DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Whippersnapper.

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know if half of you who are religious prayed to God and the old half sold your souls to Satan for HD Ds9 it would increase the odds a little bit? Aithest has the science stuff covered so now we need to go for the spirtual angle to cover all bases.

Jason

sumbuddyx and DS9forever like this.
  3. Kaelef

Kaelef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe it'll be the Vulcans who demand an HD remake as "only logical".

4. Jayson1

Granted by the time they get here the world will be living in a post- apocolptic nightmare were cities are in ruins, people fight over limited supplies and people have reverted back to watching stuff on vcr so they will no longer know what HD means.

Jason

sumbuddyx likes this.
  5. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Kaelef

sumbuddyx and Cutie McWhiskers like this.
  7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LaserDisc will never have a future, VHS has still the best quality ;)

Seven of Five likes this.
  8. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Raise your hand if you still have a VHS player AND use it.

I do.

"Be Kind. Please Rewind"

9. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pfft...

10. Kaelef

You really haven't experienced DS9 until you've seen it in its original kinetoscope format.

sumbuddyx and Cutie McWhiskers like this.
  11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Actually I have two D-VHS machines that I still use for recordings. The 40k model, with a DF-480 tape allows for upto 24 hours of SD recording on one tape at about the low-end of DVD quality (of course I've seen some Sony DVD recorders that pack 14 hours on one 4.7GB disc that is hardly watchable).

But those 30k's got refurbished quite a bit because the MPEG-decoders in them were extremely buggy. D-VHS had originally been designed as a SD machine, that had its highest SD mode record at what would've been the equivalent of LP on S-VHS and regular VHS players.

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

13. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

DS9 was partially released on LaserDisc in the late 90s.

Kor

Cutie McWhiskers likes this.
  14. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or 480i, which is two 720x240 fields interlaced temporally to make 1 frame. Interlace lines can sometimes be seen in fast-panning camera movements, sometimes scene fading, and other scene changes. Deinterlacing functions in TV sets or software can make 2 interlaced fields look like a unified progressive (480P) frame but the scan lines can more readily be seen.

There's also source quality material - a DVD or blu-ray at native resolution can still suck if the trv or film master used is of poor quality or, especially if put on blu-ray, a videotape source (480i).

I'd go for DVD, with player and TV set both capable of doing good upscaling - some low-cost brands do terrible upscaling. In no order: Samsung and Sony often have the best picture processing functionality to upscale and improve video quality from a low-res source to a higher-res output. Still, gimme PowerDVD any day.

Streaming, along with higher compression and more compression-induced artifacting, has frames ripped out to improve bitrate usage. It really shows on videotaped material (30FPS down to 24 or 20). Film is 24fps but reduced frames aren't as noticed unless they rip out too many. 120HZ televisions try to artificially create frames by looking at two adjacent frames and drawing what it believes to be a midpoint, to make a smoother image but, whew, it's not perfect. It's not unlike that VidFIRE process the Doctor Who restoration team people used only a bit different...

15. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

:thumbdown::brickwall::angryrazz::censored::wah:

:shrug:

(Seriously, it is disheartening to know it'll never likely be remastered proper.)

Biggs and SpocksOddSocks like this.
  16. Jayson1

I'm curious about my Element tv and DS9 dvd's played on a blu ray player. Would this look better than what you get to see on Amazon Prime? My tv does say it's HDTV and is 50" Class LED, whatever that means.

Jason

17. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. jaime

jaime Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting...but it seems to create a few...odd textures.

19. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yea. The network doesnt know much about Trek in high resolution. It would need to be fed with high res photographs of sets, costumes and actors, so it could use these to replace the low res elements.

A detail from the Klingon uniform:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  20. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure that's a massive improvement. It just looks like aggressive edge sharpening - you can likely get a similar effect by upscaling on your Blu-ray player and using the sharpening feature on your TV.

Kor and BillJ like this.