Episodes that are generally considered "bad" that you actually like

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by GeordiFan, Aug 26, 2018.

1. caseylee4ts

caseylee4ts Lieutenant Red Shirt

"The Alternative Factor" (TOS) - yes it has some flaws, but I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be.
    "Genesis" (TNG) - this was always one of my favorite TNG episodes. Pretty freaky! Although it premiered in March, it could easily have been the TNG Halloween episode.
    "Threshold" (VOY) - I can easily see why this one is generally not a fan favorite, but I like how they explore the limits of warp travel as well as Tom's obsession with the project despite what's happening to him.

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    'Masks' always feels to me like Stewart and Spiner reliving their very-serious Greek theatre drama classes. Just can't take seriously for all its po-faced earnestness.

'Spock's Brain' on the other hand is just cheesy sci-fi fun. Not great, but not anywhere near the worst episode of TOS.

3. GeordiFan

GeordiFan Lieutenant Red Shirt

A few more I'll add to my list, Catspaw, That Which Survives, The Savage Curtain, Turnabout Intruder, Lonely Among Us, Devil's Due (one of my top ten TNG episodes), Masks, The Cloud, Learning Curve, The 37s, Twisted, Basics

Spectre Of The Fun likes this.
  4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

It makes me feel a little better about liking "Masks" that so many people here seem to like it as well. :)

5. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

Move Along Home. Minus the hopscotch song. It was stuck in my head for a week after the first time I watched it. :wah:

uniderth likes this.
  6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I need to rewatch that one. I've gone through the series many times but I think I've only seen this episode once.

7. Kerock

Kerock Commander Red Shirt

I don't know if it was considered bad but I enjoyed TNG "Rascals". I never like TOS " The Empath" slow slow slow......

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  8. 1moreRobot

1moreRobot Lieutenant Red Shirt

Several have mentioned “The Royale” and it’s what popped immediately to my mind. Which is weird, because I generally have a low tolerance for the “Trek economizes with existing sets/costumes/props” episodes that all the series have in abundance (the gang visits the Wild West/fights the Nazis/teleports to the 1960s/etc). But for some reason, I find The Royale fun and very soothing to watch. It is a pleasantly nostalgic throwback to the truly weird scenarios and settings the early seasons had, and I just...like it.

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enterprise Incident. I've always heard criticism. I've never understood why

10. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

One of my favorite episodes really seems to get so much hate here, but I've always really loved "Sub Rosa".

I feel it's a very enjoyable romantic ghost story, and I feel Beverly's situation is very interesting to think about, and I feel Gates totally should've won an award for her acting in that episode. I can totally understand it's not for everyone, but I don't understand how some people feel every single thing has to be aimed towards him and what he's interested in, and I feel hate for this episode is very much undeserved.

Sarxus likes this.
  11. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I don't know. Always seemed odd to me. It was never one of my favorites but I watched it recently and was pleasantly surprised that it was better than what I remembered. I still wouldn't call it good and it will probably be a long time before I watch it again.

12. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Within the last couples of years I watched the entire Voyager series and the only episode that I bailed on was The Fight. I got about 15 minutes in and said, okay that's enough and moved on to the next one. As the series progressed, I got really annoyed by many of the episodes that featured the doctor getting petulant about his perceived lack of freedom. It got really old, really fast. The one where he daydreams also makes my eyes roll.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Rascals" works because the casting for the kid versions is so dead-on.

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I felt the angst that Picard and Miles-Keiko went through was pretty well-played too. Plus Riker explaining the computer system to the Ferengi was hilariously meta.

15. Sarxus

Sarxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's interesting, I had planned to start a thread exactly like this one myself.

Hell yeah! That was exactly the episode I had in mind for this. When first time I had seen it, knowing that it's not among the favorite episodes in general, I thought like "Why would it be considered that bad? What's so wrong about it?" And some weeks ago I rewatched it and must say I like it too. This may also be due to the fact that I somehow like the character Beverly Crusher a lot and damn, Gates McFadden is so great in this one.

Another "Guilty Pleasure" of mine I just rewatched: "Justice". Honestly, it's not that bad imo. I mean, I get why people can easily dislike it, I guess it's easy to focus on the weird costumes etc., but that's not the episode's point. Or rather, I think the presentation is by purpose so exaggerated, since the episode tells about a civilisation which seems to be perfect, flawless etc. from the outside, but seeing through this façade, there are lots of problems actually. What's more, the episode is a perfect example for Star Trek's humanistic message with speaking out against death penalty and so on. So yeah, the episode looks somehow weard and it's also not the most thrilling or action-packed ones, but I like it actually. Especially Picard is amazing in it, giving some memorable dialogues.

Marynator likes this.
  16. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Ronald Moore has labeled "Up The Long Ladder" one of TNG's worst episodes but its a highlight of season 2 for me. I think the idea of a society composed entirely of clones was intriguing, and the away teams's discovery of that fact, hightened by Ron Jones's creepy score, was one of TNG's more eerie and strange moments.

I also liked the happy ending where Picard solved the dilemma by integrating the Clones and the Irish colonists. Plus this episode begins with Worf and Pulaski bonding over tea. What's not to love?

uniderth likes this.
  17. GeordiFan

GeordiFan Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like Rascals too

18. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. I also like the Royale because it has a plot like something out of the Twilight Zone.

19. Fred1701

Fred1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

ANYTHING WITH BARCLAY WAS DUMBBBBBBBB!!!!!

20. Fred1701

Fred1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hated it! On my 10 'least' wanted List!