I don't care I am loving season 3

Gingerbread Demon

I love Star Trek Discovery
Premium Member
I didn't like parts of it the first time around but this time doing a rewatch I am loving it.

The first 6 minutes of the episode "Die Trying" i don't know what it was but it filled me with a feeling of joy and hope seeing all those new ships in the Federation headquarters and just all that stuff it filled me with joy. I'm near the middle of the season now and this time around I am loving it warts and all.

Adira and her boyfriend are cool

Well, I watched the first two seasons when they came out, but haven't watched since. So, I just got P+ again, and decided to watch the season 3 opener (I like the time travel stuff). Not bad, not great, about a 7/10.
Begins with Burnham winning a fight against a man that out weighs her by 75 to100lbs, and is obviosly way stronger than her. Bad habit that ST has gotten into the last few series, just happens way too much. Hurts the believability, big time. Then she's punching him in the face all the time. WTF? He should have knocked her on her ass and told her to stop, or else. Then they have their "save the whales" moment. Okay, I realize they feel they have to throw that stuff in. But, it was pretty short.
Well, those are just the gripes, and they weren't much. So, good enough to continue on.

Kira beat up a couple Klingons in DS9, so has Jadzia.
Size and weight means nothing if you're a better, smarter fighter.
Here we go. Relevant at 4:00

Also, Janeway. Relevant part at 4:02.

And real life:
And male vs. female in Jiu Jujitsu

Training matters far more than size.

ETA: Watching Star War: The Bad Batch-Fennic Shand takes down two clone troopers, one considerably bigger than herself. Isn't that problematic?

Last edited:
I watched Season 3 when I got the DVD set. As I recall, I found it a considerable improvement over 1 and 2.

And yes, superior skill and technique can very definitely beat size and weight.

Kira beat up a couple Klingons in DS9, so has Jadzia.
Size and weight means nothing if you're a better, smarter fighter.
They just do it too much, for my taste. Well, size and weight actually means a lot, that's why they have weight classes. But anyway, it wasn't like she was fighting someone that had no idea how to fight.

I watched Season 3 when I got the DVD set. As I recall, I found it a considerable improvement over 1 and 2.

Oh, good. I certainly hope so. I also have high hopes for SNW.

Indeed. A friend of mine told me a story of a smaller guy in the Army who was picked on by a squad of Marines who were cross training who outweighed him by several weight classes. But, he was trained in escrima and Filipino martial arts and took them down. No charges were filed as none of the Marines wanted it on their record.

Last edited:
Well get used to it, it's realistic.

Is it though?
Kira and Jadzia if you ask me took down too many Klingons on their own.
Yes, a person can have a strong body without looking buff and all, plus their overall knowledge and experience matter (which is where both Kira and Jadzia shine - Kira was a former terrorist, and Jadzia has the knowledge of her previous hosts) but the main reason they took down so many was because they were lead characters... otherwise, I agree it was a bit much.

It comes down to training and experience. Many fights are settled not by lack of skill, but one person making a mistake and the opponent taking advantage.

Michael, Jadzia, Nerys, Georgiou all have sufficient training for most opponents. Would we object to Yeoh or Jackie Chan being smaller and taking down bigger opponents?

Well get used to it, it's realistic.
Of course it is not. That's why I have a problem believing in the story when it happens. Then, they lose fights, when it's needed for the plot. I'm thinking, "Wait, she just beat up 3 guys, now she's beaten by a single soldier?"
And Michelle Yeoh, she's almost 60 years old and can't weigh 90 pounds soaking wet! She would literally get beaten up by a 12 year old boy. They're really pushing it with her.

Of course it is not. That's why I have a problem believing in the story when it happens. Then, they lose fights, when it's needed for the plot. I'm thinking, "Wait, she just beat up 3 guys, now she's beaten by a single soldier?"
And Michelle Yeoh, she's almost 60 years old and can't weigh 90 pounds soaking wet! She would literally get beaten up by a 12 year old boy. They're really pushing it with her.
You're watching a show where mushrooms are powering starships, but it's women beating up men you're complaining about being unrealistic. Think about that for a minute.

You're watching a show where mushrooms are powering starships, but it's women beating up men you're complaining about being unrealistic. Think about that for a minute.
I don't even want to think about the spore drive. Listen, I just watched the 2nd episode of season 3. Why didn't anyone warn me?
They are being held in the bar, and the 60 year old wisp of a woman shows up. I said to myself, "No, they are not going to do this". And they did it. OMG. Over all, liked the episode, except that scene.

The only other thing I want to mention is there seems to be a lack of discipline. It seems that, quite often, someone in charge feels the need to give an order, and then give an explanation, as if there is no chance of the order being carried out unless they explain themselves. I hope that doesn't continue.

Back