Discovery Renewed for Season 5

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by JoaquinSlowly, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Walked into that one. I'll give it you. :beer:

SJGardner likes this.
  2. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

See, like, and I say this and I’m not even against full-blown evil characters and factions in my entertainment. Look at most of the villains in The Wheel of Time, for example, or Ramsey Bolton from ASOIAF. Or, hell, endgame Dukat in DS9! I even like him!

But I don’t understand how true evil is less boring than the more, frankly, Trekkian vibes we got with 10-C. I’ve felt like an alien for most of my life for defending Dukat, you know? “He was so boring after early season 6. He was just cartoonishly evil.”

What am I missing here? How would a diabolical race of beings not be maligned in the fandom as another caricature?

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Give them a name like The Scourge or The Diabolicons too. So they KNOW they're evil and doing bad:lol:

And then we meet them and they're just Reavers again.

Quinton and Turtletrekker like this.
  4. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commodore Commodore

I thought one of the very first clichés Roddenberry wanted Star Trek to discard was the idea of any alien as 'evil'?

Star Trek has a good track record of being better than that.

5. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even the three main Klingon villains from TOS eventually became loveable good guys! And the first Romulan villain was a man that could've called Kirk friend in another life. Then there was the Gorn...

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Stealer of all the cookies in time and space Premium Member

Gelatinous creature who eats anything organic after accidentally coming onto the main Federation base and can't be killed by conventional means and due to unforeseen event with transporters now is in several places eating and growing.

Quinton and jackoverfull like this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about a telepathic being which spams everyone in range with constant amazing orgasms? And then just kinda glides in and takes over.

They're never gonna let me write Star Trek, are they?

8. SJGardner

SJGardner Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not gonna lie, that actually sounds like something Gene would've written. Or at least would've approved of.

9. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Premium Member

It sounds like a plot for a TNG season 1 episode :lol: (I mean let's not forget that literally the second episode of the show is basically "a virus makes everyone sweaty and horny")

10. Gingerbread Demon

Yep and Data got it on with Tasha showing how functional he was.

Did the crew of Kirk's Enterprise also get horny with this same thing?

SJGardner and jackoverfull like this.
  11. Gingerbread Demon

Yeah the scene with the viceroy..... Deanna is badass. Howcome she didn't show those powers off in TNG

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Maybe the Orville?

jackoverfull and F. King Daniel like this.
  13. Gingerbread Demon

I can't wait for all the youtubes from all the usual suspects

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

so do we think Discovery Season 5 will be the last season? I mean Picard is ending next year and plus we'll have plenty of Star Trek to keep us occupied. (Prodigy, SNW, and Lower Decks). I would love for it to end after Season 5, give it five seasons and a six year run.

15. Lord Garth

Prodigy, SNW, and Lower Decks don't amount to 52 weeks. And with Picard ending, no I don't think Discovery's fifth season will be the last. It'll get a sixth season, while some other spin-off will be introduced to replace Picard. Then, because they'll have six, they'll say "screw it!" and go seven. Then it'll end.

If the fifth season were to be the last, they would've said so upfront.

As far as other series to "keep us occupied":
    Prodigy --> As much as I like it, it's a kids' show.
    Lower Decks --> They take what would've been B-plots from TNG/DS9/VOY and turn them into A-plots. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not a "main series".
    Strange New Worlds --> This series has "Back to Basics" written all over it. Not everyone is as excited about "Back to Basics".

The gap they'll have to fill is a live-action series that's not "Back to Basics". Right now, without Picard, that's still Discovery.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    MrPicard likes this.
  16. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Premium Member

My guess is that we'll be getting another series set in the 25th century (maybe a PIC spin-off, maybe not). Terry Matalas has already said that he'd love to do another series (would make sense for them to ask him to helm such a show IMO) AND he thinks of the 25th century as "current era of Trek" and it seems to be his favorite sandbox to play in, so... another 25th century series seems like the logical thing to do (pun fully intended), especially since this era remains one of (if not THE) most popular era with the fandom.

jackoverfull and Lord Garth like this.
  17. Lord Garth

Makes sense that they'd think of the 23rd Century as "The Past", the 24th/25th Century as "The Present", and the 32nd Century as what we've already been calling it: "The Future".

Ray Hardgrit and MrPicard like this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have long held the theory that it will end with the fifth season based mostly on the fact a lot of shows today voluntarily pull their plug after their fifth seasons. That said, it doesn't really feel like the show's coming to an end anytime soon, and with Picard ending anyway, they may just decide to give Disco another year, just to keep an "old guard" show around.

I guess we'll know one way or another a year from now.

19. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn’t Discovery get renewed for a 5th and 6th season? Meaning the question that should be asked is if the 6th season is the last season?

20. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Commander Red Shirt

I don't think it's officially renewed for a 6th season.