General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Anyone have a VR setup? Thinking about getting the Samsung HMD Odyssey. I got to play with it at a Microsoft store. I really enjoyed it, our library has an Oculus Rift and it’s nice, but didn’t seam as good as the Samsung.

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Just had to replace my laptop's charger. It lasted 6-7 years. Thankfully Staples has one that's compatible. :)

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

VR is a fad. It will pass

4. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually managed to find the powermeter, at boot it uses 58 watts, idle it hovers around 40 watts.
    Browsing between 41 watts and 44 watts
    CPU benchmarks 58.4 watts maximum
    GPU benchmarks, this is an on board card 55.6 watts
    Playing 720p Youtube 55.3 watts
    Playing 720 DVD rip between 46 watts and 53.8 watts
    Running Mint update 57.8 watts
    So for a complete desktop PC it isn't all that much power it draws.

My main machine, a AMD Athlon 5350 AM1 chip idles at 24.7 watts and doesn't even come close to 50 watts when booting, I think I saw 47.7 watts as highest amount of what it pulls from the wall socket.
    Not bad for a quad core CPU, the Sempron is a sigle core @2800Mz, the 5350 a quad core @2050mhz, so yes, 750Mhz slower but it has three cores more.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  5. Gingerbread Demon

That's not bad at all.

I put in a new PSU last year but bought a 750 watt one and now I think I overdid it because according to online psu calculators my system should only draw just under 500 watts at max loading. 448 watts is the figure I got and I think a 650 watt unit would have been fine. Now I regret jumping the gun a bit.

6. Santaman

PSU's are the most efficient when they run at around 50% capacity so in that respect 750 watts isn't bad, also PSU's age so having a bit of a reserve is not a bad thing, of course the most important thing is that was made by a reputable manufacturer, OEM's like Delta, Seasonic, FSP etc, also, PSU's are made to spec for the client, so for example BeQuit uses FSP as OEM and FSP builds the PSU's according to BeQuit's specs, BeQuit will pick one of their platforms and then ask FSP for example to use higher quality capacitors and so on.

Qonundrum likes this.
  7. Gingerbread Demon

My last PSU was a Corsair and the one I have now is also a Corsair. I think they use seasonic as their builder.

Oddly the old cooler master I have had very similar internals to the old Corsair I had so I'm thinking they might make stuff for multiple brands.

8. Santaman

Seasonic is indeed a OEM which makes PSU's for quite a lot of companies.

Qonundrum and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just ordered my new PC...

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    8GB Ram
    1060 GTX 6GB GPU
    WD Blue 500gb SSD
    1TB HDD (cheap bog standard 2nd drive)

With some basic CPU Liquid cooling and Windows 10 (making the jump from 7).

Should do me nicely :) for some gaming and a lot of daily general usage.

Saturn0660 and Random_Spock like this.
  10. Gingerbread Demon

But as a brand are they good? I have never had any issues with past or present PSU units.

11. Santaman

Seasonic usually makes very nice PSU's even their lower tier units are good quality.

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

nVidia have just released their 2000 series - have a gander and see if they have they have a comparable card in the same price range.

13. Gingerbread Demon

I am still using my R9 380 4gig card and haven't been able to find anything new that was around the same price I paid for mine brand new. Most good cards are a bit out of my price range at the moment. I think I still have a bit of life left with this card.

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I have the Dell VR windows visor and it is really good, better res than the Oculus, less screen door effect and no god rays, which are all issues with the Rift, but the Rift like the Vive are now almost 3 year old tech so no big surprise they are now bettered with these newer HMDs, but if the Odyssey is anything like the Dell then you should be very happy with it.

But remember, once you open that VR bottle you can't put it back, i can no longer play Euro truck sim II or American truck sim without VR, i have become so accustomed to driving from inside the cab in VR, same with Dirt rally, Elite Danger and Star trek Bridge crew, once seen in VR there is no going back. ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

That’s what happened, we went to a Minecraft convention and they had Minecraft in VR and it was amazing. The setup was kinda meh but then I played Halo on the Samsung setup and I was blown away. I loved it so much, so definitely want to go down the rabbit hole.

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Halo vr is not really very good, so wait until you try actual good vr stuff like Arizona sunshine, the best Zombie vr shooter out their, or Superhot vr where you basically become a bullet dodging Matrix character, or google maps in vr which is just amazing, or flying through the human body, or sitting in the first space capsule as it launches, or floating around the iss, the future of education will be in vr when you experience these things, some truly fantastic stuff.

17. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WTF is "Html passthru?"

I have to type links in a particular program ("SurveyPro") and support hays they have to be in "HTML passthru option."
    Now, I did a LITTLE Html when I built a crap Angelfire website a million years ago, but I have no idea what passthru is, or how it's different. I know links in html need an <a href="link">text</a>, but that's the current limit of my knowledge. And in this program, that shows up as text, not a link at all.

So again, WTF is Html passthru, and how do I write in it?

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just be glad it's not digital passover.

Those poor Egyptians :(

19. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Has anyone ever checked out JonnyGuru for PSU tests? http://www.jonnyguru.com/ Definitely helped me three years ago for my last tower build.

First she's unimpressed by the length of his scarf, then the next we see she's tied up somewhere. Coincidence? :devil: (ditto for the marriage jokes; did they get married for real around that time period. Didn't last, but if I married someone old enough to be my daughter I doubt it'd last very long and the spanking wouldn't be fun either...)

Santaman likes this.
  20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Well, she could have judged the length of his "scarf" by watching a certain scene in Pasolini's Canterbury Tales. Ahem...

Qonundrum likes this.