Jodie is back for next year.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

What reason would satisfy you?

2. Professor Zoom

Even the UK consists of more than white men.

The Wormhole likes this.
  3. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Probably because traditionally, The Doctor was male. Traditionally, Jesus was male. Traditionally, George Washington was male. Traditionally, JFK was male. Traditionally, James T. Kirk was male. There is nothing wrong with tradition. If they believe females need a role-model, create a new one, specifically for them. Doctor #13 is a cheat. She didn't have to go trials and tribulations of being a female for the last 2000 years (whatever that might mean for wherever The Doctor traveled). It'd be more interesting (and legitimate) if it were a new character who went thru those things. They are quick to point out (rightfully) the problems African-British had to face (and may still face) in the UK. Ryan brings it up all the time. If next turn The Doctor was black, he/she wouldn't understand what it is to be black. Maybe on Gallifrey, it'll not present a problem, but on travels to other planets (20th/21st Century Earth :)) it could.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s not the point of the change that thing are going to be harder for the Doctor now, or that it would have been harder had she changed to be female earlier.

The point is, that it does not make a difference.

5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It doesn’t make any sense to compare fictional characters being male to actual historical figures. There’s a pretty major difference.

6. Professor Zoom

So? Is tradition a good reason? Why keep with tradition? Is that really a good reason any more than changing?

Traditionally, Jesus was male. Traditionally, George Washington was male. Traditionally, JFK was male.

[/quote]

They are also actual people, so I think that's a good reason to keep them as such. But, maybe not necessary.

Yeah, so? Maybe next time a reboot happens he'll be played by a man of color.

Sure. But, is merely keeping a tradition going enough of a reason to NOT change?
    Traditionally women stayed at home while men worked. Should we keep that?

Personally, this is bullshit. Why can't men have a female for a role-model? Why all this separate but equal bullshit? Why do only men get to have the toys, woman get the knock off?

Cheat? WHAT? Didn't go through WHAT? Are you assuming Time Lords are as sexist and terrible as us human beings are? And besides, it's a fucking fictional TV show. Whitaker being cast is all the legitimacy that's required.

Because the Doctor is stupid?

7. Awesome Possum

Women and other races have watched and empathized with white male role models our whole lives, white men can learn to do the same. I didn’t get to see a character who represented people like me until I was 30 and I never had problems watching anything. If they handle more representation, they have plenty of DVDs to watch.

8. Professor Zoom

Speaking as a White Man (tm), it feels like White Men don't deal well with change, always expecting everyone else to take it or leave it.

9. Awesome Possum

A lot are like greedy children suddenly confronted with having to share. They want all the characters, losing a single one is an attack on them. It’s like a whole pizza and they can’t give up a single slice. They want you to go get your own pizza.

But even then they complain that the new characters are being shoved in for political correctness.

SolarisOne and Professor Zoom like this.
  10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Once big money gets involved it all ends up being the same in the end. All about profit for those with the most power.

Jason

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Traditionally the human race has been male centric with males having an easier time being accepted as people in society and making a successful life for themselves. There have been cases when men, white men especially are chosen over females/people of colour who are actually more qualified than the ones who got where they are because traditionally it's been people like them who are selected. There's nothing wrong with changing tradition.

12. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess it depends on the tradition. Racism being seen as okay was a bad tradition. A show being well written and well made though is a good tradition. It's a shame though the ability to judge these things are tainted by the political climate we all live in and also our constant exposure to constant negativity on the internet. Trying to be objective is hard, these days.

Jason

13. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be very challenging and it would take a lot of thought for the producers and writers to take... The Doctor becoming black would have to be very clever to engage the old worlds from Centuries past. I would love to see how that would be handled?

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Some of us white men already follow female and people-of-color role models. Two of my biggest heroes growing up were LeVar Burton and Amelia Earhart.

The only people who have difficulty empathizing with people who are different from themselves are the ones who are taught that they can't.

15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

He's perhaps too old at this point, but I have wanted Adrian Lester to be the Doctor basically right after Tennant was announced. Give me Lester in one of those purple suits from Hustle and you got a Doctor.

jaime likes this.
  16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I always thought it'd be fun to have Idris Elba as the Doctor,not just because he's cool but also because of "The Doctor's Wife" ;)

The Nth Doctor and Starkers like this.
  17. Neroon

Warning for flaming. Comments to PM

18. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Well I for one love Jodie after watching this. She's grown on me heaps and I love her as the Doctor.

I gave the episode a very healthy 8/10

19. Neroon

While I have enjoyed the series overall, I still find it hard to understand what some of the actors are saying because their "accent" (italicized because I am not sure that it's the correct term) is so thick

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

no it's the correct term and yes Jodie's accent is pretty thick