Discovery ending with Season 5

SNW has to end with Kirk being in command of the Enterprise and Pike being an invalid. It's a prequel with a pre-determined course. The only wiggle room they have is we don't know what happens with Pike once he's on Talos IV.

Why is it we hardly ever hear of MALE "Mary Sues"? For some reason, they're usually women.

Is competence considered to be so rare in a woman that its presence is to be seen as noteworthy? :confused:
Because you don't know where to look to hear it?

They are called Marty Stu's.

Define "Mary Sue".
There isn't a set definition, but there are a list of criteria for a character being one.

Definition of "Mary Sue":
Actually you want TV tropes not Wikipedia for this one.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

SNW has to end with Kirk being in command of the Enterprise and Pike being an invalid. It's a prequel with a pre-determined course. The only wiggle room they have is we don't know what happens with Pike once he's on Talos IV.

Exactly. And I can even see CBS speeding up that promotion, in lieu of whatever original plans they had for the show.

Exactly. And I can even see CBS speeding up that promotion, in lieu of whatever original plans they had for the show.
I do like that they've taken steps to show why Number One doesn't end up in command of the Enterprise. On the surface, not knowing what happens next, it looks like Number One should be Captain if something happens to Pike. For decades, I always thought that Number One was simply offered a command of her own.

I do like that they've taken steps to show why Number One doesn't end up in command of the Enterprise. On the surface, not knowing what happens next, it looks like Number One should be Captain if something happens to Pike. For decades, I always thought that Number One was simply offered a command of her own.

Oh I'm sure they'll get her out of whatever trouble she's in. But I doubt she'll be returning to the Enterprise.

Same with PIC. There's no reason why they'd need to continue on with a fourth season, as we're getting Picard and his former crew's denouement now. Any fourth season would just be a restructuring like they already did after the second season. You might as well just make a new show.
Well there is the fact that at the show's inception Patrick Stewart agreed to do 3 seasons ONLY. The point being that given that constraint, if they ever were going to do a TNG reunion of sorts S3 was the only/last opportunity to do so in PICARD.

The fourth season is my favorite season of DSC, but the way it ends, I think the series could've stopped right there and I'd have been fine with it.

I'm pretty much the opposite about season 4. In spite of how messy they were, I enjoyed season 1 and 2 far more than 3 and 4. For me, it felt like once they got to the more distant future, the writers really struggled with the world building. In addition, once the Disco crew finally meets the season long threats in 3&4, they felt very disappointing. In S3 we learn that the source of all the problems crippling the galaxy is a sad Kelpien, and in S4, it's an alien entity on with a glorified Roomba.

For these reasons, while I actually like the cast and characters of Discovery, I met the announcement of its end with a *meh.* I'm a little sad to see it go, but far more concerned with what the cancellation of Discovery might mean for the future of Trek within Paramount's vision than I am about the show itself.

Not a Mary Sue.

I feel that there is so much defensiveness about Burnham being called a Mary Sue because there are negative connotations about Mary Sue. Even though I actually like Burnham is S3 & S4. I’m just calling it how I see it.

I really don’t get how anyone can argue that Burnham isn’t flawed, when the entire series begins with a series of fuck-ups bad enough to start a war and get her sent to space-jail.

A fuck up that came about because Burnham did not want her captain fucking up.

Please do give more supporting detail, because I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

If you are so confused with my posts, then stick to posts you can understand. Even though there’s nothing incoherent about mine.

If you don't like my use of fuck for emphasis (not authority), you can fucking die mad about it. :bolian:

I watch Star Trek: Discovery. You either do not, or you do and do not understand what you are watching, or you do and you are being intentionally dishonest in your description of its events.

I’m not mad about it. I don’t care if every second word in your post is fuck. Just pointing out that attempts to project authority over me are lame. And historically never go the way intended with me.

And I do watch Discovery, and comprehend what I’m watching more that you realize.

I feel that there is so much defensiveness about Burnham being called a Mary Sue because there are negative connotations about Mary Sue.
No. There is defensiveness because she doesn't fit the definition. Seeing as how my wife writes fan fiction and has read and studied about Mary Sue's I feel more than confident in my stance on this.

People can hate Burnham all they want, or make negative discussions about her. She still presents as a protagonist, does things exactly like past captains, and does not deserve the hate the way she gets.

Re: "Mary Sue", the whole concept was never even intended to apply to all of media. It was a fanfic concept--ironically, in Star Trek fandom specifically--that began because of the 70s zine trend of people writing in original characters that interacted with the crew, being the bestest of the best and having a snog with Spock. Given the overwhelming amount of first gen fans were women, it's also not a surprise most of said OCs were also women.

I wouldn't consider a character that had to rebuild her life from the ground up due to mistakes that she made and fight to earn the respect of her peers to be a Sue, but that's just me.

Re: "Mary Sue", the whole concept was never even intended to apply to all of media. It was a fanfic concept--ironically, in Star Trek fandom specifically--that began because of the 70s zine trend of people writing in original characters that interacted with the crew, being the bestest of the best and having a snog with Spock. Given the overwhelming amount of first gen fans were women, it's also not a surprise most of said OCs were also women.

I wouldn't consider a character that had to rebuild her life from the ground up due to mistakes that she made and fight to earn the respect of her peers to be a Sue, but that's just me.

Simon Pegg has pointed out that Star Wars has a racist fandom. And I agree, but with a little sexism thrown in for good measure. In the case of Star Trek, I believe a good deal of its fandom is sexist, but with a little racism thrown in for good measure. Certain Trek fans will be bitching and moaning about Michael Burnham and Kathryn Janeway for years to come, as long as bigotry exists within the pop culture fandom.

Back