Klingon change for season 2?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Roald, Aug 6, 2018.

1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I think she was getting "The Voq" out of her in that scene.

After she took it out of Ash it had no place else to go, so this season They are putting it back into him.
    :klingon:

Tuskin38 likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rahul likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna have to agree with Rahul here, it's not adding variety because they're replacing what we've seen in the past. The only way it would be adding variety to the Klingons as a whole was if we saw the Disco Klingons alongside TNG and/or TOS Klingons.
    I do like what little we saw of L'Rell in the trailer, just adding hair already brings the new look quite a bit closer to the TNG look.

Rahul and Longinus like this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

L'Rell is looking a bit fishy, which I didn't see in the season one make-up. Might just be the angle and lighting in the clip.

saddestmoon likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see it that way but that's OK. Agree to disagree.

6. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First of all: Whoever directly accused the producers on twitter of back-pedaling: Don't.
    They made a mistake with the bald Klingons. They fixed their mistake. And they fixed it in a way that is compatible with their previous iteration. Nobody can ask for more!

Second: Of course it's "backpedaling". Because those sensory organs were specifically cited as the reason for "why" the klingons are bald. They moved away from that idea. But NONE OF THAT WAS EVER CANON! Neither that Klingons were biologically bald in the first season. Nor the existence of the extra sensory organs for that matter. It's all behind the scenes stuff, interviews and writers bible background information. They are allowed to screw with that as much as they please. Like the four sexes of Andorians, Spock being the first Vulcan in Starfleet, the size of the Constitution class - as long as there never has been a CANON source that contradicts it, they can do whatever they want with it. And even then canon is broken sometimes, and nobody cares. Is it weird that Klingons shaved their eyebrows? Yeah. Does it matter if the issue is fixed now? No. Not at all.

And last of all: He is also 100% justified in calling it "not backpaddling". They adjusted. They had an original idea. Fans hated it. Now they put it in a new context where they can please both the fans, but also aknowledge their original idea as in-universe continuity at the same time. Job well done. Case closed.

7. Tuskin38

The people working on the show also never said Klingons were naturally bald. They’ve always said they cut their hair for the ridges.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What’s funny is that no one had seen Klingons for 100 years, and when they are finally seen, absolutely no one mentioned why they didn’t have hair.

“We’re not backpedaling,” my ass.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

They’re not backpedaling, they’ve been saying before Season 1 even aired that they have hair.

10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Georgiou: Yuck, what happened to you guys?? :wtf:
    Burnham: Viral mutation? Widespread industrial kitchen accidents?
    T'Kuvma: We do not discuss it with outsiders! :klingon:

Kor

Turtletrekker likes this.
  11. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except that's not true. One admiral speaking in hyperbole doesn't negate the fact that DSC showed quite clearly that there has been some semi regular contact with them throughout that time.

12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have they? You keep saying that, but I don't remember seeing the quote.

Kor and Rahul like this.
  13. fireproof78

Yeah, it's not backpeddling, not is any of the Klingon appearances contradictory to prior lore. Just a whole lot of hand ringing over production staff discussion.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Source, please.

And that doesn’t negate the fact that not a single person ever mentioned that the Klingons shaved their heads.

Jesus Christ, people. They fucked up, and they’d rather spout some bullshit instead of admitting it. Accept the fact the the people at CBS are a bunch of liars. Or not; I don’t really care.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  15. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are back-pedaling on behind the scenes stuff.

They are not contradicting anything they created canonically. Saying "they back-pedaled" is both right and wrong at the same time, and simply not a good description of what they actually did.

They revised and refined a decision they previously made. That's good. They even found an explanation for how the original decision still makes sense in the new context. That's even better.

They should continue doing exactly this.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I do a lot of bullshitting in my line of work too. It’s amazing what people will believe if you sound authoritative enough.

Sakonna likes this.
  17. fireproof78

They made a change. Doesn't make them liars.

XCV330 and Tuskin38 like this.
  18. Tuskin38

Nothing about this makes them liars.

[​IMG]

XCV330 likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah...except for the fact that people lie on the internet all the time. I see nothing in that post that shows actual proof that they envisioned the Klingons had shaven heads from the start. Just some guy toting a line.

But whatever. In the big scheme of things, I could care less if they’re BSing or not. If the show is good they can lie all they want.

Jadeb likes this.
  20. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which fandom is that??? I'll have to check it out! :bolian:

Turtletrekker and fireproof78 like this.