail on a cathartic level which is the main reason Trump was elected anyways. He was going to be the anti-SJW who would make them cry on their behalf.

Jason

MrPicard likes this.
  6. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

It's not just freedom to believe what they want to believe, though. It's the freedom to believe what they want to believe and to never be criticized for believing it.

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The only reason you know what happens with Tom and B’lanna is because you probably saw all 7 seasons of Voy. If Tom and B’lanna had begun their relationship in season 1 of Voy you might have been able to say the same thing about one of them after 1 or 2 seasons. At that point we had no idea how much of the character’s storyline would be about their romance. By the end of DSC’s run, Culber’s storyline could go just about anywhere.

Your observation appears to me to be based more on longevity and familiarity, than fact.
    I brought up the “crew” because you brought it up. If you’re implying that 2 gay people are an unusually high number for a crew, and that is what you said, then it makes sense to look at the ENTIRE crew. If the crew is only 2 people, then your premise makes sense, but with a crew of 136, it does not make sense.

If you meant only senior staff that’s what you should have said,, but even still, 1 or 2 gay people among 8 or 9 people is still not a big deal. BTW, I don’t think Culber is senior staff,
    Well, DID you have a problem with it before?

So, you think the “pendulum” has swung too far in the other direction? You’re saying there are “too many” gay people on PIC and DSC, and who knows what else.

Once again, if you didn’t have a problem with too few gay people before, then why would you have a problem with gay people in TV shows now? Are you saying there are too many?

Sounds like you just have a problem with gay people, or maybe you’re just concerned that there aren’t enough straight people on shows.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  8. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

There really isn’t much difference between “political” and “financial” issues. Financial reasons has been the reason most often given, but for many studios, it was just old fashion prejudice. It sounds less callous to say they might lose money.

But no one did any studies on this, it was just easier to point to money rather than I hate “gay people” or “black people” or “women,”

9. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the way it goes was that in TNG there was a big Hell No.

They were flexible by DS9.

But by Voyager and ENT (new network) that it was only Berman who hated the idea and was against it.

seigezunt likes this.
  10. Kerock

Kerock Commander Red Shirt

I thought she was bi

11. Charles Phipps

The assumption is 7 is bi now.

Kerock likes this.
  12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Chakotay identified as male, sure.

Maybe he was Two-spirits?

Putting all the gaystuff in the Mirror Universe was explained in Far Beyond the Stars.

"What if it's a dream? If it's in a dream, it's not real, and no one can complain."

Kerock likes this.
  13. Charles Phipps

My headcanon is that everyone bi in the Mirror Universe is bi in the regular universe.

14. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

This is what I mean by the pacing-- it looks really confusing. Or odd, since before that they barely interacted with each other.

But either way, that finger connection was obvious. That's an affectionate or flirting type gesture. Tie that in with the dialog Seven had with Bjayzl and it may suggest clues to Seven's preferences.

I understand that one. It's like she's one of those sexy characters you just have to salivate over, just because everyone says you should.

.........But still, have you ever Seven just walk down a hall in that catsuit????

It's kind of ironic that the controversy of these discussions online isn't about whether Trek refuses to show LGBT at all, but rather if showing it too much and with a popular character at that.

I think a lot of it revolves around the fact that Seven is something of an iconic character that may be Bi or gay.

The controversies used to be Picard vs Kirk, DS9 vs TNG. Now it's is Trek too SJW vs whether this real Trek at all.

Lord Garth and Charles Phipps like this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hold on...

[​IMG]

SolarisOne likes this.
  16. Charles Phipps

I wonder what the Nerdometer lists the Star Trek (presumably heterosexual male) geek who finds bisexual catsuit wearing assassins icky.

More or less than the ones who enjoy them?

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wesly wore a cat suit too.

Ashley Judd kept her shit on point.

18. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's the only way it's palatable.

19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Yes. It's fucking ridiculous. I liked the old debates better. At least back then, it was just about the shows. Now it's about something else that actually really has nothing to do with the actual shows themselves at all. They're just used as a front. And I'm pretty disgusted by it. What the "other side" is arguing for, or more accurately against, is something where I'm at a loss for words to say what I really think. So I won't.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  20. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Now on 31 pages because 2 women locked hands and may have had off screen sex.
    Clearly Bisexuality on TV is not an issue for anyone in the 21st century :lol:

lawman, Nyotarules, Markonian and 5 others like this.