Is Star Trek V canon?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Rock, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

TheGodThing used to email me stuff periodically after he left the board, then the last time I wrote him I got a "don't ever contact me again message", which still perplexes me given we were always on good terms in the past.

I never personally encountered his "dark side", and only heard about it from others. Perhaps he decided I fell into some category he couldn't stomach.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  2. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Ah, of course. And we hate TheGodThing!(?) ...right? I'll go get the pitchforks.

Sakonna likes this.
  3. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except that there has been an alteration between peace (with rivalry and a cold war atmosphere) and war (hot war with ships blasting each other and blasting planets) for the entire lifespans of the protagonists and at the very moment the words are spoken there is a state of peace between the Federation and the Klingons.

Would Starfleet's finest ship have spent the last 3 years on a scientific expedition if there had been a shooting war with the Klingons?

Would Sulu have offered to assist the Klingons if there was a shooting war with them.

Brigadier Kerla, speaking for the High Command, says that there is a treaty in force.

Gorkon is not offering peace to the Federation. They already have peace. Gorkon is offering a major change in the basic relationship between the Federation and the Klingons, a change that will greatly reduce the probability of future hostilities.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I think we're trying to say the same thing.

I think there might've been a ceasefire or, at most a Cold War. Are they shooting at each other and in all-out warfare ala Discovery? Probably not, but that isn't the same as what I think of as peace peace. Technically the United States isn't at war with a lot of countries that they're not exactly friends with (to put it lightly), though they might try to be on occasion. Same thing here.

The Klingon Ambassador does say in ST IV, "There shall be no peace as long as Kirk lives!" but that might've just as easily have been hot air and rhetoric.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  5. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since hot air and rhetoric is pretty much all the Klingon Ambassador ever says, I'd say so.

I love his cameo in STVI, where he's arguing vehemently for peace. It really shows that he'll passionately argue for whatever the current position of his government happens to be.

6. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Some people need this tattooed backwards on their foreheads so they'll see it every morning when they look in the mirror.

Vger23 likes this.
  7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that's the sign of a good ambassador.

Greg Cox likes this.
  8. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Agreed. In fact, I felt DS9 was adamantly anti-war.

jaime likes this.
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, if we accept that TUC was basically riffing on the apparent end of the Cold War between the USA and the USSR, with "Gorkon" subbing for Gorbachev, then that's presumably also the case with the Klingons and Federation. The USA and the USSR were not shooting at each other back in the day, but they had been adversaries for decades at that point. Gorkon was offering a detente in hopes of ending the frequently hardfought Cold War that had been going on since at least TOS . ...

jaime and Lord Garth like this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He also applauds Kirk as well, which I always found amusing for some reason.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As an ambassador for that government, that's his JOB.

Nyotarules, DonIago and Balok's Decoy like this.
  12. JonnyQuest037

Since some people in this thread liked my previous BBS post about figuring out which TOS episodes are in continuity with the movies, you might be interested in the expanded version I posted at the AtomicJunkShop yesterday. Click on the link if you're interested. It's got pictures and everything! :)

13. DonIago

I think you were a little too liberal with some of your criteria, such as any mention of Starfleet Academy, but hey, it's your list. :)

Now do DS9!!! :p

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  14. JonnyQuest037

Okay. DS9 isn't mentioned in any of the movies, so none of it is in continuity.

That was fun. ;)

15. DonIago

Well...Worf the lawyer in TUC is the ancestor of Worf in DS9, soooo....

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I have one rule, if it's not a Quinn Martin production then it's not Canon. :nyah:

urbandefault and marlboro like this.
  17. Commander Kielbasa

Commander Kielbasa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why wouldn't it be?
    One nice night in STV with Klingons isn't going to erase decades of hatred for them, numerous bad experiences, or the death of his son by their hands. He can be cordial, if distant, for an evening and still not trust or like them.

18. Jetboogieman

Jetboogieman Commander Red Shirt

There are elements of the movie which make it being canon problematic.

But chief among them is the entire of the “centre of the galaxy” thing.

But I am still one of those who finds FF an endearing movie none the less.

fireproof78 likes this.
  19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Due to rights issues between CBS and Paramount, none of the movies can be referenced in the current TV series. While I doubt they'll deliberately contradict them, I guess that means, for all intents and purposes, they're not canon. Click!

20. RColtrane

RColtrane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To OP: Why not?