DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Fleet Admiral Admiral

In my mind, they should do it right or not do it at all.

Qonundrum and ichab like this.
  2. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One could build the AI to use temporal analysis which (despite sounding like trecknobabble from a time travel episode) is actually just a fancy term for analyzing multiple frames and extrapolating based on details visible in one frame but not the next. Should be much better than this attempt, which is looking at frames one at a time and matching it to known items. Next gen AI is going to require orders of magnitude less training than current systems. The AI that recently made news for obsoleting ReCaptcha is an example. It will be able to recognize that Pattern X in frame 2,501 is the the same thing as Pattern Y in frame 2,502 without us telling it that.

TBH, if we're ever going to see DS9-HD, AI is how it's going to happen. At least it will be a big part of it. TNG-R was (while being an unprecedented feat) too expensive of a methodology. Still, I'd give it 10 years before someone tries to sell an AI remaster. Honestly, DS9 is probably a good candidate for a launch product. Not many series from the 80's and 90's are going to have much of an appeal or following 30 years after the fact. Nobody's asking for a remaster of Highlander: The Series.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    DS9forever likes this.
  3. DS9forever

DS9forever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't realize the Simpsons DVDs were starting again. Nice!

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Ensign Red Shirt

I really hope this does happen. DS9 was my favorite show.

Qonundrum and DS9forever like this.
  5. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

And yet you can buy Highlander: the Series on Blu-ray. Granted, they did a terrible job but it's still more than DS9 has so far.

Rachel88 and Michael like this.
  6. kkt

kkt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still hope they leapfrog Blu-Ray and go straight to UHD 4K.

Rachel88 and Qonundrum like this.
  7. Rachel88

Rachel88 Ensign Newbie

I'd be happy if the live action footage was presented in HD and they left the crappy CGI alone.
    That would be better than nothing...

Lord Garth likes this.
  8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AKA Vomit mode. ;)

9. Satron

Satron Commander Red Shirt

I could live with that. The problem is that they'd still have to re-cut, reassemble all the film elements from scratch. DS9 was filmed on film but edited on video in the then-broadcast resolution, which is why even the DVDs look awful.

10. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Not to mention but they were also editing in composite video, as DS9’s masters are on D2 Composite videotape. Composite doesn’t look good converted to component.

11. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 looks amazing on my phone!

JedGhost67 likes this.
  12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Smaller screens - that's the way forward...

Qonundrum, Satron and Prax like this.
  13. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Such AI is still limited by the same resolution (480 interlaced) and it can't create detail where it finds none. To compare, it's like any one of us getting some LSD and asked to draw a picture of the Statue of Liberty. There will be omissions, and bits that were never on the original.

Besides, even under ideal conditions, film still suffers from "the vinegar effect" over time. If for no other reason, I'd be making a digital high-res backup of the original material so something could be saved. The film stock used will certainly last a few more decades; usually color fade is the first problem - especially reds... once the vinegar effect starts, then problems really begin. After x number of lost frames, no AI would be able to extrapolate the number of moves to mimic the original even adequately. Not going to happen. Ask me again in 50 years, 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 1 hour, and 60 seconds. :D

14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup. 550ppi 6" screen capable of 2560x1440 and it's upscaling a 720x240 (480i) video image. That's crisper than what I store my lettuce in, woohoo!!

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it's your call, but personally I wouldn't go over a 4" screen...
    ;)

16. tomswift2002

Considering that the film is currently deep underground in an abandoned salt mine, in a temperature controlled environment, it’s highly unlikely that “vinegar syndrome” will set in for another 100 plus years.

Tomalak likes this.
  17. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Nine 16mm Doctor Who telerecordings dating from the mid-sixties were recovered a few years ago from a TV station archive in Nigeria, where they'd been for 35 years.

Vinegar syndrome thrives in hot and humid conditions. Aside from a little wear and tear, they were in good condition.

I'm pretty sure the DS9 negatives will be fine for a few years yet!

18. tomswift2002

There are still early nitrate films in pretty decent condition that were made over 100 years ago. Of course the don’t contain the same chemicals that are used for color film.

Tomalak likes this.
  19. Rachel88

Rachel88 Ensign Newbie

True, but a least it would shave a lot off the production compared to what they did for TOS and TNG.
    Would it save enough to make the project economically viable? I have no idea...

20. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Fleet Admiral Admiral

Digging the film out and redoing the post-production work is probably the most expensive part of the process.