Jeri Ryan

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ally, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

Harry as an avenger? Sounds a bit over the top to me ...
    I think at best he would come back and say: oh, you are still in the DQ? Guys, I feel really sorry for you ... (tears)
    Can't imagine him becoming more vengeful than that ...

2. In_Correct

In_Correct Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also the episode "The Fight". The aliens would have contacted Kes, not Chakotay.

3. In_Correct

I read the few pages discussing how actors and actresses should be required to stay in shape. I agree. In the 1990s they had to wear lose fitting clothes (except for Jeri Ryan) and in scenes where they displayed a Holo-Image of Harry Kim they first displayed his skeleton, his organs, his muscles (without skin), and then they immediately went to clothes. They skipped the skin layer. Or Chakotay boxing in a shirt.

Whether or not television these days are not that strict, in the real world it is still very strict.

4. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

He would have shamed Janeway on how she never promoted him. It would have been a very talkative episode.

5. locutus101

There is a reason why they skipped the skin layer, they didn't want to be x-rated.:D

Jedman67 likes this.
  6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's right, no frontal nudity on bradcast television. Notice there's no Montys on any of these shows . . . :techman:

7. locutus101

I've never seen any.;)

8. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

It's all a matter of how you write the story. For example in One...it litteraly could have been anyone who wasn't a human. B'Elanna, Tuvok, Neelix, Chell, Vorik....

9. In_Correct

It isn't just skipping the skin layer entirely, I also observed the characters seem to view nudity as comical or fearful even if they are in the 24th century. Examples are when the other characters reacting to Tuvok naked in his dream (notice the camera did not show any thing from the hips down) and then Janeway subtly reacting to when Tuvok told her of his dream. ... Or when Seven needed help with her clothes and said "Assist Me". The Doctor (who happens to be a doctor) didn't want to. Although it was most likely because he had a crush on her.

Remembering scenes from Star Trek: The Next Generation (and none of these scenes are medical related) are regarding aliens' views of nudity. The Ferengi are an obvious example (according to The Ferengi). Another are Betazoids where they are naked at weddings and probably Mud Baths. I guess I thought their reactions on Voyager were silly.

10. In_Correct

Never mind. I just got done watching Q2. Seven said "If you are attempting to embarrass me, you won't succeed.".

11. locutus101

These only reflects the hang ups and prejudices of current American society, most European countries are way past that.

12. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

You can be a lot less literal and more expressionistic on stage than you can in a film. Audiences are typically asked to make leaps like accepting a flat or a scrim as an entire room. Hell, Patrick Stewart played every character in A Christmas Carol without (AFAIK) any costume changes, just by altering his voice, movement, and posture. And audiences went with it. That's the magic of live theatre. Once you've done that, buying someone like Bradley Cooper as the Elephant Man isn't as big of stretch as it would be on screen.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be done, just that it would be a lot harder than you're saying. Theatre and film and two different mediums, and they carry different expectations. If you don't believe me, go see a live performance of something and then watch a film of that exact same performance and tell me which one you found more compelling.

Seven of Five likes this.
  13. OldManDoom

OldManDoom Lieutenant Red Shirt

What? These never happen!

14. locutus101

They tend to run in circles.

15. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First, let me say that I know what you're saying and you are not wrong. Commercial movies do have expectations on them, made by the paying public, that do not apply, necessarily, to Artistic "shorts" encountered at a Film Festival. Rarely shall the twain meet ... but not, necessarily, "never!"

For example, The Sci-Fi Classic: "Altered States," from decades ago. It was a commercial movie that presented some really intriguing, cerebral concepts, embedded in a Special Effects Extravaganza that was steeped in Art History and was fairly naked about it.

If you've not seen it, it's hard to capsulise the story, briefly, and not give too much away. Two young scientists are married with children. The wife worships her Husband ... he is the centre of her Universe. However, she has become a 2nd priority to him, because of one thing: He is on an Historic, scientific breakthrough. He believes that Human evolution encoded in our DNA can be tapped into by the conscious mind and interpreted in such a way as to be able to follow it, perhaps, even as far back as The Big Bang. "Why are we here?" "What is the meaning of Life?" All of those deep, philosophical questions are about to be Universally answered.

To do this, mind-altering drugs must be taken, so these experiments are kept a secret from The Scientific Community, until real discoveries are made. And through plentiful, surreal, Artsy special effects, the discovery this movie wants him to make is that it's an empty purse. The ONLY thing that says anything, the only thing that means anything ... is Love. But the Husband can't believe the answer's that simple, maybe. I don't know. So he pushes this experiment past the point of all reason ...

Some of these effects involve images straight out of da da-ism, like a Man-Goat with many eyes having been crucified. Even the climax of the movie involved highly stylised FX that seem to belong in a Space Warp, but take place in an ordinary Living Room, instead. The typical audience might not have been able to wrap its mind around all of this, and yet, the show succeeds because of its basic premise, as stated above. So, I believe that abstraction can work, that it has worked, before ... like PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL, or 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. But no, you don't want to run a franchise off of shooting movies that way. Modern-day, straight-forward comedies have, traditionally, always been very successful, for instance ...

16. locutus101

Apparently, Seven is not embarrassed but WE are assumed to be.

17. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Seven was a better character than Kes, but I still wish that Kes had stayed. It could have been at the expense of Harry Kim like it was supposed to go down, otherwise they just just have an extra member of the cast like DS9 did with Worf.

Jeri Ryan herself was excellent in the role, and I just can't believe she put up with those horribly tight costumes for so long.

I think that just about covers my vague thoughts on the matter. ;)

18. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. locutus101

20. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ABSOLUTELY.

In the same time, it seems to me that Seven/the Doctor is as ridiculous as Seven/Chakotay. Come on, the Doctor is a hologram! :rolleyes: -> how could Seven would have been able to recover all aspects of her humanity ... with a hologram, which tries itself to exist to exist as a living being?
    As it was very clear that the Doctor was in love with Seven, I was surprised not to see him trying to create a hologram of Seven only for him... :whistle: