• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Spoilers Lower Decks General Discussion Thread

Erm, whut? What does any of that have to do with the production or storytelling advantages of animation versus live action Laura was talking about? But also, I don’t think there’s anything really all that “crazy” about a person that presents one gender “up top”, but is another “down below”. Heck, since no Trek production is ever likely to show a character’s genitals, how exactly are you able to tell we didn’t already have “crazy shit” like that on Trek? :confused:

point taken thanks.
 
Rogue AI is the literal plot of the Dr. Richard Daystrom episode, one of the most tragic and well-acted episodes of TOS Season 2. Writers in 1968 had a good bead on misguided AI decades before the real world.

I had The Ultimate Computer and The Omega Glory on VHS as a kid, and watched them time and time again.

Just as relevant today as it was in the 60s, the fear of losing your job

MCCOY: We're all sorry for the other guy when he loses his job to a machine. When it comes to your job, that's different. And it always will be different.
KIRK: Am I afraid of losing command to a computer? Daystrom's right. I can do a lot of other things. Am I afraid of losing the prestige and the power that goes with being a starship captain? Is that why I'm fighting it? Am I that petty?

The redirection of power to drive the AI.
SPOCK: I am not familiar with these instruments, Doctor. You are using an entirely new type of control mechanism. However, it appears to me this unit is drawing more power than before.
DAYSTROM: Quite right. As the unit is called upon to do more work, it pulls more power to enable it to do what is required of it, just as the human body draws more energy to run than to stand still.

Does an AI think, do we think, what is the difference between thinking and a large language model.
KIRK: Granted, it can work a thousand, a million times faster than the human brain, but it can't make a value judgment. It hasn't intuition. It can't think.

This one is more an insight on efficiency and process. Somewhat undercut that McCoy ever needed an excuse to be on the bridge, but McCoy isn't a machine, he can't simply be stored in the off state like an emergency medical hologram.

MCCOY: All the Sickbay systems are shut down until such time as the M-5is informed there are patients to be cared for.

Would you take orders from chatgpt?
SPOCK: Practical, Captain? Perhaps. But not desirable. Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them. Captain the starship also runs on loyalty to one man, and nothing can replace it, or him.

And many people need to feel useful. Just sitting there isn't good enough.
KIRK: I've, I've never felt this way before. At odds with the ship. I sat there and watched my ship perform for a mass of circuits and relays, and felt useless. Unneeded. To Captain Dunsel.
 
After watching Lower Decks and Prodigy recently and realizing I like Lower Decks slightly more than Prodigy, today really does feel like Lower Decks day at Star Trek Las Vegas. They had the four main actors first and now they have Lewis, Tatascoire, Vigman, and LaMarr. It’s two hours of Lower Decks greatness. In between the panels they had all of them on stage together and it was kind of emotional. Lower Decks is alive and well.
 
Last edited:
I know it’s just talk at this point and Star Trek is up in the air now, but I too read that report about a lower decks movie and I would gladly welcome one. Maybe this thought should go into the missed streaming opportunities thread, but I wish we got more movies on streaming. Maybe Section 31 didn’t succeed, but like the saying goes, if at first you don’t succeed, try try again.
 
Rewatched the series and wondering if all the computers in the computer prison are actually canon.


There were tons of them, and would we have seen any of them in other series?
 
Tawny Newsome and Eugene Cordero are prepping for a Lower Decks rewatch podcast. However this is not that podcast! Podcasts need preparation and this is their preparation podcast for the rewatch podcast. :lol:

Seriously, these guys are hilarious together and I can't wait for it to come together.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 
Last edited:
Tawny Newsome and Eugene Cordero are prepping for a Lower Decks rewatch podcast. However this is not that podcast! Podcasts need preparation and this is their preparation podcast for the rewatch podcast. :lol:

Seriously, these guys are hilarious together and I can't wait for it to come together.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I really wanted to like their test episode, but I made it in about ten minutes before I gave up. I've enjoyed Tawny on the other podcasts she hosts, but this one felt a little forced to me. I'm kinda getting bored of the celebrity vanity rewatch podcast genre.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top