DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Jedman67

Jedman67 Commodore Commodore

I don't know how the original negatives are stored - are they cut and then comped on video, or the entire episodes shoot is scanned to video and then cut and edited?

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Back in the 90’s the original film was processed to allow for positives to be made and then it was the positives that were actually telecined to videotape; the film then went to the vault.. If it was just a live-action scene, it went to both VHS and D2 composite tape (the VHS was used for the cheaper offline edits that allowed for the editor edit different cuts together before the final edit was done on the higher, more expensive D2), while special effects and model shots went to D1 component so that the effects house could compile the shots in higher quality component, and then the completed effects shots were transferred to D2 for the editors at Paramount to edit into the episode master.

Jedman67 likes this.
  3. Sverre

Sverre Ensign Red Shirt

The original 35mm film was kept in a salt cave for TNG, and re scanned for the Blu Ray. I think DS9 is the same, but CGI assets are separate and many would be missing.

4. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish people would actually look things up before speculating on the whereabouts of the DS9 CGI assets.

Few, if any, of the CG assets are missing. The DS9 CG models are the source (or at least the starting point) for a large chunk of the Eaglemoss ship collection. There's been demo still renders floating around online for years. Most of the textures are 2048x2048, which was way overkill for the time and sufficient for 1080p if not 4K now.

Cutie McWhiskers and DS9forever like this.
  5. STR

Nope. The whole point of these systems are to fill in missing data points in images. Subpixel data can be recovered temporally (reviewing several adjacent frames), predictively (half a face gives enough details to figure out the rest because faces ain't that different) or reconstructively (building a catalog of people, props and sets and figuring out when each person or item is in a frame and using close-ups from an entirely different episode to fill in detail).

All of these methods are in use now. They are not likely to be ready for something like a DS9 remaster...yet. Someone out there is probably writing a PhD thesis on how to do it as I type here.

"AI" gets a lot of hype these days, much of it overblown, but the tech can do image processing. Image processing is precisely how self-driving cars operate.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Not to mention, but the whole “Ships Of The Line” Calendar Line was started because of the opening shot in the Voyager episode “Relativity”. And the CGI models for Voyager and DS9 have been used for it.

Cutie McWhiskers and STR like this.
  7. Firebird

Firebird Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Indeed, and if I remember correctly, this short video was done by one of the VFX artists who worked on DS9, using the original CG elements, to show-off how the DS9 CGI would look at full HD:

EDIT: he also did this jaw-droppingly gorgeous video of the Ent-E that I seriously cannot believe it's all CGI. The dude is good.

8. STR

Man, that 1701-E lounge is great. Never even thought about how (unlike the D) you'd see a lot of the ship out the back.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  9. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ira Behr:
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/01/updates-from-ira-behr-on-what-we-left-behind-ds9-doc/

10. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

CBS is currenty working on remastering the original Charmed-Series to HD. The first two seasons are done already and CBS exptects to be done with all seasons bei September 2019.

Press release with remastered scence.

I'm wondering if they're doing the show themeselves like they did with most of TNG or if they are outsourcing it like Fox did with "X-Files" or that awful "Buffy"-Remaster. I'v never really watched Charmed. Didn't it have many CGI-Shots as well? Probably not as much as DS9 and Voyager but still, this announcement and the fact that CBS is also doing a HD-Remaster of the classic "MacGyver"-Series good be a could sign.

RedAlert likes this.
  11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Rear Admiral Commodore

With new Trek on the way that might also inspire them to get DS9 and Voyager on blu-ray. I assume they are going to be expecting a increase interest in all things that is Trek.

Jason

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Question is cost. Can new techniques and more updated technology allow them to do DS9 and VOY at a much lower cost then TNG? I feel that both series will eventually be upgraded to HD its just a matter of when.

DS9forever and RedAlert like this.
  13. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

If it were to happen, I can only hope that for the series finale, we lose the conspicuous clip show in the middle of the battle for entirely new footage. :D

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Possibly, but the new techniques and updated technology might mean waiting for AI to do most of it autonomously.

In which case, physical media like Blurays probably won't exist by then.

15. kkt

kkt Captain Captain

If they were going to revise the finale, they should get Terry Farrell's permission to use some existing clips of her in Worf's flashbacks. To be honest, I never noticed the reused battle footage until I read about it here, and I still don't mind much. Besides, reusing existing Farrell images would be way cheaper than making brand new battle shots.

dub likes this.
  16. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

If they ever do it and do any revising, they should also replace the shots of characters from scenes they should not remember. (Jake during The Visitor, Worf in Our Man Bashir.)

17. kkt

kkt Captain Captain

And that would give them the time to put in a few shots of Jadzia without changing the length of the finale :)