Spoilers Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny grade and discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 28, 2023.

?

How do you rate Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?

1. It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

3.1%
  2. A

12.3%
  3. A-

18.5%
  4. B+

26.2%
  5. B

12.3%
  6. B-

9.2%
  7. C+

4.6%
  8. C

4.6%
  9. C-

3.1%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1.5%
  12. D-

1.5%
  13. I could've been your greatest adventure.

3.1%
  1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad they didn't just throw it away then. Can't wait to see how it plays out in Indy 6.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ohhhh, that's a great read!

See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I cannot wait to watch this film again. :D

TedShatner10 likes this.
  3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ouch.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

7. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

A point of contention, however... It's explicitly stated that after the crash of the plane, that the Romans were chased off. So we can quibble over who gets the futuristic tech, the Romans or the Greeks. In real history, the Romans eventually overcame the city defenses, designed by Archimedes and killed him. So the events of the movie drastically alter history, at least at that point. There's no telling if the Romans regrouped and eventually took the city over.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  8. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "dragon" at the battle was referenced earlier in the movie, at the puppet show, so it was closed time loop. The airplane was always part of history.

Anwar, Crewman6, TedShatner10 and 4 others like this.
  9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Very fair point.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  10. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

He'd still have to show his passport on any International flight even back in 1969. Given he was on the national Network news; yeah it was a little ridiculous that he could travel to all these various countries and not have any issues with their authorities.

TedShatner10, FreezeC77 and Starkers like this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Lucasfilm released this fun featurette about creating the opening sequence of this film and how Mangold wanted a crack at the classic Indy adventure before moving to the older Indy adventure.

I know the opening sequence didn't for some people but it really worked for me and I think this featurette touches on some of the big reasons why and how that's true.

12. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked it as well. Plus the de-aged Indy was done very very well and not nearly as bad as so many thought or made it out to be...

I really Enjoyed Indy 5 and there were a couple of nice tie ups at the end...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  13. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose it depends on what you think Indiana Jones is and that, for me, is an anti-fascist series.

It's why the Yuuzhan Vong were a terrible idea.

Because Star Wars is not ABOUT being supportive of governments against militant religious extremists.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with all of this. I just saw the movie and it really felt like a solid Indiana Jones movie. I loved the twist at the end. I thought Ford's performance was great. I liked that each of the action segments took their time to play out. A couple of quibbles for me were the lack of realism in the diving sequence (they should not have been able to descend and ascend so quickly without major consequences) and the weight of the graphikos tablet (if it were made of gold, it should have been much heavier than we saw). I don't really care about how much money the film made as that figure only matters to me if I want to see a sequel film. I gave it an A- and for the record my order of favorite Indy films are:

1. Raiders
    2. Crusade
    3. Dial
    4. Temple
    5. Skull (the only one I don't really like, but will rewatch for completion sake)

Booji, The Nth Doctor and HotRod like this.
  15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It was a bit handwavy but didn't Banderas make some comment about his patented trick for avoiding the bends?

16. theenglish

Yeah--that's what the movie said. The three minutes part makes some sense (I think), but your body still needs time to adjust going both down and up.

Starkers likes this.
  17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Saw it yesterday. Gave it a B+ (relatively graded against my two favourites—Raiders and Crusade). Found the de-aging more impressive than expected (perhaps explained by some of the budget), enjoyed it quite a bit (think much of my enjoyment was from being unspoiled). As to how he got on the plane—from our point of view in 2023, it’s very difficult to grasp just how lax airport security was before the early 70s hijackings, let alone the post 9/11 world. Plus, it’s an Indiana Jones movie. How much realism is anyone expecting?

TedShatner10 likes this.
  18. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the whole conceit is about not giving your body time to adjust. If you go back up before your body adjusts to the depth then you can return quickly with out issue (at least in the universe of the movie). In this case the logic appears to be that the amount of high pressure inert gasses dissolved in your blood in 3 minutes isn't enough to cause problems when resurfacing. That also means we don't count any time after the air lines were cut when calculating time underwater.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. theenglish

I'm not a diver. I'm a snorkler who likes to dive reefs in the Caribbean--at least in my younger days. It doesn't take a deep dive to feel the pressure. Given my lack of personal knowledge/authority on the matter, I did a quick search and found this Reddit discussion with contributions by divers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/scuba/comments/14oo8wp/lets_breakdown_all_the_ways_the_diving_scenes_in/

Of course, if someone with better knowledge than this proves me wrong then I will be more than happy because that means the movie actually got it right.

20. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

God, I hope there isn't a sixth movie. I wish the franchise had ended after the fourth film. Why can't Disney or other studios move on to something new, instead of clinging to or revisiting old franchises?