Discovery ending with Season 5

No one -- I didn't claim anyone had had. But Kurtzman cast Michelle Yeoh in Star Trek: Discovery, and she just became the first actor with a major Star Trek role to subsequently win an Academy Award for a leading film role last night. That's huge. The only other major Star Trek actors to go on to win an Oscar are Whoopi Goldberg in 1990 for Ghost and Christopher Plummer in 2012 for Beginners; both were for supporting roles, not lead roles. And neither of their Star Trek roles were as big as Yeoh's.

Bottom line is, Kurtzman has made Star Trek a part of the mainstream pop culture landscape, which is something Berman never accomplished.

Discovery is not mainstream. Lol

Bottom line is, Kurtzman has made Star Trek a part of the mainstream pop culture landscape, which is something Berman never accomplished.
I wouldn't say that, TNG was popular enough in it's day to get Patrick Stewart named "sexiest man on TV" in 1992. It just never had the lasting impact that TOS did.

People. It's okay to hit the "ignore" button to obvious trolls and contrarians so that we can at least get back to a more meaningful discussion.

Example. Do we think a Section 31 spinoff would be possible without Yeoh may be too in-demand? Or did the success seem to mostly circle around her involvement?

People. It's okay to hit the "ignore" button to obvious trolls and contrarians so that we can at least get back to a more meaningful discussion.

Example. Do we think a Section 31 spinoff would be possible without Yeoh may be too in-demand? Or did the success seem to mostly circle around her involvement?
I think they could've done it without Yeoh, except I also think we're too far removed from DSC Season 2 now. It's been coming up on four years. You have to strike while the iron is hot or forget it.

If they do it with Yeoh, I think they have to do it in such a way so that anyone who's never seen DSC or any of the other series could pick up on what the show's about immediately. I'm guessing that there would be a lot of people watching Section 31 who would be Michelle Yeoh fans and not necessarily Star Trek fans. I think it would have a broader audience if they promoted it as a Michelle Yeoh series first and a Star Trek series a distant second. It's fine to shed some of (or a lot of) the Trekkie audience (along with the baggage it brings) if they can replace it with a Yeoh audience.

They have to not be afraid of pissing off people here or places like here. They weren't afraid of that during DSC Season 1 or (to a lesser extent) PIC Season 1. That doesn't seem to be their attitude anymore. Now they're trying to bend over backwards. If that's their way of thinking, I'd rather they not do a Section 31 series. If they bend over backwards to make a show to satisfy a group of people who won't be satisfied no matter what, they'll bend over so far backwards that they'll be making a show they don't even really believe in. Then no one will be satisfied. You have to make a show that you know people who'd like it would like and ignore the people who wouldn't like it no matter what; and have the courage to tell them, "This show isn't for you! Watch something else!"

Last edited:
IIRC the two writers who wanted to do the Section 31 show (Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt) have left Discovery and are no longer even associated with Trek.

If they are gone, and Yeoh is now ungettable, why bother? Particularly because honestly Discovery repeatedly showed Section 31 in the wrong light, completely subverting the spirit of the original idea from DS9.

IIRC the two writers who wanted to do the Section 31 show (Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt) have left Discovery and are no longer even associated with Trek.

If they are gone, and Yeoh is now ungettable, why bother? Particularly because honestly Discovery repeatedly showed Section 31 in the wrong light, completely subverting the spirit of the original idea from DS9.

They were originally the ones developing it / were going to be the showrunners. They've moved on to SweetTooth on Netflix and other projects. That doesn't mean Kurtzman couldn't hire other showrunners though to do something different from what Yeon and Erika would have....or to use their ideas as a basis. I mean Discovery and Picard have all gone through showrunner changes while in production.

I'm only concerned about the quality of Trek. If a stinker show is going to be cancelled I am all for it. I'd Paramount decides to cancel the rest so be it. I'll be sad but ill be also happy that a bad trek is no longer causing damage to the franchise. I can wait if it takes a few years for more quality trek.

You mean "if a show i dont like gets cancelled im happy". You're not the sole arbiter of what makes a show a "stinker". And Trek shows getting cancelled just makes it less likely we'll see other shows, not more likely we'll see a show you may happen to like.

Back