Ok. What is the chance of a Picard spinoff?

I think the main ones we know would obviously be Seven, Raffi, Jack, and Sidney.

Jonathan Frakes has been loud about wanting the spinoff and wanting Riker to make appearances and for his daughter to be on the ship. I assume that'll probably happen in some form too.

Other than Riker, I assume we'd get appearances from Beverly, Geordi, and Deanna given they're the actors that have said they want to do more.

After that, idk. Honestly for any spinoff, I'd be way happier if the cast was mostly new characters plus Seven and Raffi. But I know that's not going to be the case if it ever happens, so I hope they resist the urge to load the ship up with every nepo kid they can find.

Honestly for any spinoff, I'd be way happier if the cast was mostly new characters plus Seven and Raffi. But I know that's not going to be the case if it ever happens, so I hope they resist the urge to load the ship up with every nepo kid they can find.
This is my preference, but yes they will steer towards the nepotism angle with Jack, Sydney, Riker Jr., Mirial Paris, Kim Jr., Ransom Jr. and Alexander as the inept security chief.

I mean, I don't know how you don't do Jack after setting him up for an entire season and that teaser with Q.

Matalas said he already has the plan in his head for the Legacy cast.

Plans change, I do not think the teaser or the initial thoughts could be an issue.
Showrunners can always make compromises in order to sell their show..

But, they're really not that much more narratively important than other characters. Jack is ultimately a supporting character, and Chapel is arguably the breakout star of SNW.

Chapel is the breakout star of SNW? According to whom? She's sexy and fun. That's about it.

Hemmer seems to be the one that most were praising and wanting more of. Aside from Pike.

And Jack is central to the main plot of S3. The whole thing revolves around him and Picard's final development also hinges on him. Far more important than the other characters we listed. Anecdotally, look how often Jack is coming up in conversation here, even when discussing the season plot.

If you're serious about finding non-white guy characters just as likable and well-written as white guy characters, you need to do a better job of demonstrating it.

Nah. Most people aren't as easily offended, or desperate to make silly accusations.

I'm good.

Here's some facts. I love DS9. I'd put Sisko, Worf, Kira, Jadzia and most others above the diverse characters in Nu Trek. By a mile.

Chapel is the breakout star of SNW? According to whom?

Jess Bush is the actor who got the most mainstream media attention over SNW last summer.

Nah. Most people aren't as easily offended, or desperate to make silly accusations.

I'm good.

Here's some facts. I love DS9. I'd put Sisko, Worf, Kira, Jadzia and most others above the diverse characters in Nu Trek. By a mile.

You say you're not biased in favor of white guys, and then you go and use the same dogwhistle terms racists and misogynists use -- in this instance, calling characters who aren't white guys "diverse."

You're undermining my trust that you're speaking honestly.

Jess Bush is the actor who got the most mainstream media attention over SNW last summer.
You say you're not biased in favor of white guys, and then you go and use the same dogwhistle terms racists and misogynists use -- in this instance, calling characters who aren't white guys "diverse."

You're undermining my trust that you're speaking honestly.

You're reaching.

And even Paramount and Kurtzman use the term Diverse for their marketing. Quite often. See the press release for Starfleet Academy. :lol:

The question is why Picard would let that nickname slide. Just look at the Martin Madden deleted scene from NEM. Sure it's not canon, but it does demonstrate the most recent aspect of the character.

The JL thing was a major tool in the YouTuber anti-season 1 toolkit. And they do have a point.

And to think all this started because I actually tried to defend Raffi's portrayal in season 3, and that Michelle Hurd shouldn't be blamed for faults in her character early on...
Depends on his relationship with Raffi. I let certain people call me “Mikey”. Others aren’t not allowed. And old girl friend of mine had a nickname used by her family, I never used it. It was between them.

I think the YouTubers are the tools, if that’s something that bothered them. If their arguments are similar to what I encountered here over the past three seasons, they don’t have a point.

Michelle seems quite fond of Raffi. All three seasons of her.

You're reaching.

No, I'm not. You're using a dogwhistle whether you know it or not.

And even Paramount and Kurtzman use the term Diverse for their marketing. Quite often. See the press release for Starfleet Academy. :lol:

They use "diverse" to refer to the cast as a collective unit. You used "diverse" to refer to individual characters. There's a pretty big difference right off the bat. A person is not diverse; groups of people are diverse. When you use "diverse" to refer to one person who is from a marginalized community rather than to a group of people, that's the same practice employed by racist reactionaries as a way of telling their audience the term "diverse" is bad. So, yes, it undermines my trust in you.

I'm not reaching. I am trying to help you understand what you could do to build trust so that people don't misinterpret you.

This is my preference, but yes they will steer towards the nepotism angle with Jack, Sydney, Riker Jr., Mirial Paris, Kim Jr., Ransom Jr. and Alexander as the inept security chief.

0nD92h0.jpeg

Coming soon to Paramount+

No, I'm not. You're using a dogwhistle whether you know it or not.
They use "diverse" to refer to the cast as a collective unit. You used "diverse" to refer to individual characters. There's a pretty big difference right off the bat. A person is not diverse; groups of people are diverse. When you use "diverse" to refer to one person who is from a marginalized community rather than to a group of people, that's the same practice employed by racist reactionaries as a way of telling their audience the term "diverse" is bad. So, yes, it undermines my trust in you.

I'm not reaching. I am trying to help you understand what you could do to build trust so that people don't misinterpret you.

Lol. I said diverse characters.

So did Sonequa;
Diverse characters are not just tokens.” Martin-Green says"
https://www.vulture.com/2018/05/star-trek-discovery-cast-talk-about-diverse-series-casting.html

And I could find way more quotes in a matter of seconds with a simple search.

You just seem deadset to call me a sexist, racist, etc just because I find Discovery to be a complete shitshow.

If that makes you feel better, go for it :) Makes no difference to me.

I'm off to a very important hockey game now, sooo enjoy the 'discussion.'

You just seem deadset to call me a sexist, racist, etc just because I find Discovery to be a complete shitshow.

I've given you warnings twice now about what you can do to build trust. It's your call if you don't want to build trust, but don't get surprised when people lump you in with the bigots when you use their dogwhistles.

Ah, there we go. Racism (Michael and Raffi have nothing in common except both are black women) and misogyny (accusing women of being over-emotional) all in one package, and you drag in your weird baggage about how much you resent your ex-wife.

An awfully insulting way to make a point. Why would you imply that, i am a racist or misogynistic, only because i criticize 2 actors and the characters they play, who happen to be women and black?

You are completely out of line, and if you’d knew how much i have fought for social equality you’d apologize at once.

This is one of the worst insults, you could throw at anyone and i am going to report it…

Back