• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Christmas episodes?

  • Thread starter Laura Cynthia Chambers
  • Start date
As a Jew, Christmas is already so omnipresent in American culture when it comes to December that I'd much rather see Star Trek attempt something different, or at least make a strong point of acknowledging that not everyone gives a fig about Xmas. I don't trust the writers to present a balanced perspective though...and perhaps they don't trust themselves either, which is why they've stayed away from such content.

Just call it 'Life Day' and you're good.

Screenshot-2026-07-27-154047.jpg
 
You know how some retailers will use phrases like "holiday tree" to claim to be religion-neutral even though it is clearly a Christmas tree?

What if the Enterprise just had an IDIC Tree up?
 
Too bad there isn't one good Trek TV episode where Christmas is more than an event that happened offscreen, a literary allusion, a flashback, or a holodeck program, and some of the main crew characters celebrate it in some fashion.

I'm late to the party on this, but I'm so glad there isn't.

I like to think religion has been cured in the future, and that's partially why Earth has moved on and life is better.
 
I'm late to the party on this, but I'm so glad there isn't.

I like to think religion has been cured in the future, and that's partially why Earth has moved on and life is better.
I'm not going to get into a debate with you about religion itself. However, there is lots of evidence throughout Trek of religion still existing. Regarding Christmas specifically, from Helen Noel attending a Christmas party with Kirk to Picard's Nexus fantasy being set around a Christmas tree, it seems clear that Christmas is still celebrated in the 23rd and 24th centuries.
 
I'm not going to get into a debate with you about religion itself. However, there is lots of evidence throughout Trek of religion still existing. Regarding Christmas specifically, from Helen Noel attending a Christmas party with Kirk to Picard's Nexus fantasy being set around a Christmas tree, it seems clear that Christmas is still celebrated in the 23rd and 24th centuries.
I can't comment on TOS, but I do see the nexus thing as a fantasy. I mean, the kids alone are something from a bygone age. It's highly stylised.

Also didn't Gene just outright say religion is not part of the future Trek?
 
I can't comment on TOS, but I do see the nexus thing as a fantasy. I mean, the kids alone are something from a bygone age. It's highly stylised.

Also didn't Gene just outright say religion is not part of the future Trek?
Gene said lots of things about Star Trek that were clearly not true.

In "Data's Day," for example, Data specifically refers to "the Hindu festival of lights" as taking place on board the Enterprise.
 
Also didn't Gene just outright say religion is not part of the future Trek?
Roddenberry did say that, but it's never been adhered to. In addition to the above examples, we know from the Berman era that Native Americans retain their spiritual beliefs. In Kurtzman era, there are humans wearing turbans and hijabs on Lower Decks, and also someone wearing a hijab on SFA. Humanity has not abandoned religion in the Trek future at all.
 
Roddenberry did say that, but it's never been adhered to. In addition to the above examples, we know from the Berman era that Native Americans retain their spiritual beliefs. In Kurtzman era, there are humans wearing turbans and hijabs on Lower Decks, and also someone wearing a hijab on SFA. Humanity has not abandoned religion in the Trek future at all.
You can also add the bajorans on DS9. There were tons of episodes dealing with religion on that show. Season two actually opened with a bajoran three parter. Its one of many reasons that incarnation of Star Trek will always be my favorite.
 
Last edited:
In Kurtzman era, there are humans wearing turbans and hijabs on Lower Decks, and also someone wearing a hijab on SFA. Humanity has not abandoned religion in the Trek future at all.

Turbans are not uniquely religious. And a hijab is not proof of religion. They were worn to indicate social status before Islam. And I'd like to think they were reclaimed by women.
 
So everything that was once religious is now just cultural; tradition without meaning?

Considering all the Humans there are in the galaxy and how many we see eschew some or all modern technology by choice in defiance of society, I can't believe everybody would agree to drop religion.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top