How would you convince someone to watch DS9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ryva Brall, May 3, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Maybe you should talk to Worf again!" Hehe. That's the most hilarious moment in DS9. :p

2. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Best line in all of Season Seven. And I love that Damar can't even say it with a straight face.

3. TheQman

TheQman Captain Captain

It's funny. I was just reading an old post I made several years ago about almost the same situation. My dad even said the exact same thing to me about "it's not real trek, they are on a station".

Here is a link to the thread: Best episodes for a new viewer?

I hope they enjoy some DS9 soon. It is a great series, the best IMO.

4. TheQman

TheQman Captain Captain

That is my favorite line in the whole series! :rommie:

5. DantePD

DantePD Ensign Newbie

I hooked my ex-wife (Still my best friend, long story) who loves political thrillers with "In the Pale Moonlight". Once she saw the kind of stories DS9 was telling, we went through the essentials of Seasons 1 and 2, then every episode from "The Search" onwards.

6. Ryva Brall

That's a great list of episodes. I'm definitely going to make them watch "The Visitor" and "Duet". I think those episodes really emphasize what makes DS9 great, without giving away too many plot points. My parents hate spoilers. :lol:

I'd like them to watch "In the Pale Moonlight", but it's such a pivotal episode in the series, I want it to be a surprise to them. I predict that if they get that far, their reactions will be priceless.

7. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

accuse your parents of racism then they will watch out of guilt.

j/k

8. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I'd tell them that Terry Farrell is really hot

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Absolutely :). Far Beyond The Stars should be interesting also.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they've watched everything else just talk about how O'Brien and Worf are in it and both are better in DS9 then they ever were in TNG. Oh and Kirk is in it too... WHAT?! Yes really mom and dad, there's this time travel episode and Kirk is in it!!

Also tell them it makes you cry at night when you think about them not having seen it.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm in the minority here apparently, but I never really cared for Far Beyond the Stars... sure it has a great message... but it's just completely out of place in the context of the rest of DS9.

12. Ryva Brall

Yeah... I'm inclined to agree. It was cool seeing all the actors as themselves, as opposed to hidden under prosthetic makeup, but other than that... I never quite understood the point of it.

However, I do know that my stepdad will love "Trials and Tribble-ations". He's a huge fan of TOS. In fact, he's the main reason I'm such a Trek nerd today.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Emotional blackmail, I like it :)

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  14. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

According to the Memory Alpha. The DS9 Companion said DS9 was allegedly going to end with Benny Russell (1950's Sisko) on a film set holding a completed copy of Deep Space Nine. Making the whole series a dream made reality by Benny. This is why Benny reappears in the season 7 episode 'Shadows and Symbols' and appears to have control over what happens in the story we are watching. Hence the scene when Benny is tempted with erasing his work, Sisko is having a crisis opening the orb of the Emissary.

Naturally had this been the ending DS9 would be fully disconnected from TNG and VOY and would pose the question that every Star Trek series is just a dream/story made real.

15. Ryva Brall

Which, of course, would have been unacceptable. Because, as we all know, it's reeeeeaaallll!! :D

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvkzIglxkwg[/yt]

ROFL

17. Ryva Brall

:rofl:

Ten-hour version, please.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I thought the whole Benny thing was later revealed to be a false vision from the Pah Wraiths.

19. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

One off-topic question I must ask; who is the pretty redhead gal in your avatar?

20. Ryva Brall

Off-topic? How dare you! I'm putting you on report.

Seriously, though, that would be me. I recently made Commander, so I decided to make a new avatar, as a gift to myself. It's mostly accurate... except in real life, I have even more freckles. :p