Is Star Trek V canon?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Rock, Jan 13, 2018.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

All it really proves is that the crew got their picture taken on that particular bridge design at some point. :p Heck, and perhaps it's just a backdrop. :p

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  2. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

ok it was all a dream then :D

Spot261 likes this.
  3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Life is but a dream . . . :)

Nyotarules, mattyhugh, lurok and 3 others like this.
  4. alpha_leonis

alpha_leonis Captain Captain

Coming in late, but...

There was also that storyline, in the two movies right before TFF, where they got close enough to a Klingon ship that they could steal it and ride it home.

Ceridwen likes this.
  5. DonIago

Well, if one wanted to be pedantic, one could note that that was a BoP, not a cruiser.

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Spitting on their faces?" Really, now ... and ...
    I happen to LIKE the dune buggy! ... It's very C00L!!!

Vger23 likes this.
  7. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks very much! It was fun to do. In fact, I'm revising & expanding it a bit, adding a few screencaps from TrekCore, and turning it into a column for the site I contribute to, AtomicJunkShop.com. Heck, it's mostly written already...
    Alas, I would not be the guy for that. I know TOS much better than any of the subsequent shows, most of which I haven't rewatched since they first aired. Heck, I haven't even seen all of VOY, since I gave up on the show somewhere in season two or three. Attempting to do a similar project with one of sequel shows would be a lot like work.

Lord Garth likes this.
  8. DonIago

^That's quitter talk! :p

Vger23 likes this.
  9. JonnyQuest037

You bet it is. ;)

DonIago likes this.
  10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Look I understand - GR has to support himself and TOS was gone and TNG was pulling in the cash.

However when people go like GR would roll in his grave if he saw Discovery or the Kelvin movies. I think well he'd fully support them if he was getting a share of the cash. So lets not go around worshipping GR unless you want to worship him by loving Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG.

As to the Dune Buggy . I say I love it as much as I loved the horses in STV. But the Dune Buggy stuff is not nearly as bad as the attempted comedy associated with Data's disembodied head.- also in the Dune Buggy.

Balok's Decoy and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gene would have loved Discovery:guffaw:

Lord Garth likes this.
  12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Roddenberry would do anything for money. He was, after all, a television producer. :)

And I remember there was, a long time ago, a poster on TrekBBS who was a Roddenberry-purist. He went by the moniker The God-Thing. His "canon" was about half of the original series, TMP, and TNG season one, as I recall.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

for the love of Gene, don't say that name three times in a row

14. JonnyQuest037

I remember him.

15. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Gene made statements about how he felt elements of both TFF and TUC were "apocryphal." That may be somewhat mildly interesting (not to me, but to others I guess), but changes nothing to the status of those two films as official canonical Star Trek.

JonnyQuest037 and Sakonna like this.
  16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It was TOS Seasons 1 and 2 (pilots included), TAS, TMP, and TNG until "Hero Worship" which was the episode shooting when Gene Roddenberry died.

You couldn't get any more purist than him.

JonnyQuest037 and Allyn Gibson like this.
  17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

More expansive than I thought! Thanks! :)

18. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I idolise Gene Roddenberry! He was a self-made Man who went from being a World War II pilot, to street cop to Hollywood Legend. That's the American Dream & the only way he could've topped that was if he'd been an immigrant. But I completely agree that GR would've had NO problems with Discovery OR the Kelvin movies or anything else "new" that's been done with the franchise. He'd gone on record that he clearly understood and expected that STAR TREK would go on to entertain on a level he hadn't done, in ways he had nothing to do with and ... he was way cool with that. It did not bother him ... at all. By the same token, yeah ... when you've got a cash cow to milk, you milk it ... which he did, with TNG. That's it and all about it.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

He did object to the militaristic tone the movies took after TMP and clashed with Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer a lot. I don't know how much of that was differing creative visions and how much of it was really just he couldn't stand having control of the films taken away from him. I think it's a little from both columns...

... but if he thought the TOS Films were too militaristic, I have to wonder what he would've thought of DSC and pro-war late-DS9. If he was willing to let anything fly, he wouldn't have gone out of his way to contact his lawyer because he wanted 15 minutes of content he objected to removed from TUC.

I think Posthumous-TNG, most of VOY, ENT (except for maybe The Xindi Arc), and The Orville are more things Gene would more approve of. It's Star Trek (or an emulation in ORV's case) but evolving and changing with the times.

The Kelvin Films, I don't know. In his 1986 introduction to "The Cage" (which can be found on YouTube), he said he wanted to make Star Trek not as simple as "Good Guys vs. Bad Guys". I don't think he really stuck to this in TOS but during his later years, it seemed like he would be more adamant. Unless said Bad Guys represented the worst traits of 20th Century Humanity (the Ferengi) or an enemy to individuality itself (the Borg).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  20. DonIago

I never got the sense that DS9 was pro-war, myself...

lawman and Balok's Decoy like this.