Spoilers Does anyone else think the Titan-A was... (SPOILER)

The legendary status of the Enterprise was built on the endeavors of her original crew. That legacy was passed down to successive ships and came to represent the best of Starfleet - both in crew and technological capability.

Other ships would go on to forge their own legacy, with their names being passed down across the generations. After Fronter Day, the name Titan should have proudly entered the history books alongside the greats and gone on to forge her own legacy.

Instead, Matalas couldn't resist one final, ill-conceived bit of fan wank.

I'm not a fan of it. It's completely the wrong type of vessel for a Enterprise. They are usually heavy Cruisers. This is a light one.

The legendary status of the Enterprise was built on the endeavors of her original crew. That legacy was passed down to successive ships and came to represent the best of Starfleet - both in crew and technological capability.

Other ships would go on to forge their own legacy, with their names being passed down across the generations. After Fronter Day, the name Titan should have proudly entered the history books alongside the greats and gone on to forge her own legacy.

Instead, Matalas couldn't resist one final, ill-conceived bit of fan wank.
100% this^
Also not only the current Titan crew. It's an A for a reason. .. Past Titan ships have also distinguished themselves..

Renaming the Titan wasn’t the best idea. No reason the new Big E couldn’t just be the Titans identical sister ship.

that said there are worse things…like the Enterprise F.

Not really. Like the audience thinks the Enterprise should be special and in-universe it sometimes is but sometimes it's just a ship. I got a kick out in Shatner's novel "The Return" where for a special mission they rename the Defiant-class Monitor into the Enterprise.
I see why they renamed it but I think they should have just kept it the Titan-A but that's also how I feel about the Sao Paulo becoming Defiant.

I’m just under the strong opinion that the Enterprise should have at least lights, at a minimum. :)

Regardless of the issue of (needlessly) renaming an existing vessel, I don’t get why the Enterprise would or should be a design I’d starship that is in-universe 150 years out of date… Kirk’s Movie-era Enterprise with some notches taken out of the rear of the saucer; yeah, that makes total sense for post-TNG/DS9/VOY time frame. :rolleyes:

Regardless of the issue of (needlessly) renaming an existing vessel, I don’t get why the Enterprise would or should be a design I’d starship that is in-universe 150 years out of date… Kirk’s Movie-era Enterprise with some notches taken out of the rear of the saucer; yeah, that makes total sense for post-TNG/DS9/VOY time frame. :rolleyes:

The Constitution III class is six years old as of 2402. It is not 150 years out of date.

He means the look of it. I’m just going that the designer was going through a retro phase. :)

I think this is a weird ship to be the Enterprise-G, but I'm not going to get too up-in-arms about it.

Based on what I've heard from Terry Matalas in interviews and on podcasts, it seems like he starts off with how he wants things to end up, and then he works backwards to figure out how it would all lead up to that. He doesn't plot forward, he plots backward.

In this case, he most likely figured, "I want to the Enterprise-G to be a Constitution Class Starship!" Then he probably realized, "But Starfleet only likes to make the most advanced class ships the Enterprise!" Which led him to, "But what if there's a pre-existing ship that does something so impressive that Starfleet re-names this ship Enterprise in honor of her? That's it! That's what I'll do!" Which in turn led him to, "But what do I do about the other Enterprises? What do I do about the E from the TNG Movies or the F from Star Trek Online that everyone treats as semi-canon?" And on and on. So it's more like an equation than something that grows organically.

The Enterprise-A was hardly a top of the line vessel.
I don't count the A. It was intended to be a replacement for Kirk's ship and everyone knew it. In-Universe and out. It was a Reset Button from the Enterprise's destruction in TSFS. In-story, it was to reward Kirk for saving the day by giving him what he wanted.

The G is another case where, if I'm right, they also had to come up with a story reason.

Without a story reason, the default seems to be that the Enterprise would normally be one of the most advanced starships in the fleet at the time of its commissioning. That's the way it was with the NX-01, the 1701, the B, C, D, E, and F. The only two that are different are the A and the G.

All that having been said: yeah, I think it's fair to criticize renaming the Titan-A to the Enterprise-G as something which diminishes the Titan's legacy. I won't argue with that.

Last edited:
The only way it makes sense for the ‘current’ Enterprise to be an ancient ship design is if the disastrous events on Frontier Day put Starfleet back decade or centuries in terms of ship capacity and readily available technology.

I believe that the Titan was never meant to be renamed Enterprise. I think that this was a last minute change. I mean, why would they undo the legacy of the previous Titan ships in such a disrespectful fashion? I am guessing that the ships of the Titan legacy line have now been discontinued? I wonder how Riker would feel about this? Would he be annoyed?

Is it possible that a Titan spin-off series was already rejected by the network, so one last Legacy was left by the Picard production team leaving us with a brand new Enterprise. There is a no greater legacy within Star Trek for both writers and designers than creating a new Enterprise - the *ultimate* Star Trek hero ship.

Here is my fan-fic reaction of Captain Riker upon hearing about the Titan name change:

Captain Riker: “With all due respect, Admiral, the USS Titan has a proud history, and its name should be respected. That ship and her crew accomplished incredible feats both under my command and that of others, and now Starfleet has the audacity to rename her Enterprise? It's an insult to all who served on the Titan, including to the memory of Captain Shaw!”

Admiral Janeway: “Captain Riker, I understand your frustration, and I share your concerns. The USS Titan in all of its guises has had a distinguished career, and it’s name holds a special place in the hearts of many. I assure you that the decision to rename her was not taken lightly and was made after much careful consideration.”

**Admiral Janeway walks to the the replicator and replicates a coffee**

“Computer, coffee, black, hot.”

Captain Riker: “That ‘ship’ was a symbol of strength, perseverance and unity. Renaming her is not only disrespectful it's a blatant disregard for her legacy and lineage. The Titan was a ship that inspired confidence within the fleet and instilled fear in to our enemies, that gave hope to those in need…. championing for the just whilst helping to chart new frontiers, going boldly ‘out there’.

**Captain Riker performs the ‘Riker manoeuvre’, placing one leg on to a chair, leaning in towards Janeway**

To take away her name is to diminish all that she and those who served aboard her stood for. The crew of the Titan deserves better than this. We earned the right to carry that name with pride, and it's not something that can so easily be erased with the stroke of a pen. This decision is unacceptable, and I won't stand for it.”

**A pause, Janeway takes a sip of her coffee as Riker looks on**

Admiral Janeway
: “The Enterprise has a long and storied history as you more than anyone are very much aware of Captain, Enterprise is a symbol of excellence and exploration. I’m sure that you wanted to command her yourself one day…

Captain Riker: “Well… if the position is going…”

Admiral Janeway: While the Titan may have been equally impressive in its own right, it is understandable that some may feel that renaming it to the Enterprise is not fitting. That being said, we must also remember that names are just labels and what truly matters is the legacy of the ship and her crew.

Captain Riker: “Absolutely, Admiral. What is a ship if it is not for her crew…. and her Captain.”

**Riker smiles at Janeway, a wanting twinkle in his eyes… a hunger for command, for the Enterprise.**

Admiral Janeway: “I have no doubt that the USS Titan, now known as the USS Enterprise, will continue to uphold the highest standards of Starfleet and honour the legacy of her predecessors. Let us focus on the future and the great things this ship and her crew will accomplish rather than dwell on the name.

**A pause**

Seven of Nine has been appointed as Captain of the Enterprise.

**An awkward silence. Janeway eventually taps her comm badge, Riker’s heart is visibly broken**

Janeway to Captain Seven.”

Seven of Nine: “Yes Admiral”

Admiral Janeway: “The Enterprise is yours. Take her… out there.”

Seven of Nine: “Ensign Laforge, let’s go.”

Ensign Laforge: “…boldly, sir.”

**The Enterprise warps off**

Captain Riker: “Now just wait a god damned minute!”

**Captain Janeway smirks, sips her coffee and breaks the fourth wall, winking at the audience through the camera.**

:D
I refuse to write any more fan-fic, I am now on strike in consolidation with the Writers Guild of America! :p
A3F84196-6206-45DA-9069-5D225B1BE4DA.jpeg

I believe that the Titan was never meant to be renamed Enterprise. I think that this was a last minute change. I mean, why would they undo the legacy of the previous Titan ships in such a disrespectful fashion? I am guessing that the ships of the Titan legacy line have now been discontinued? I wonder how Riker would feel about this? Would he be annoyed?

Is it possible that a Titan spin-off series was already rejected by the network, so one last Legacy was left by the Picard production team leaving us with a brand new Enterprise. There is a no greater legacy within Star Trek for both writers and designers than creating a new Enterprise - the *ultimate* Star Trek hero ship.

Here is my fan-fic reaction of Captain Riker upon hearing about the Titan name change:

Captain Riker: “With all due respect, Admiral, the USS Titan has a proud history, and its name should be respected. That ship and her crew accomplished incredible feats both under my command and that of others, and now Starfleet has the audacity to rename her Enterprise? It's an insult to all who served on the Titan, including to the memory of Captain Shaw!”

Admiral Janeway: “Captain Riker, I understand your frustration, and I share your concerns. The USS Titan in all of its guises has had a distinguished career, and it’s name holds a special place in the hearts of many. I assure you that the decision to rename her was not taken lightly and was made after much careful consideration.”

**Admiral Janeway walks to the the replicator and replicates a coffee**

“Computer, coffee, black, hot.”

Captain Riker: “That ‘ship’ was a symbol of strength, perseverance and unity. Renaming her is not only disrespectful it's a blatant disregard for her legacy and lineage. The Titan was a ship that inspired confidence within the fleet and instilled fear in to our enemies, that gave hope to those in need…. championing for the just whilst helping to chart new frontiers, going boldly ‘out there’.

**Captain Riker performs the ‘Riker manoeuvre’, placing one leg on to a chair, leaning in towards Janeway**

To take away her name is to diminish all that she and those who served aboard her stood for. The crew of the Titan deserves better than this. We earned the right to carry that name with pride, and it's not something that can so easily be erased with the stroke of a pen. This decision is unacceptable, and I won't stand for it.”

**A pause, Janeway takes a sip of her coffee as Riker looks on**

Admiral Janeway
: “The Enterprise has a long and storied history as you more than anyone are very much aware of Captain, Enterprise is a symbol of excellence and exploration. I’m sure that you wanted to command her yourself one day…

Captain Riker: “Well… if the position is going…”

Admiral Janeway: While the Titan may have been equally impressive in its own right, it is understandable that some may feel that renaming it to the Enterprise is not fitting. That being said, we must also remember that names are just labels and what truly matters is the legacy of the ship and her crew.

Captain Riker: “Absolutely, Admiral. What is a ship if it is not for her crew…. and her Captain.”

**Riker smiles at Janeway, a wanting twinkle in his eyes… a hunger for command, for the Enterprise.**

Admiral Janeway: “I have no doubt that the USS Titan, now known as the USS Enterprise, will continue to uphold the highest standards of Starfleet and honour the legacy of her predecessors. Let us focus on the future and the great things this ship and her crew will accomplish rather than dwell on the name.

**A pause**

Seven of Nine has been appointed as Captain of the Enterprise.

**An awkward silence. Janeway eventually taps her comm badge, Riker’s heart is visibly broken**

Janeway to Captain Seven.”

Seven of Nine: “Yes Admiral”

Admiral Janeway: “The Enterprise is yours. Take her… out there.”

Seven of Nine: “Ensign Laforge, let’s go.”

Ensign Laforge: “…boldly, sir.”

**The Enterprise warps off**

Captain Riker: “Now just wait a god damned minute!”

**Captain Janeway smirks, sips her coffee and breaks the fourth wall, winking at the audience through the camera.**

:D
I refuse to write any more fan-fic, I am now on strike in consolidation with the Writers Guild of America! :p
View attachment 34215

You do understand that the Writer's Strike isn't a joke, right? I mean, it's not fucking funny at all?

Back