Episodes that are generally considered "bad" that you actually like

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by GeordiFan, Aug 26, 2018.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

A non-misogynstic episode involving the Ferengi wouldn't really be an episode involving the Ferengi. I mean, that's their culture, so like it or not, if you take that out (at least in the timeframes we've witnessed), then it's not them anymore.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah but Rules started that arc towards equality for males and females in thier society. It's actually a pretty important episode.

DonIago and Sarxus like this.
  3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably the worst thing the Ferengi did. :)

4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's the problem with Sub Rosa? I haven't seen it in twenty odd years but...
    JB

5. Sarxus

Sarxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Me neither. To mee it was easily the best episode from VOY Season 1. Story and message are Star Trek out of the book, plus it's an awesome character episode for Neelix. I think it was the episode with that I really started to like him.

6. johnnybear

Wasn't Jetrel one of Neelix's own people out in space? Played by James Sloyan if I remember correctly?
    JB

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Sub Rosa was the Scottish Ghost one who seduces Crusher right? I think people didn’t like it as it felt more of a Lifetime story rather than Trek.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  8. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I have seen every episode of TNG from seasons 1-6 but there are still some episodes from season 7 that I have not watched all the way through, and Sub Rosa is one of them. If I knew I was going to live for another 50 years maybe I could justify sacrificing the 42 minutes needed to watch it. ;)

9. Sarxus

Sarxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nope, Jetrel was a doctor from a species that once was at war with the Talaxians (hope this is written correctly in English ^^). He made cruel experiences and was therefore responsible for the death of Neelix' family if I remember correctly. But in this episode, the Voyager needs his help, so it's a huge dilemma, especially for Neelix of course.

johnnybear likes this.
  10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's what made it so disturbing--in a good way. Nobody ever said that STAR TREK is supposed to be feel-good all the time. There's lots of horror and tragedy on TOS.

And, yeah, the ep hasn't aged well, but that that final bit where the kids finally mourn their parents really got to me as a kid back in the sixties.

(And I love "Is There in Truth No Beauty." Spock's whole monologue, when he's mind-melded with the Medusan, about how humanoids are so cut off from each other, is just great.

11. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both part of "Birthright", usually considered boring if not offensive but I thought they had strong characters and drama.

"If Wishes Were Horses" (good to have some light DS9 including non-Ferengi goofiness) and "The Muse" (the plot and guest character were definitely pretty weird but pretty entertaining for that).

Farscape One likes this.
  12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Damn straight.

Captain Clark Terrell and GNDN18 like this.
  14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^I think I'd love to see Mods start using that one when they lock threads.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  15. johnnybear

Of course that cascade weapon where they tried to materialise Talaxian people from the messed up signal! Thanks, Sarxus! :techman:
    JB

Sarxus likes this.
  16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, what part. I thought everyone was for equality and the like. The one thing I loved about the Ferengi was they still believed in a stock market, which I've been getting into here in the US, learning how to invest and such. I remember in the episode Family Business (I think) when Quark makes a comment about how the market is doing and that made me really smile. Financial news is still a thing in the 24th century.

17. Fred1701

Fred1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yuk!!!
    'Carlos' the Alien that makes people crazy because he's Ugly!!
    And
    That Idiotic Re-enactment of the OK Coral with the store fronts but no buildings?!!

Again....YUK!!

18. Fred1701

So, are there any you don't like??

19. Fred1701

A
    And I agree. There was a lot of death in ST and tragedy but the way that particular episode played out,... Not a good one not now and not 40+ years ago when I was a kid.
    I thought the costumes were hideous, the acting horrible as well (especially Felix Unger's daughter Edna!) and the entire plot with the fist pumping and the Spectre of that ghost figure....YUK!!!

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Sure. "The Alternative Factor," "Turnabout Intruder," "Way to Eden," "Mudd's Women," "Friday's Child," "Miri," etc.

And I'll concede that "And The Children Shall Lead" has not aged very well, mostly because the chanting kids get annoying, but I'll testify that the ep creeped me out as a kid, and I think the dead parent stuff is probably the best and most powerful part of the episode.

(I'll also cop to having brought Gorgan the Friendly Angel back in one of my TREK novels.)