MemoryAlpha editor refuses to change Adira's Gender to "Non-Binary"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by nafeasonto, Jan 9, 2021.

1. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good point, but Kosinski did say something that appeared to confirm he was human -- or at least very strongly implied it. He said:
    "In order to save time, my assistant is going to lay in my base formulas more rapidly than any human being possibly could, including even myself."
    However, your overall point is still correct. Memory Alpha has many examples of minor characters (usually Starfleet personnel) who are listed as Human but it was never said onscreen that they were actually human. It seems Memory Alpha makes the assumption that if someone in Starfleet looks Human, then they are in fact Human -- even though there are other non-human species who look Human.

Just look at the variety of Admirals that have appeared on the various shows. All the ones who look human are listed on Memory Alpha as Human, even though in most cases the actual species of each of those admirals is never specified.

Granted, that's a pretty fair assumption to make, but it is not said onscreen (which seems to be Memory Alpha's criteria). Likewise, all the information we have for Adira should lead Memory Alpha to the same assumption that Adira is non-binary, even though those words were never stated onscreen.

3. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

You've done a lot of work finding that and I'm not entirely sure why.

4. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It took maybe three minutes of searching for the word "human" in the transcript for the TNG episode Where no one has Gone Before. Another minute to copy/paste the line and write the post.

The "why" is because it is germane to the discussion that Memory Alpha lists vital information about a character even if that information was never stated onscreen.

If MA can say that Admiral so-and-so is a human even though it was never stated, then MA should say that Adira is non-binary.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Just further support of the point that the canon argument has been applied inconsistently, if not that it is being applied hypocritically.

Awesome Possum and Court_Vince like this.
  6. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It can also be used to argue anything you want if you nitpick it enough because somethings are never implicitly stated, but so clearly implied that it's taken as granted. It's only problem in the case of a non-binary character, but it's just canon and not just regular old transphobia in a society where transphobia was openly acceptable until about five years ago.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This whole fiasco is just making me want to start applying double-negative canon to everything. It has never been stated on screen that Spock does not have a forked penis, therefore he does. That's canon.

Rey, Vger23, CorporalCaptain and 6 others like this.
  8. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

There's more evidence for Klingons having two penises than one. Just saying.:shrug:

Rey, CorporalCaptain and The Wormhole like this.
  9. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

But did Tuvix?

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there? All I saw was two streams of piss. Can we really be canonically certain they originate from two separate penises?

That's the thing about being a canon zealot like MA is trying to be. You can literally take the strict adherence to tear apart everything. After all, how much actually gets firmly and definitively stated on screen without the rest of us making assumptions based on common sense? But since common sense apparently isn't canonical...
    Tuvix's penis was half forked like the typical Vulcan's, and half puffed like the typical Talaxian's.

Prove me canonically wrong.

CorporalCaptain and fireproof78 like this.
  11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

The Memory Alpha guidelines for the description and deuteronimization of genitalia are very complicated and byzantine, having been labored over for years by the intense efforts of Top Men with extremely powerful right wrists. As I understand it, the tome is kept chained next to the Voynich Manuscript, the Fourth Rosicrucian Manifesto, and the ENT Season 5 Scripts in the lower vaults of the Vatican library.

12. Awesome Possum

It's canon that Klingons have redundant organs, so it's two penises. They never said they only have one penis, so that's as good as confirming it.

13. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Except Worf. Canonically, Worf IS a dick

14. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Every character could've been bi. 90% of the crews were never seen on screen. Garak was supposed to be omnisexual, but on screen, we only saw him have some vague affection for a guy and true love for a girl. A Bolian on DS9 had both husbands and wives. Odo merging with the male founder was just as sensual as merging with the female founder. Please do explain what linear time has to do with it ;)

I assume it has something to do with linear time... XD

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If the girl Garak had true love for is intended to be a reference to Ziyal, then FWIW I never read it that way.

Sci, frankieteardrop and Jinn like this.
  16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The universal translator is a racist bigot.

Jadzia always said "they", but the magic word changing mist floating around them was too basic and hateful to fully actualize what they were saying.

Seriously, 80 percent of the time on that show, they were using a Cardassian Universal Translator. There had to have been a lot of offensive problems tripping up our friends, before they finally replaced it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

O'Brien probably added a filter to call all Cardassians "spoonheads" before Starfleet OPR made him remove it.

SolarisOne and Hythlodeus like this.
  18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She was a Breen slave?

Kes was obviously a sex slave, and created a smurf like personality to cope with that trauma.

I don't see the Breen doing that?

Maybe they are too civilized to give a rapist a gun and a uniform, or maybe they just don't take those "uniforms" off for any reason even if they really, really, really want to commit sexual assault on a slave, because keeping that secret, is more important than a random orgasm.

So Ziyal was probably a virgin when she showed up to DS9, and started wooing a tailor 5 times her age.

19. Awesome Possum

I'm not playing this pedantic game with you. Star Trek never had LGBTQ characters before Star Trek Beyond (to a pathetically small degree) and Discovery due to the intentions of the producers who fought against it every time it came up. Unseen characters don't count, an actor playing a character as gay until he's told to stop and they give him a female love interest doesn't count, a random alien in a polycule doesn't count, aliens doing alien things doesn't count, none of it counts because they had to find it behind layers of bullshit and then go out of their way to show the audience that they weren't really gay. They couldn't even fully commit to it in Star Trek Beyond. This is an absolute failure on the part of the franchise. There were positive portrayals of LGBTQ characters on broadcast TV in the 1970s, Star Trek finally did it in 2017.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ditto. We never once saw Garak express romantic feelings for Ziyal, behave with romantic affection, or even kiss her back when she kissed him. Every time she expressed her feelings for him, Garak's body language would close off -- he was extremely uncomfortable with her romantic feelings for him.