Dune Part 2 2023 (24, 25, 26...)

Studios must be expecting this to be huge, Kung Fu Panda from Universal using those 84 rights to connect Dune to their ads

LtXHnqm.jpeg

We've had three Barons and none of them even cast a shadow on the book.

Come on.

Teh Baron's introduction in the first book:

"Is it not a magnificent thing that I, the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, do?"

He doesn't get better. in the first book he's a bloviating homophobic stereotype. I'm told that they've worked at retconning the second part, but I didn't hang around past the first couple of merch books sequels.

Villeneuve was asked during the press junket about IMAX ratio blue ray home releases. He answers yes, both movies will have home release Blue Rays in IMAX, and that he actually thought it was already out for part 1, it was definitely made and supposed to be coming out.

The Dune movie official twitter account retweeted it, for what that's worth.

My hope is we'll get a fancy double feature IMAX package in a couple months.

https://twitter.com/KevinMcCarthyTV/status/1762501915101757721?t=QMtMmP5QZskzc5qK_LQlEQ&s=19

1 min 34 seconds in

Just came back and WOW - what an epic movie.

I will not talk about specifics here for a while but one thing i will say - book purists/fanatics will hate this movie and i loved it. Core plot points and core themes are there but Villeneuve made some bold choices and they worked for me.

I have to go to bed now and get at least some hours of sleep before i wake up for work so if any of you want specifics PM me or write in spoiler code and i'll reply in spoiler code.

Just came back and WOW - what an epic movie.

I will not talk about specifics here for a while but one thing i will say - book purists/fanatics will hate this movie and i loved it. Core plot points and core themes are there but Villeneuve made some bold choices and they worked for me.

I have to go to bed now and get at least some hours of sleep before i wake up for work so if any of you want specifics PM me or write in spoiler code and i'll reply in spoiler code.
I haven't seen the new movie yet, but what spoilers I''ve seen don't phase me and I've read Dune three times. A couple of reported changes might actually improve on the book and the previous adaptations. I'm just hoping part 2 does well enough to get Dune Messiah greenlit.

Last edited:
Planning on re-watching the first Friday night. It had been on Netflix. Apparently they pulled it recently, right before the new one came out so it's not streaming anywhere, the only legal way to watch it is to rent or buy it:rolleyes:

I get the business logic of it, but still seems like dirty pool to me.

in the first book he's a bloviating homophobic stereotype. I'm told that they've worked at retconning the second part, but I didn't hang around past the first couple of merch books sequels.
Not really. The Frank Herbert books come short of outright labelling the Baron a homosexual, they just very thinly imply it given how he always talks about boys. The Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson novels do outright label the Baron a homosexual, whilst also showing him raping women.

Well, the point I was trying to make was Frank's books tried to be more subtle about it than Brian and KJA's did.

I mean, again, Feyd tries to assassinate him while he rapes a slave boy, and in the same chapter he talks about how women arent his taste. I just don't see that as being subtle:shrug:

The rape of Mohaim was ridiculous (like a lot of their books), as was her giving him every std in existence because BH&KJA forgot the Baron being diseased was from Lynch and not the book.

I'm not defending their writing, but the Baron is blatantly out as a gay pedophile in the first book. There's no mincing around it.

Never felt it was subtle.

He even talks about finding one that looks like Paul, admires Fenring's wife as having a neck like a "young boy" and drugging one slave so he doesn't have to fight too much.

I just remember when I first read House Atreides (over twenty years ago) thinking "wow, they're even less subtle about the Baron's sexuality." Maybe my memory was doing tricks to me, maybe it still is, but it's a thought I remember having.

I just remember when I first read House Atreides (over twenty years ago) thinking "wow, they're even less subtle about the Baron's sexuality." Maybe my memory was doing tricks to me, maybe it still is, but it's a thought I remember having.

Well, let’s face it… Pinky and the Brain’s definition of ‘subtle’ is something along the lines of, ‘Say it on page two instead of page one of the chapter, with more blood, guts and gore.’

:barf::rolleyes: :confused:

Cheers,
-CM-

be nice if my local cinema (there's only one in the city) had showing earlier in the day during the week.

3pm and later showings really do not work for me.

Back