Dune Part 2 2023 (24, 25, 26...)

me right now:
not-listening-gollum.gif

In my case, Oppenheimer was actually a negative theatre experience. The theatre was crowded, resulting in some stranger sitting next to me. And that guy was jumpy, any time there was a loud noise, he'd leap out of his chair like a cartoon character. Near the end of the movie just before the nuke goes off, I sat there thinking "fuck, he's totally going to jump, isn't he?" And sure enough, he did.

At least you didn't have an old guy sitting next to you that felt unwell and instead of leaving the cinema decided to lay down on the floor in front of my seat. That made my experience of watching Oppenheimer memorable.

There's now an official snapchat filter to see yourself in a stilsuit riding a sandworm.

I don't have snapchat and don't plan on getting it to test it out.

We've had three Barons and none of them even cast a shadow on the book. But the most recent movie one is the least objectionable to me. IMHO of course.

We've had three Barons and none of them even cast a shadow on the book. But the most recent movie one is the least objectionable to me. IMHO of course.

My opinion may change after Saturday, but I thought Skarsgard's Baron was too cartoonishly evil, just like Lynch's. Add to that, Skarsgard just copied his line delivery from King Arthur 20 years before.

I felt the mini-series more adequately reflected the character from the book.

Violent, dangerous, scheming, sure, but still human. No worse, and, in many ways, better, than a disgustingly large proportion of historical figures with equivalent power.

Personally, I feel that making the Baron (and the Harkonnens in general) so over the top as in 84 & 21 removes part of the impact of the book. The danger of powerful people.

84 & 21 Harkonnens were just cartoon characters looking for their comeuppance.

The miniseries still seemed like people.

I'm guessing that 21 is done on purpose to further show Paul's journey in Messiah ("remember the ridiculously over the top evil guys from the first two movies? Turns out, the pretty boy hero is worse") but still not my fav path.

No thanks, I'll watch it on my tv in my living room.
Normally, that is what I do. This time my initial impression from the trailers made me feel this needs to be seen on the big screen at least once. And I am greatly glad that I did. The expansive visuals and the encompassing sound are for once enhanced by that theater environment, and for my experience it was worth it.

Normally, that is what I do. This time my initial impression from the trailers made me feel this needs to be seen on the big screen at least once. And I am greatly glad that I did. The expansive visuals and the encompassing sound are for once enhanced by that theater environment, and for my experience it was worth it.
I never felt a larger screen enhances a movie in any meaningful way and the sound in a theater is usually way too loud for me to enjoy, the people are annoying. They talk, they check their phone, they have to go pee or buy popcorn and walk in front of me. Before the movie I have to sit through 20 to 30 minutes of commercials and trailers I do not care for and when I think the movie finally starts some employee walks in asking "Does anybody want ice cream?" and inevitably three or four people want some and the employee has to walk to all of them individually with the stupid ice cream tray and all of them only figure out it would be a good idea to get money out of their pocket to pay for it after he arrives at their seat. My blood pressure goes up just thinking about it.

Going to a cinema is a miserable experience for me and I'm okay with waiting until a movie becomes available to watch at home.

the people are annoying

Yes.

they check their phone

Fucking, yes.

My blood pressure goes up just thinking about it

Yes.

Going to a cinema is a miserable experience for me and I'm okay with waiting until a movie becomes available to watch at home.

Same.

In particular, I hate how at the start of a movie people are told not use their phones and they still do it.

I haven't seen a movie at the cinema since I saw The Eternals and Dune Part 1 in the same day... years ago.

I was actually thinking about seeing Dune Part 2 at the cinema, but reading this whole post reminded me why I don't bother anymore.

Last edited:
Richard S. Ta said:
In particular, I hate how at the start of a movie people are told not use their phones and they still do it.
You can't just tell people not to do things.
Takeru said:
Before the movie I have to sit through 20 to 30 minutes of commercials and trailers I do not care for and when I think the movie finally starts some employee walks in asking "Does anybody want ice cream?" and inevitably three or four people want some and the employee has to walk to all of them individually with the stupid ice cream tray and all of them only figure out it would be a good idea to get money out of their pocket to pay for it after he arrives at their seat. My blood pressure goes up just thinking about it.
Ugh. I try to avoid theaters that are like that. A while back it felt like that business model was catching on and spreading.

My opinion may change after Saturday, but I thought Skarsgard's Baron was too cartoonishly evil, just like Lynch's. Add to that, Skarsgard just copied his line delivery from King Arthur 20 years before.

I felt the mini-series more adequately reflected the character from the book.

Violent, dangerous, scheming, sure, but still human. No worse, and, in many ways, better, than a disgustingly large proportion of historical figures with equivalent power.

Personally, I feel that making the Baron (and the Harkonnens in general) so over the top as in 84 & 21 removes part of the impact of the book. The danger of powerful people.

84 & 21 Harkonnens were just cartoon characters looking for their comeuppance.

The miniseries still seemed like people.

I'm guessing that 21 is done on purpose to further show Paul's journey in Messiah ("remember the ridiculously over the top evil guys from the first two movies? Turns out, the pretty boy hero is worse") but still not my fav path.
So, I have a slightly different perspective, but it comes from looking at the book differently. On a recent reread, I found myself less compelled by Paul as a hero and more interested in him as a protagonist. The Baron, as an antagonist, is far more reflective of excess that humans with power often exhibit, that uncontrollable need to consume more.

Looking at it from that perspective, I think the miniseries gives us a little more human glimpse, but that is even doing more than book does. These figures are really forces of nature, with Paul reflective of the force of prophecy, while the Baron reflective of the force of excess.

I don't know if I am articulating this well, but I am ok with the 21 version of the Baron because he still is very human, but reflective of the extreme desire of satiating every whim, including revenge.

You can't just tell people not to do things.

Of course you can. Just a question of are there any enforceable consequences.

So, I have a slightly different perspective, but it comes from looking at the book differently. On a recent reread, I found myself less compelled by Paul as a hero and more interested in him as a protagonist.

Paul Atreides is the real villain - even more so than the Baron, Shaddam IV, Feyd-Rautha or Glossu Rabban. He knows what terrors he will unleash on the known universe and how many billions will die in the religious war spread by his fanatical followers. The book is a warning about the dangers of religious zealotry and messianic cults. Frank Herbert wrote Dune Messiah as the follow-up book because so many people misread Dune and thought Paul was a saviour figure. One might argue that the Bene Gesserit are fundamentally more responsible for accidentally creating Paul through their breeding program and their covert manipulation both of societies through religion and of powerful individuals through exploiting their psychological weaknesses.

Last edited:
Back