Discovery ending with Season 5

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by The Habs Fan, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Discovery is not mainstream. Lol

2. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't say that, TNG was popular enough in it's day to get Patrick Stewart named "sexiest man on TV" in 1992. It just never had the lasting impact that TOS did.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of their actors just won an Oscar. It's mainstream.

Jedman67 and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'd be idiots to do that though, he's made them a ton of money.

Kzinti, fireproof78 and SJGardner like this.
  5. Pubert

Yeah? How much did he make them?

6. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People. It's okay to hit the "ignore" button to obvious trolls and contrarians so that we can at least get back to a more meaningful discussion.

Example. Do we think a Section 31 spinoff would be possible without Yeoh may be too in-demand? Or did the success seem to mostly circle around her involvement?

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, it can succeed without Yeoh.

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

So hang on Pubert you wanted the show canceled and yet when people disagree with you you want sympathy..

Kzinti, Sci and Richard S. Ta like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enough to make 5 TV series

Commander Troi, Kzinti and Jedman67 like this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I think they could've done it without Yeoh, except I also think we're too far removed from DSC Season 2 now. It's been coming up on four years. You have to strike while the iron is hot or forget it.

If they do it with Yeoh, I think they have to do it in such a way so that anyone who's never seen DSC or any of the other series could pick up on what the show's about immediately. I'm guessing that there would be a lot of people watching Section 31 who would be Michelle Yeoh fans and not necessarily Star Trek fans. I think it would have a broader audience if they promoted it as a Michelle Yeoh series first and a Star Trek series a distant second. It's fine to shed some of (or a lot of) the Trekkie audience (along with the baggage it brings) if they can replace it with a Yeoh audience.

They have to not be afraid of pissing off people here or places like here. They weren't afraid of that during DSC Season 1 or (to a lesser extent) PIC Season 1. That doesn't seem to be their attitude anymore. Now they're trying to bend over backwards. If that's their way of thinking, I'd rather they not do a Section 31 series. If they bend over backwards to make a show to satisfy a group of people who won't be satisfied no matter what, they'll bend over so far backwards that they'll be making a show they don't even really believe in. Then no one will be satisfied. You have to make a show that you know people who'd like it would like and ignore the people who wouldn't like it no matter what; and have the courage to tell them, "This show isn't for you! Watch something else!"

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  11. Pubert

Uh yeeeah. :rolleyes: Oookay.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Here's a question: If you hate DSC so much, why are you still here?

13. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC the two writers who wanted to do the Section 31 show (Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt) have left Discovery and are no longer even associated with Trek.

If they are gone, and Yeoh is now ungettable, why bother? Particularly because honestly Discovery repeatedly showed Section 31 in the wrong light, completely subverting the spirit of the original idea from DS9.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's interesting.

15. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They are still here to complain of course.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  16. gvn2fly

They were originally the ones developing it / were going to be the showrunners. They've moved on to SweetTooth on Netflix and other projects. That doesn't mean Kurtzman couldn't hire other showrunners though to do something different from what Yeon and Erika would have....or to use their ideas as a basis. I mean Discovery and Picard have all gone through showrunner changes while in production.

17. gvn2fly

People have been saying that since 2017.

18. gvn2fly

And enough to extend his contract a few years ago.

Kzinti and Richard S. Ta like this.
  19. gvn2fly

Comment makes no sense. So many great shows don't resemble Star Trek at all..What does resembling star trek shows from the 90s have to do with it being a good or successful show?

20. gvn2fly

You mean "if a show i dont like gets cancelled im happy". You're not the sole arbiter of what makes a show a "stinker". And Trek shows getting cancelled just makes it less likely we'll see other shows, not more likely we'll see a show you may happen to like.