Jodie is back for next year.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Didn't the Doctor say it was one the first dalek scouts sent from Skaro? Combine that with being in 3 pieces for over a millennium and it probably had no idea about the time war. On top of that, the Doctor has spent 3 regenerations getting over the it so I don't think she'd want to bring up the Time War either.

2. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Well... The "Time War" ended for real in Time of the Doctor, and since then we had Into the Dalek where the Doctor inadvertently sends Rusty on a one-Dalek mission to destroy the Daleks, which Twice Upon a Time indicates has been relatively successful, if it's taken billions of years. We saw Skaro in Witch's Familiar but we don't know the time reference of it per se. (It could feasibly exist at a point before Time of the Doctor.) The Pilot one-off scene can happen whenever.

So how many Daleks do still exist? I'd like an era when there aren't many.

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I feel like the Time War has been pretty much gone from Dalek stories since they returned from except-for-event-episode extinction in "Victory." But I could be wrong!

But it'd take a while to check, so I just glanced and confirmed "Asylum" not only doesn't mention the Time War, it shows plenty of classic-series Daleks and exclusively name-drops classic-series episodes, which requires considerably more mental gymnastics since the Dalek species was apparently recreated from scratch in "Victory," with no cross-over.

I feel like the point of "Victory" was to restore the Daleks to existing, but not being on the edge of total universal domination. They're more of a nusience scourge of all creation, so they can pop up whenever and be as much or as little of a threat as possible, as opposed to the RTD era where every appearance had to be an unlikely return from extinction and their opening gambit was always the complete destruction of everything.

So there are Daleks around, but they're at a manageable level.

starsuperion likes this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I imagine Nick Briggs might get a bit worn down doing entire episodes in which he's essentially just talking to himself.
    Nothing odd about it, bro. Especially once she got on the police uniform, my checklist of fetishes was quite thoroughly gone through.

So, ah, moving on.

5. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Totally not..... I dug her.

Did the lone Dalek in "Dalek" suicide or time shift?

I'm wondering if the latter it could be the lone Dalek they bury in the 9th Century.

6. BritishSeaPower

It blew itself up. We're led to believe it's a fairly early Dalek to leave Skaro, possibly the first one to reach Earth. (Though other material tells us there were Daleks on Earth as early as the Roman era.)

7. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

You aren't thinking fourth dimenttsionIt could have been among the first to leave, but others could have shown up at earlier points because of time travel.

It was refreshing and appropriate for the Doctor. She has no need to, this Dalek was from before the Time War and she's no longer feeling the guilt and despair from surviving because she knows that Gallifrey survived and she didn't really wipe out the Time Lords. All the trauma is gone, which is why she believes a bit differently now. Doctors 9-11 were all dealing with that trauma in different ways and 12 was slowly overcoming and remembering how to just be a good man again. 13 is the Doctor who is the result of all that progress. The Time War would really only come up now if a Dalek from that era came back.

8. The Wormhole

Actually, this isn't the first Dalek episode with no reference to the Time War. There was no mention of the Time War in Victory of the Daleks or Asylum of the Daleks. Hell, aside from a vague reference in The Beast Below, there was no direct mention of the Time War in the Moffat era until The Rings of Akhaten. Then they went overboard with it mentioned every other episode for the rest of Smith's run.

9. Gingerbread Demon

That's not the only thing they went overboard with season 5 beginning the era of "The companions are special and in some cases more important then The Doctor, or have super time space powers"

10. BritishSeaPower

I mean... Both Rose and Donna develop super time-space powers and Martha Jones was the most important woman in the world. I wouldn't say that started in Season 5.

11. Gingerbread Demon

True but I noticed it more then. Rose I got because she stared into the open console which contained the time vortex, and Martha well yeah she became important but she too was one of those companions that went goo goo eyes over the Doctor. I hated that aspect of the show.

12. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Nation tried to get a Dalek spin-off back in the early days of Dalekmania - most of his ideas were explored in the Anti-Dalek Force stories that appeared in the Dalek Annuals.

The Dalek Cameo in The Pilot seems to have occurred during the Movellan War, so is probably around the time of Destiny Of The Daleks. Of course, Doctor Who has been pretty careful to avoid laying down exact dates for a lot of their Dalek stories, though apart from Genesis the 1980's stories had been in linear order.

BritishSeaPower likes this.
  13. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The Doctor was in love with Rose, a human copy of him even ended up with her. That makes her pretty special, if only in his eyes.

BritishSeaPower likes this.
  14. Gingerbread Demon

Good point.
    Also he burned up a supernova to have a facetime chat with her. I love the parody where he keeps burning whole stars and then thinking I wonder how many deaths that caused..

15. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Agreed.. and with Clara removing all traces of the Doctor from their memory and database, it also begs the question of did she remove all traces of the Time Lords and Time war from their collective consciousness too?? Clara may have done more to damage the Daleks, then we all know, it will be up to a future writer to tug at that thread, but I would be interested to see if there was any play on that setup in the future.

16. The Wormhole

The whole thing with the Daleks forgetting about the Doctor was basically abandoned in Time of the Doctor when the Daleks learn about the Doctor again after "assimilating" Tasha Lem.

starsuperion likes this.
  17. Gingerbread Demon

Tasha Lem was hot

18. BritishSeaPower

It really never made sense that the Daleks would forget the Doctor.

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Or why Moffat would want to make that a plot point! It only really added a few lines of dialog, but nothing of significance was changed. Then, it was undone! They remembered him again.

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect Moffat's original plan was to hearken to the "chemistry" of the earlier stories when the Daleks did not immediately know he or she was the Doctor. Remember, Moffat (supposedly) wanted to dial back the near g*dlike status that worlds had built around the Doctor. "I just want to go back to being a traveler." Maybe Steven hoped future Dalek stories might prove more interesting without the immediate recognition.

But, as has been noted, Moffat negated that plan with the Daleks' very next appearance, making that plan moot.