Spoilers Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny grade and discussion

How do you rate Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?

• Total voters
Very interesting discussion at the Overthinking It podcast about the movie, they were really positive on it, and near the end, the propose one of their so-crazy-it-has-to-be-right analyses:

By traveling back in time to the battle of Syracuse, Indiana and company were intimately involved in the (impending) death of Archimedes, but who was the second historical figure whose death they influenced? You'll remember at the beginning of the film, the Nazis have supposedly recovered the Spear of Destiny, but Indiana and Voller can both recognize instantly that it's made of a contemporary alloy, so it's not just a forgery, it's a blatantly obvious forgery. But at the end of the movie, they left behind an entire wrecked Nazi plane, full of Nazi equipment, made out of 20th century materials, all in the hands of a Roman Legion. What if they salvaged metal from the crash site, and two hundred years later, some of it has been made into a spearhead for a certain Centurion's lance?

Maybe the Lance of Longinus was authentic, after all.
Ohhhh, that's a great read!

See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I cannot wait to watch this film again. :D

uwe5fk5.gif

A point of contention, however... It's explicitly stated that after the crash of the plane, that the Romans were chased off. So we can quibble over who gets the futuristic tech, the Romans or the Greeks. In real history, the Romans eventually overcame the city defenses, designed by Archimedes and killed him. So the events of the movie drastically alter history, at least at that point. There's no telling if the Romans regrouped and eventually took the city over.

A point of contention, however... It's explicitly stated that after the crash of the plane, that the Romans were chased off. So we can quibble over who gets the futuristic tech, the Romans or the Greeks. In real history, the Romans eventually overcame the city defenses, designed by Archimedes and killed him. So the events of the movie drastically alter history, at least at that point. There's no telling if the Romans regrouped and eventually took the city over.

The "dragon" at the battle was referenced earlier in the movie, at the puppet show, so it was closed time loop. The airplane was always part of history.

Lucasfilm released this fun featurette about creating the opening sequence of this film and how Mangold wanted a crack at the classic Indy adventure before moving to the older Indy adventure.

I know the opening sequence didn't for some people but it really worked for me and I think this featurette touches on some of the big reasons why and how that's true.

Lucasfilm released this fun featurette about creating the opening sequence of this film and how Mangold wanted a crack at the classic Indy adventure before moving to the older Indy adventure.

I know the opening sequence didn't for some people but it really worked for me and I think this featurette touches on some of the big reasons why and how that's true.

I liked it as well. Plus the de-aged Indy was done very very well and not nearly as bad as so many thought or made it out to be...

I really Enjoyed Indy 5 and there were a couple of nice tie ups at the end...

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I didn't like having the main villain as another Nazi (or sympathizer). It just smacks of unoriginality. I could barely tolerate this in The Last Crusade. I really wish Disney had not made this fifth film.

I suppose it depends on what you think Indiana Jones is and that, for me, is an anti-fascist series.

It's why the Yuuzhan Vong were a terrible idea.

Because Star Wars is not ABOUT being supportive of governments against militant religious extremists.

You know what? Damn all the negative reviews, that movie was fun!

It was a worthy end for the character. Maybe I'll say more later, maybe I won't. But, I definitely enjoyed that film as someone whose favourite film of all time is Raiders of the Lost Ark.

You know what?

I don't care. Box office takes doesn't determine the quality and it certainly doesn't determine my enjoyment of it.

I loved the film and I know I'm not the only one. That's all that matters.

Does it mean we might not get more adventures with Helena? Perhaps, but that's okay. I can live with that.

A-

This was a lot of fun and a great way to end the series. Possibly my second fav Indy movie after 'Crusade'. I liked the twist at the end with Archimedes. Definitely didn't see that coming. Helena was a fantastic edition to the cast and just oozed charisma. I would love to see the series continue with her as the lead. The CGI in the flashback scenes was really good. Having old Indy's voice was a little weird, but not too jarring. And I'm glad Indy got a sorta happily ever after ending.

I agree with all of this. I just saw the movie and it really felt like a solid Indiana Jones movie. I loved the twist at the end. I thought Ford's performance was great. I liked that each of the action segments took their time to play out. A couple of quibbles for me were the lack of realism in the diving sequence (they should not have been able to descend and ascend so quickly without major consequences) and the weight of the graphikos tablet (if it were made of gold, it should have been much heavier than we saw). I don't really care about how much money the film made as that figure only matters to me if I want to see a sequel film. I gave it an A- and for the record my order of favorite Indy films are:

1. Raiders
2. Crusade
3. Dial
4. Temple
5. Skull (the only one I don't really like, but will rewatch for completion sake)

I agree with all of this. I just saw the movie and it really felt like a solid Indiana Jones movie. I loved the twist at the end. I thought Ford's performance was great. I liked that each of the action segments took their time to play out. A couple of quibbles for me were the lack of realism in the diving sequence (they should not have been able to descend and ascend so quickly without major consequences) and the weight of the graphikos tablet (if it were made of gold, it should have been much heavier than we saw). I don't really care about how much money the film made as that figure only matters to me if I want to see a sequel film. I gave it an A- and for the record my order of favorite Indy films are:

1. Raiders
2. Crusade
3. Dial
4. Temple
5. Skull (the only one I don't really like, but will rewatch for completion sake)

It was a bit handwavy but didn't Banderas make some comment about his patented trick for avoiding the bends?

It was a bit handwavy but didn't Banderas make some comment about his patented trick for avoiding the bends?

Yeah--that's what the movie said. The three minutes part makes some sense (I think), but your body still needs time to adjust going both down and up.

Saw it yesterday. Gave it a B+ (relatively graded against my two favourites—Raiders and Crusade). Found the de-aging more impressive than expected (perhaps explained by some of the budget), enjoyed it quite a bit (think much of my enjoyment was from being unspoiled). As to how he got on the plane—from our point of view in 2023, it’s very difficult to grasp just how lax airport security was before the early 70s hijackings, let alone the post 9/11 world. Plus, it’s an Indiana Jones movie. How much realism is anyone expecting?

Yeah--that's what the movie said. The three minutes part makes some sense (I think), but your body still needs time to adjust going both down and up.

But the whole conceit is about not giving your body time to adjust. If you go back up before your body adjusts to the depth then you can return quickly with out issue (at least in the universe of the movie). In this case the logic appears to be that the amount of high pressure inert gasses dissolved in your blood in 3 minutes isn't enough to cause problems when resurfacing. That also means we don't count any time after the air lines were cut when calculating time underwater.

But the whole conceit is about not giving your body time to adjust. If you go back up before your body adjusts to the depth then you can return quickly with out issue (at least in the universe of the movie). In this case the logic appears to be that the amount of high pressure inert gasses dissolved in your blood in 3 minutes isn't enough to cause problems when resurfacing. That also means we don't count any time after the air lines were cut when calculating time underwater.

I'm not a diver. I'm a snorkler who likes to dive reefs in the Caribbean--at least in my younger days. It doesn't take a deep dive to feel the pressure. Given my lack of personal knowledge/authority on the matter, I did a quick search and found this Reddit discussion with contributions by divers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/scuba/comments/14oo8wp/lets_breakdown_all_the_ways_the_diving_scenes_in/

Of course, if someone with better knowledge than this proves me wrong then I will be more than happy because that means the movie actually got it right.

Glad they didn't just throw it away then. Can't wait to see how it plays out in Indy 6.

God, I hope there isn't a sixth movie. I wish the franchise had ended after the fourth film. Why can't Disney or other studios move on to something new, instead of clinging to or revisiting old franchises?

Back