Jodie is back for next year.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Dec 7, 2018.

1. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm convinced that in Doctor Who, more than any other franchise, one should think why not, rather than why with things like this. After all, before it was even brought up in canon that a Time Lord could regenerate into the opposite sex or another skin color, the Doctor confirmed that every single cell changes. He said he could end up "with two heads, or no head at all". Outside of canon, it's been suggested a Time Lord could change species when regenerating. In light of that, is it really that much of a stretch to think they could change sex or color? Both of those seem kind of minor in comparison.

And since the Doctor's regenerations seem to be more random than other Time Lords', wouldn't it be inevitable that he'd eventually change into the opposite sex or a different skin color?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Oh, we had some twats complaining when the Doctor developed regional accents instead of Received Pronunciation. Nothing changes, except the Doctor.

ATimson and SolarisOne like this.
  3. RunningValkyrie

RunningValkyrie Captain Captain

I'm happy that Jodie is staying on. I have really enjoyed her happy-go-lucky portrayal of the doctor. And I like her companions as well!

I thoroughly agree! :)

Allyn Gibson and SolarisOne like this.
  4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like to think so, and I'm all in on a black male Doctor; just wish that black male, and it could've been middle-eastern or Hindi, had the opportunity before the gender swap. But, for me, this opens the door for a Doctor, who are of color -- who happens to be male.

SolarisOne likes this.
  5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Fuck. Off.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

You win the thread best post

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

What better reason is there other than giving representation to people of other skin colours? The world consists of more than white men, you know.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You know I think the poster meant to say no reason not to have a woman, based on how the post reads. I think that was a typo or maybe English not being their first language?

9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I need a reason that the Doctor is always white. Why must changes to race or gender be questioned? White men are not the default for humanity, not by a long shot. An increase in minority roles is actually an attempt to be more realistic. The Doctor is an alien, why would race matter to a Time Lord? It only matters to humans and only white one seem to get upset with any minor shift to predominance in popular culture. Time Lords don’t even care about gender. The Doctor didn’t even notice she was a woman until it was pointed out to her. The Doctor’s hair changes color, so why not skin?

Really the burden is one those who don’t want the Doctor to change into a woman or other races to explain why. I have a feeling it’s more about those viewers than the show itself.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope the next Doctor is whatever great actor they can get. I think not to long ago we had my thread talking about the next doctor and everyone had some great choices that was a mix of choices from all different backgrounds. Even Americans which is what I really want to see. If John Goodman was good enough to be "King Ralph" then many Americans can do the Doctor role.

Jason

11. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Surely part of the point of King Ralph was that he was American!

Anyway it is next to impossible the BBC will ever cast a non Brit as Doctor Who.

12. Jayson1

Someone I bet use to say that about a female Doctor as well. I am almost certain it will happen. I also do sort of get the perverse joy of the idea of hiring a British person who does a American Accent as the Doctor or Vice Versa. How well do you think Jim Parsons could be at pulling off a British accent?

Jason

13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Completely silly notion here, not to be taken seriously...

The Doctor regenerates into...

...a Kaled mutant!

14. Jayson1

I'm not even sure what that is? Of course I have another idea but what about a show that focuses on multiple Doctors in the same season. Some kind of epic arc that spans time and space and even Doctors.

Jason

15. VDCNI

Not the same thing. It would take some very odd circumstances to get the BBC to hire an American for the role.

16. Jayson1

Maybe but in the end these are just corporations. People who were in charge are replaced with just new people and old traditions eventually die out..

Jason

17. VDCNI

Well no the BBC isn't just like any other corporation it's not just a tradition that's getting in the way, it's the way it's structured and funded.

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, the "chewy center" of a Dalek casing? :shrug:

Sindatur likes this.
  19. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

not sure about the chewy bit,

Iris Whyldtime ate a kaled mutant once. It didn't go so well for her...

20. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Well, she got a magical adventure with the handsomest Doctor (of the time) and eventually regenerated into a Barbarella-era Jane Fonda, so it worked out pretty well in the end. AND The Doctor fixed her TARDIS' demat circuits.