Spoilers Game of Thrones - Season 7

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 24, 2017.

1. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Great episode, the ending was depressing, I want Euron dead, like really, really dead!

publiusr likes this.
  2. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I am wondering how effective that giant crossbow will be against an active Dragon? In the demo the bolt seemed pretty heavy and was dropping as it struck the old skull. It was also slow and I think would be difficult to lead your target. About the only attack method I think would be to lure a Dragon down and ambush it.

Another ponder with this season. Euron had to build that enormous fleet very quickly since all the original ships had been stolen. THat is a lot of very complex boats constructed in about a month (?). THe Iron Islands did not look like they would even have enough trees to harvest for the construction, let alone the skilled craftsmen it would take to build such a fleet...

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Another thought occurs: Everyone seems to have taken the black. Not just Cersei as part of her power play and Ollena as a woman grieving, but Daenerys, Tyrion, Missandei, Grey Worm, Yara, Theon, Varys (at least during the war council), Jaime, Sansa, Littlefinger, Arya...pretty much everyone except Sam, Jorah, and the Dornish women. Is this what Westeros does when winter has comes? :lol:

I watched the episode again and I see that I was wrong about the fleets. Yara's fleet was to take the Dornish army up to King's Landing and not continue on to Casterly Rock. Looks like we may see it after all.

True, although Euron didn't hold anything back when he slaughtered Obara and Nymeria and then mounted them from the prow of Yara's ship. I guess he decided he only needed some of them, although he had no way of knowing if the others would be captured.

Yeah, after watching the episode again, I noticed that it was indeed the Sand Snakes. I sure hope Euron dies of poisoning but I suspect you're right and that part of their characterization will be forgotten, or quietly ignored.

I was also taken aback by her coldness towards Hot Pie. Considering how she lit up when Hot Pie told her that Jon had taken over Winterfell and became the King of the North, there's still hope for her yet. I wonder if she'll get into some kind of squabble with Sansa and make her cold again.

Another thought: Bran isn't far away now. Hopefully he can make it down to Winterfell and make it a good and proper reunion.

Good point about the Dothraki. Maybe she has a surprise plan for them, but for what, I cannot think.

I've been wanting Euron dead since he first popped up in the books. He's an awful bastard.

I was thinking the same thing. But at the same time, I thought about Bard and Smaug, but I guess that was Tolkien luck (especially with the single missing scale). Either way, I was a bit underwhelmed that was Qyburn's solution that he was working on, although I don't know what else he could've been working on considering the magic horns don't seem to have a role to play in the show.

I think this is a result of a truncated timeline, one that would be resolved with the slow pace of the books. The last two seasons of the show (i.e. seven and eight) are going to rush the pace and the closing movements of season six bled right into that. Look at how Varys was able to hold the meeting at Sunspear and then all the way back to Meeren all in the finale episode, just in time for the fleet to depart. Or look at Arya's travel from Bravos to the Twins. The timeline has been seriously compressed unfortunately.

4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Ellaria killed her daughter. I don't think she'll be given another option except "die"...

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing that was the prototype to be sure that it could penetrate the skull. The next phase is to make a lot of them. Then you can shoot a bunch in the general direction of the dragon and hope one hits.

I wondered this too. It's simply not possible even if they had access to the necessary resources, which they didn't. You basically have to hand waive it away. If building a fleet was that easy, everyone would have one! In fact, of all people, the Iron Islanders are not builders and acquire through stealing, which makes it doubly unbelievable!

6. Mr Awe

You could be right. Maybe she'll be held hostage, incapacitated, and threatened with death to stop the others.

Or maybe not. We'll see! I think Cersei will try to use her at least.

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Considering the timeline i think it was stated by the producers that they are not concerning themselves too much about showing people travelling since it's boring and does not serve the story so for Varys in the season 6 finale setting out to Dorne, making his appearance during the meeting and making it back to Mereen seems only possible if he caught a contemporary red eye flight when instead the episode must have spanned weeks.

So in all fairness it could have been months between Euron's command to build ships and him having his fleet (and the Ironborn are experienced shipbuilders).. it's still a little too fast i think but what the hell, it's not show or storybreaking to me.

Next week seems very promising.. Jon arrives at Dragonstone and Dany sits all Trump like on her Throne.. did she read "Art of the Deal"? ;) That will be one to see.. two differing agendas and Jon is not really one to willingly bend his knee. Dany might get a lesson in humility and realize they actually need each other more than they know. She has lost a quarter of her force when Euron ambushed Yara and took out the fleet and the Dorne army so she needs a stable and trustworthy ally elsewhere but Jon needs the Dragonglass and above all manpower. Who will blink first?

8. Mr Awe

^ It would take years to build a fleet like that!

9. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, yeah, maybe you should take your own advice there.

Captaindemotion and EmoBorg like this.
  10. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I believe that Ellaria will be put to death by Cersei. The death of her daughter at the hands of Ellaria will be avenged.

Cersei may likely give the last remaining Sand Snake to either Euron or to the Mountain for them to have their way with.

Cersei is no Feminst. She cares only about power and using that power to take revenge on those who wronged her.

The meeting between Jon Snow and the Mother of Dragons will be futile. Both of them have different goals.

Daenerys is determined to unite the seven Kingdoms under her rule and she will certainly ask Jon Snow to bend the knee to her.

Jon Snow, aware of the strong anti Targaryen sentiment in the North and the Vale, may put off swearing allegiance to her. That causes their first meeting to bear little or no results.

I hope Jorah get cured and get to meet his niece Lyanna later on. That is a meeting that i want to see.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  11. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It won't be a happy reunion. As Jorah himself said, he has a very bad reputation with the rest of this family. I think he technically committed capital crimes, so she'll probably behead him.

12. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But isn't that because the line to Robert Baratheon is still direct? Cersei didn't have a claim to the throne as a Lannister but as widow to Robert and mother to the most recent kings (even if they weren't Robert's sons but he claimed them as such, and I think their incestuous parentage has never been made official). At least that would be my interpretation.

Otherwise, I'm not that hyped by season 7 yet. Episode 1 felt more like a filler, and episode 2 took a few turns that didn't make much sense to me.

Such as Arya not knowing about Jon defeating the Boltons and being the King of the North - the battle even has a name, so people must have talked about it, and it's been a while (the same episode she finally left Essos) since... she spent time at the Freys (who must have talked) and still she doesn't know? So far, the series gave the impression that everyone learns about events more or less automatically, and this little, very personal bit of information just passes her by?

And while I loved the confrontation on Dragonstone between Danaerys and Varys (and Tyrion), why now? It seemed a bit construed to have that debate now after Varys has been within Dany's circle for quite some time now (and forged the alliance). Regarding well-laid plans, now Dany's lost half of her fleet (well, pretty much her Westeros' allies save for Olena), and two of said Westeros allies are now hostages. A setback no one has really forseen in her camp.

Looking forward to seeing Arya return to Winterfell, and Sansa meeting with Tyrion at some point (hope that will happen). And Bran, of course, should join the others as well. And Jon meeting Dany (and Tyrion) should prove interesting, if rather futile right now. How will he (and Ser Davos) react to Melisandre's presence? And please kill off Littlefinger already - you had the chance here, Jon, but unfortunately you're far too moral! Sansa standing in for Jon doesn't really bode well. Finally she has power, let's just see how fast it (and Littlefinger) can corrupt her. Lyanna Mormont should have been the standin, everyone listens to her anyway. *g* I won't even get into Cersei's hypocrisy and lies.

The events at the Citadel are too separated from the rest - granted, they provide background and information, but still.

So overall, a few very good scenes, but otherwise this season doesn't have me on the edge of my seat, chewing my fingernails off yet the way season 6 had.

13. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Plus I'd almost bet that the scene from the preview will be the very last scene in episode 3...........

14. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

When Cersei was crowned in Season 6 episode 10 she was crowned as Cersei of House Lannister

I also wondered why Arya had not heard about the Battle of the Bastards until she was told about it by Hot Pie. It is possible she didn't speak to many people before reaching The Twins and maybe she deliberately keep communication at a bare minimum while she was wearing the face of Walder Frey because she was concerned that she might make someone suspicious by saying the wrong thing, but what about the time when she was disguised as a serving girl, or even when she was talking to the soldiers?

15. The Nth Doctor

Actually, that's pretty easily explained. Varys arrived in Mereen just after Daenerys left and then he left for Dorne before she returned. They wouldn't have met until he returned with Dorne's fleet, at which point she would be more thankful for his help and their ships than confrontational. Tyrion probably also temporarily softened the blow before Varys' return. As a result, it makes some sense that Daenerys wouldn't confront him regarding his past deeds until their arrival at Dragonstone.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  16. Mr Awe

^ I also think they're setting up her pattern of behavior of demanding allegiance before Jon arrives so her decision to throw him in the dungeon makes sense to the audience. (at least that's my guess!)

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Random theory-- Danerys will order one her to dragons crispy-fry Jon and he'll either come out unscathed, or the dragons will change allegiance.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh? I was commenting on something that happened in Episode 2... after it had aired... after people on here were already talking about it...

19. The Nth Doctor

People have theorized whether or not Jon is fire-proof so that would be a cool scene to see. I just watched the whole show again and the only time Jon is even close to fire (aside from a torch or a lit arrow) is when he fights off the wight in the first season and that was just throwing Mormont's lantern. I don't remember the details for the books, but I don't believe Jon has had any close encounters with fire yet.

20. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

In the books the Targaryens are not immune to fire.