Spoilers Did Picard finally ''right the ship'' with Picard season 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by The Overlord, Feb 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FWIW, if YouTube videos have captions turned on, you can run the video through the YouTubeTranscript site and then search for keywords. Find any interesting parts and even play from that time index. Saves a lot of time. And sometimes good spoilers and interviews.

Ok, that's an interesting data point. Will keep that in mind when the season 3 numbers come out.

Unfortunately for season 2, the guy responsible for that episode went off to develop season 3.

That's a fair point. The story probably does need a few episodes to build up. But also releasing 6-10 episodes can demonstrate if the season is holding up or decreasing in quality. And it did garner very positive reviews, so that's an optimistic sign.

Danja likes this.
  2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, this is the whole problem with fans pretending that they're doing "analysis" based on data. The data is either misunderstood or fabricated - or fabricated and misrepresented by the clickbait artist and then misunderstood by fans who think they've learned something.

3. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

These people have been predicting Disco's cancellation for the past four seasons (we're now on Season 5).

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

You people who hate Alex Kurtzman are stuck with him until 2027. At least.

Turtletrekker and Richard S. Ta like this.
  5. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me, I don't think ANY Trek season has been great since DS9 S5/6.

TOS1. TNG 3-5. Maybe 6. DS9 4-6, maybe 3. That would be my list.

VOY4 and ENT4 were, for my money, as good as those shows got. Good. With a great ep here or there. But not consistently great.

SNW1 and all of LD/PRO have been VERY good. IDK if I'd call them great. But that is the best of NuTrek in my view.

I liked Disco1 just fine. Though Mirror Universe made it less interesting. And as frustrated as I got at times with S3's ending and other facets of the show, the end of S2 was the WORST. I really liked the first half. A lot.

But I will admit, I like episodic MUCH more than serial. An episode with resolution is almost always gonna be more satisfying for me.

6. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    The only analysis/statistic I need is whether or not I can watch an episode more than twice and still enjoy it.
    Fifty-seven years later and that hasn't failed me yet, I've watched every episode/movie more than twice.

antinoos, fireproof78 and Lord Garth like this.
  7. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

The first three eps set up the remaining seven.

They may have released the six eps to quell concerns about the show dipping in quality in the middle (a S2 complaint).

Uhura's Song likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have found footage of this "righting the ship" phenomenon:

Danja likes this.
  9. cal888

YouTuber gets the first six episodes. No idea how this will end, but these are good. But you know how PICARD has dropped before.

A few days later YouTuber comes back, they gave him the rest of the episodes, they really did stick the landing!

10. TerryTrek

TerryTrek Captain Captain

Yes it did.

I trust the people who have seen the full 10 episodes and are praising them.

First time in decades where Trek fans should get hyped : )

11. fireproof78

When episode 10 airs I'll be hyped.

Farscape One, Richard S. Ta and Danja like this.
  12. TerryTrek

Fair.

I totally understand why anyone would be skeptical at this point.

Looking forward to the weeks ahead.

Richard S. Ta, cal888 and Danja like this.
  13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got hyped for Lower Decks Season 3 and the second half return of Prodigy. Let's not crap over all modern trek to lift up a Trek season that just started.

14. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

There’s some really good Trek out there. There’s some crap too. But that’s been the case since 1966.

15. TerryTrek

It did indeed just start.

Let's see how the next weeks play out. From what I've heard about Episode 9/10, I think the Trek fans will be incredibly pleased with what they've put together here. We'll be getting things that many 90s era Trek fans have been waiting decades for.

cal888 likes this.
  16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

When people say, "I don't like any Star Trek after 2005," I don't agree with them, but I can understand them.

When people say, "I don't like any Star Trek after 2005 except for Picard Season 3," all I have to say is: It's the same Star Trek it was before, they just threw in some more '80s and '90s stuff to make the pill easier to swallow! If you like PIC Season 3, there's no reason not to like DSC, SNW, or the rest of PIC other than stupid hangups. It's not that different from what else has come out recently.

So if you like PIC Season 3, great. Go back and look at the other stuff. This time with an open mind!

Uhura's Song and Danja like this.
  17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the thing though. I am a 90s Trek fan and there were aspects of both Prodigy and Lower Decks that have scratched that itch recently. The DS9 episode of Lower Decks, was a nice example. I think it could have been written better as a story, but I enjoyed getting Kira and Quark back, and seeing an animated version of the Wormhole. There was also the season premiere of Season 3 of Lower Decks, where I actually got to talk to Tawny Newsome personally and just thanked her for that episode as it really did scratch the 90s trek itch. I consider Prodigy a spiritual sequel to Voyager despite it being more of a kids show. It is close to a continuation to that story we have seen, and I look forward to the new season and finding out more about Chakotay and having the real Janeway back.

I am looking forward to how this season of Picard is going to develop, despite maybe having less than giddy enthusiasm like what I've seen elsewhere. I'm just not going to crap over other things I've liked since 2009 for this new season because it's dishonest. Maybe other people feel differently, but when I see someone say this is going to be the first time in decades that 90s trek fans can get hyped for Star Trek, I know that it's not true.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    Lord Garth and Danja like this.
  18. TerryTrek

Fair. Though, as you know, there are some Trek fans who want more than a cartoon 'comedy'/spoof.

I hope Picard S3 makes happy those who have had valid criticism with the last several years of Nu Trek. I'm loving the reactions to 3x01, and the best is yet to come.

cal888 and tomalak301 like this.
  19. cal888

&
    Exactly! Move forward in the TNG/DS9/VGR time period. There are so many storylines that could be followed up now with greater budgets and serialization in live action. Yes, there are elements to enjoy with both PRODIGY and LOWER DECKS. But both are animated, and each suffer from structural limitations from their formats. PICARD is live action with many main characters returning. So it would have a much higher potential hype level.

Let's say PRODIGY was live action and targeted at a general audience... and had most of the VGR characters back. Much more potential hype.

Would be interesting to revisit this after the third season has completely aired.

20. fireproof78

Exactly. It comes across as completely disingenuous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.