Ok. What is the chance of a Picard spinoff?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by ELCHawk, Apr 23, 2023.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Presumably because he didn't have a stick up his ass about it.

No, they don't. The complaint is ridiculous and without merit.

2. hellojane

hellojane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why do we need a deep explanation on a nickname though? Sometimes nicknames just happen and stick. Most people let nicknames slide because they don't care.

Commander Troi and Sci like this.
  3. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To many people, it felt very out of character for Picard to have let something like that slide. TBF, it might have gone over better without the season 1 "deconstruction" of the character.

4. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

They really don't.

5. Sci

I mean, it might have been out of character for his TNG S1 self. But to argue that it would have been out of character for him post-NEM is to ignore literally a decade and a half of character development and evolution across seven television seasons and four feature films. Over that time, he became a much more personable man who stopped being so big on formality at all times. He pulled the stick out of his ass.

It is perfectly consistent with the kind of man Picard had become by 2379 that he would be okay with Raffi nick-naming him "J.L."

6. TerryTrek

TerryTrek Captain Captain

All..two of them? Pike and Jack?

[​IMG]

The two important focus characters of the two most well-received Nu Trek seasons.

You must have missed my posts making fun of Ethan Peck's Spock, or how terribly miscast and boring the Paul Wesley Jim Kirk is.

It seemed to rile up the usual select few... but it goes against your narrative, as they are both 'white guys'

:lol:

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if Picard was a stick in the mud like early TNG.

Nyotarules and Sci like this.
  8. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reference the look Picard gives Martin Madden in NEM.

Yes, yes, it's a deleted scene... but Riker wouldn't have set it up if being that causal with Picard wouldn't have been an issue in 2379. YMMV

9. Sci

Which of the nuTrek characters you find likable and effectively written aren't white guys?

10. Sci

It's a deleted scene for a reason. Being semi-casual with Picard wouldn't be an issue in 2379, especially if he's served with you for a while and built up some trust and a connection. We know from PIC S1 that Picard and Raffi served together for years in the 2380s.

11. fireproof78

Deleted. Not canon.

Picard has an established relationship with Raffi. It includes a nickname.

I believe this should be inoffensive at best.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  12. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Season 3 Captain Riker angrily dismisses his superior, Admiral Picard from the bridge of the Titan, complaints by some fans..none. And calls him Jean Luc...shock, horror
    Season 1 Commander Hurd calls her superior Admiral Picard J.L, complaints by some fans....many.
    :rolleyes:

13. RuleofAcuisition17

RuleofAcuisition17 Commander Red Shirt

Your statement was "I can't see him opening a $250m box office movie."

I provided you with Ed Speelers as the lead on a movie which made $250m.

===========

Also, fun with nicknames. I have an "uncle" who was incredibly close with my parents. He's a respected man with a lovely wife and has had a good, storied career.

I call him "Smiffy" and have done so since I was about 3.

I am the only person to call him by this nickname. To the point he's responded to others and shut them down for it.

Even at my mothers funeral, he sighed heavily about that nickname I stilled called him despite not seeing him for over a decade beforehand.

Many years later I've been given a nickname by a "Niece" and will probably carry that nickname for the rest of my nattural and unattural life.

Sometimes you get a nickname from one person and it's their nickname for you and you alone. And you accept it.

14. TerryTrek

Sidney, Seven, Beverly, Geordi, Worf!, Troi, Number One, and to a lesser extent Chapel, Uhura and T'Veen if they were given more to work with.

And Rios was very likeable and fun, thanks to the actor, but given really poor material to work with... up until his unceremonious end.

What else you got? ;)

15. Sci

Seven, Beverly, Geordi, Worf, and Troi are not nuTrek characters; they are legacy characters.

Glad to hear it about Sidney, Una, Chapel, Una, and T'Veen. You should actually talk about finding them likable and effectively written, because you haven't at all and your posts really do come across as giving favoritism to white guys.

16. Bgt

Bgt Commander Red Shirt

Is there/shall we start a poll about a possible cast for the spinoff?
    Like, Jack or not Jack?

17. Sci

I mean, I don't know how you don't do Jack after setting him up for an entire season and that teaser with Q.

To me right now, it looks like the cast would be:
    • Seven of Nine
    • Raffi Musiker
    • Sidney LaForge
    • Jack Crusher
    I suppose Esmar and Mura could be characters too, assuming they ever become actual characters and not walking props like S3 treated them as.

If I were showrunner, I'd try to bring on Worf, Geordi, Q, Beverly, and Janeway as the occasional guest star. I would be tempted to try to talk Sir Patrick into guest starring once or twice but ultimately I think "The Last Generation" should be his final appearance.

Commander Troi likes this.
  18. TerryTrek

I have praised them before. However, Pike and Jack have much more narrative importance to their respective series, so they will inevitably be discussed a lot more.

Matalas said he already has the plan in his head for the Legacy cast.

He said it will involve Riker, Jack, Seven, Shaw, Sidney, Geordi, Worf, Beverly etc.

It will be standalone episodes with some serialized arcs. DS9 one week, Klingons another etc.

19. fireproof78

Well, they can't all be winners.

20. Sci

But, they're really not that much more narratively important than other characters. Jack is ultimately a supporting character, and Chapel is arguably the breakout star of SNW.

If you're serious about finding non-white guy characters just as likable and well-written as white guy characters, you need to do a better job of demonstrating it.