JAMES CAWLEY SPEAKS!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by HerbFlynn, Apr 5, 2017.

1. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

The De Lancie guest starring episode was. That was proper squint and see the Shatner level of Fan Film.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  2. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

WD enjoys generating outrage, best to ignore him, in my opinion.

4. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

In '17 I was up at Trekondaroga chatting with some folks who said Cawley can be a real perfectionist - and even before the guidelines and licensing he would sit on stuff until it was perfect. Again if he agreement with CBS prevents him from finishing them or not, no one said anything either way.

I can see how Florida would take away from NY- a little, more so on the film school side, I mean if I was Studio 9 I would be scouting extras for stock corridor shots from all the visitors in decent costumes.

5. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

It's probably unlikely that the licensing agreement prevents him from releasing the films. After all, he said in the above linked "As to New Voyages, The final episode was shot and fully cut together with some vfx unfinished. At some point, I hope to see it get the light of day, and am hoping that it can happen..." Doesn't sound like there's any restriction on its release other than they haven't finished it.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I always laugh at this notion because the films are far from perfect, especially in terms of scripts, blocking, sound and editing. They're frequently the amateur hour in these regards. I assume this "perfectionist" tendency must be limited to the things he's passionate about (sets, costumes, etc.). Anyway, not to knock the films, as they're certainly amongst the more accomplished/ambitious fanfilms and made to James' tastes, not mine.

STEPhon IT and Phoenix219 like this.
  7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

You like to infer a lot as it also sounds like they said: "Not while You're a Licensee..." but he's continuing to keep a conversation going. Bottom Line: We don't know, BUT I can't see CBS having an official license holder doing non-licensed work with the IP.

8. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Well thats the whole crux of the issue - when someone else raised the bar on what his productions needed to be like, he doubled down on the perfectionist stuff, which made very slow-moving productions slow down even more, or start over, with new "real actors!" coming in as cast members and what not. When it became clear that he was no longer the clearcut favorite / winner in the unspoken competition of fan-love, he packed up his toys and went home. I found his earlier, super low budget "flawed" works eminently more watchable then the last few. He would always point out that HIS were the MOST PERFECT replicas, and then cite down to the inch replication of minutia.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Situational perfectionism. :)

10. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Really? Do you think Trekonderoga is officially licensed as a Star Trek Convention?

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

It seems that fan-films, much like families have a way of generating deep resentment and antipathy.

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Trekonderoga is not official licenced by CBS. As for films, I highly doubt there is anything in the CBS agreement that officially prevents him from releasing the remaining films. James has working relationship with CBS and he does not want to rock the boat. I totally get where he is coming from. Running a local convention is different than releasing an IP product to mass distribution (Youtube, etc..) even if its free . I have helped run 3 successful conventions over the past 12 years, and it is not an issue with CBS (they really don't care about conventions) . Creation does not like it, but that a whole other story...

While the NV/P2 productions are not perfect (as Maurice says) , James tries to do the best he can, and be as perfect as he can with them. I have known him since 2005 and he is very very dedicated to his work, whether its Elvis in Vegas, his fan films, and his sets. I admire his dedication. I do wish for the eventually release of Torment, but I can totally understand why its probably not going to happen.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018