Ok. What is the chance of a Picard spinoff?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by ELCHawk, Apr 23, 2023.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I said something to him a few posts above about doing the same thing with another poster; but yes, this would be another example.

2. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Commander Troi and Citiprime like this.
  3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Getting back the entire TNG Cast for PIC Season 3 was a one-time thing to give them a Proper Ending. That's not happening with DS9. Not without Avery Brooks and Rene Auberjonois. Plus Niners seem to be happy to leave things with "What You Leave Behind" and I think they'd have a hard time accepting a full-on DS9 Continuation without Ira Steven Behr involved. They might do it with the VOY Cast. Might. But more likely, if Legacy has any TNG/DS9/VOY Characters (why am I saying "if"?), it'll be back to PIC Season 1 and 2 levels.

Anduinel and Sci like this.
  4. Lord Garth

Anyway, to get this back on topic: Let's talk about Strange New Worlds... :p

... and how it relates to Legacy!

DSC Season 2 ended in April 2019. SNW was formally announced in May 2020. Active discussions about the series had begun in January of the same year. (source)

So serious discussion for SNW didn't begin until nine months after DSC Season 2 ended, and then it took another four months for a formal announcement. The two-year delay for the series premiering can be blamed on Covid, so that wouldn't apply to Legacy.

Based on that timeline, this is how things would look for Legacy if they were exactly the same as SNW...

• April 2023: PIC Season 3 ends.
    • January 2024: Serious talks about Legacy begin.
    • May 2024: Legacy is announced. By happy coincidence TNG ended 30 years ago this month, the perfect time to make such an announcement!

The only difference now is that we have to see how much merger with Showtime will help things (or change things) for Paramount+.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Commander Troi likes this.
  5. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

I would personally mark right now as when "serious" talks about Legacy have started. Matalas and Kurtzman are working on proposals to send to the powers that be, thats more than just idle nothingness.

6. locborg

locborg Commander Red Shirt

this would be kinda late. First of all we only have the information Matalas/Kurtzman provided us with. For all we know, they could have consulted with their superiors, the moment the first hype ratings came in. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d formally announce ST Legacy within the next 8 weeks.

Right now, they can still ride on their wave of success. If they pick up talks as late as January 2024, the bean counters will give them a hard time. Squeeze the orange, when it’s still fresh…

7. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

One thing that might have played a larger role than we think is the devastating report on Paramounts profits and outlook that came out yesterday.

That might impact any potential "legacy" show

8. Lord Garth

They won't do nothing for May 23rd, 2024. So maybe new cast additions announced then, or a teaser?

9. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think an announcement would come before the end of this year, within 3 months of the WGA strike ending (which can only run for about 3.5 months before union unity would fall apart according to different analysts).

Here are some of the factors I see in play:
    • Both DISCOVERY (first three seasons) and PICARD (all seasons) were largely funded by external sources (Netflix, Amazon)
    • DISCOVERY likely had a 3+2 year deal
    • SNW was the first live action NuTrek series to be solely funded by Paramount... does Anson Mount have a 3 year deal? an option to extend to 4 or 5 seasons?
    • How well will SNW season 2 perform relative to SNW season 1?
    • How well has PS3 performed compared to other STP seasons and vis a vis DISCOVERY/SNW?
    • Did PS3 bring in new viewers that hadn't watched earlier STP seasons or Disco+SNW?
    • Did PS3 viewers take up other Star Trek content? If so did they stick with seasons to the end or fail to complete them? Did they get into the Taylor Sheridan stuff or that Kiefer Sutherland project or ______?
    • There is some kind of Janeway/Seven miniseries in the pre-planning stages... could that be rolled into Legacy?
    • Is Khan going to stay a podcast, or could it get upgraded to a live action miniseries?
    • How in demand will Terry Matalas be after the strike?
    Hopefully one result from the WGA stike will be public, transparent streaming numbers and we can do a lot better at reading the tea leaves...

10. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would say this part is unlikely, as iirc, it was originally planned as a miniseries, then downgraded.

11. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Studios always have an out. Even if Anson has a contract, P+ can opt to not renew the show.

The Screen Actors Guild contract expires in June.

The last thing the studios need right now is a double whammy of WGA AND SAG going on strike.

Commander Troi likes this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I wonder what the nature of the contracts Mount, Peck and Romijn signed were? Also when they were signed. I assume Ryan, Hurd and Speleers must have some sort of agreement in place. Maybe just a “handshake” as this stage. In watching the Shuttlepod Show I’ve discovered many things about the industry. Like actors being paid not to take on another job, in case a particular role or show comes up.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's basically the same timeframe between the end of Disco S2 and the announcement for SNW was made.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How in demand was he before the strike?

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Matalas already signed on to do a show for one of the other streaming services? Maybe Amazon Prime? I'd assume he's still obligated to that, and combined with the strike, it could be a while before he even has a chance to get to Legacy.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

According IMDB he has one upcoming credit with "Witch Mountain" which I am assuming is a Disney+ show but could be wrong.

17. hellojane

hellojane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Matalas said at the end of the new All Access Trek Podcast that he has a deal at Paramount/CBS now (or maybe he's had one for a while and this is the first time he's mentioned it) to make shows for them and wouldn't say or commit to what it he's doing over there. Obviously the strike means everything is on hold though.

Lord Garth, Reanok and Danja like this.
  18. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's been busy with something the last ten years give or take. TERRA NOVA, NIKITA, then 12 MONKEYS. He was a consulting producer on a SyFy series, wrote some potential pilots for CBS, then signed a deal with CBS. Instead of immediately ending up on a Star Trek, he ran MACGYVER for 2/3rds of its fourth season. An upcoming project is co-writing the screenplay for a Bewitched project at Sony.

Yes, this pilot filmed in Toronto last December.

This deal started around 2019 and runs until sometime this year.

PICARD season 3 has apparently been well received by MCU head Kevin Feige and the President of 20th Century Studios, so he'll be on many people's radars moving forward.

19. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

If at first you don't succeed ... :rolleyes:

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terry also mentioned in the Trekmovie interview that since the writers strike that he can't work on the plans he had for tv shows he wanted to work on and he can't say anything about working on any shows right now.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Sci, Commander Troi and Danja like this.