Spoilers Captain America: Civil War - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Apr 27, 2016.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

24.4%
  2. A

36.3%
  3. A-

13.1%
  4. B+

11.3%
  5. B

6.9%
  6. B-

4.4%
  7. C+

1.9%
  8. C

0.6%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course not. While I might miss things (who doesn't?), I don't imply that I have seen a film, or discuss a film as if I have seen it, when I haven't.

I was speaking to the fact that at the end of the film Zemo asked his interviewer rhetorically whether his plan had in fact failed, thus alluding to the notion that there might be more to his plan to play out in subsequent films. But then, I mentioned that already. My use of the word "ultimate" was intended to refer to what Zemo suggested was yet unrealized about his plan.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I didn't see it that way and i guess Zemo's storyline has concluded because he achieved at least part of his goals. The next movie with the entire cast will be the Infinity Wars Two Parter in 2018 and i guess the movies in between ( Dr. Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Black Panther) won't touch too much on the state of affairs of the team as they have their own stories to tell (maybe a line or two here and there).

The next movie will be the huge two parter and they already laid the groundwork of them reconciling somehow and Thanos might just be the huge villain to bring them back together again but i don't see Zemo playing a part of it in any way.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America:_Civil_War#Cast:

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want to see Zemo and Hawkeye high-5 one day while crowing "Eskimo Buddies!"

(I really don't see Karla staying around that long after everything turned to turd soup, if she wasn't getting a little Hemlut.)

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Whereas in the film I don't feel that Tony became a villain. Maybe at the very end, but acting through irrational grief doesn't make you bad, just wrong.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Even if so*, comics are all about retcons. Peter also wasn't born in the '50s any more ;)

"The truth" is only whatever the current decisions makers say it is. Uncle Ben said that "With great power comes great responsibility" even though he really didn't. Spidey grew organic webshooters and wrist spikes, and even though Marvel "sort of" says that that did in fact happen, it was dropped without explanation, never to reappear. Peter Parker isn't the real Spider-Man, Ben Reilly is. But not any more. Norman and Gwen had twins, but not really. Or did they, I forget exactly what happened with all that in the end.

*Or is there a month between issues? (I don't know if they state otherwise explicitly.) Which would mean Peter graduates a little over two years after his spider related accident.

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What Tosk said. I don't even read comics, and I know that 'the canon' of comics is even changing, with new origin stories and relationships between characters are reinvented often. So I don't really care how old Spidey was in whatever version of the many comics that featured some version of Parker, if he's 15 or 16 in this movie, that's how old he is. End of story really.

8. Guy Gardener

Sometimes you think it's young Spider-Man in "The Past" but it just turns out to be a time travelling Deadpool.

Their costumes are WAY too similar.

9. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

You could see that it is a Captain America movie, but they also gave the other cast members screentime.
    A good action film and funny moments too. Always nice to see so many superheroes on screen.

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple of things I could see grow out of this film:

1 - When we see Steve Rogers next, he won't be "Captain America", but maybe just "The Captain". T"Challa will get him a new shiled.

2 - Since Steve left the old shield behind, the goverment will sponsor a new "Captain America" to work with the Avengers, who probably wouldn't make it out of Infinity War I alive. A final scene of the first movie can have Rogers taking his name back.

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I wonder if we'll see the energy shield in future Marvel flicks.

[​IMG]

12. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you been watching Agents Of SHIELD? Seeing how they left Captain Rogers with a patron in Wakanda giving him a law defying shield would probably be used similar to his getting into a throw back uniform.

13. M.A.C.O.

No. I haven't watched AoS in a long time. Good to know though.

14. Guy Gardener

Black Panther made a new Shield for "The Captain" after the US Government fired Steve in the 80s for being to nambypamby.

15. M.A.C.O.

Watch out Peter. Mr. Stark might just become Uncle Tony.

[​IMG]

Mean while, Superman is coping with both his mothers "relationships" with his friend and a known criminal kingpin.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When BvS and CACW hit home video, I'm going to have to go through both with a fine tooth combed. So many similarities.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did they ever actually call Wanda Scarlet Witch in movie itself? The credits called her Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch and so did the promotional stuff, but I don't remember them calling her anything but Wanda in the movie.

17. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the movie, but I thought the interlude with Tony Stark and Spider-man was very odd. In the fight sequence he was fine, and the actor did a good job in the role, but it felt strange how the movie just stopped for five minutes to set up a new character who ended up not impacting the plot of the movie much at all. It kind of reminded me of the way Quicksilver got folded into X-Men Days of Future Past, but that "recruiting" scene didn't seem to kill the momentum of the movie the way it did here. I thought the Black Panther character was introduced in a much more organic and interesting way. That's really my only complaint though, so overall a solid, enjoyable movie.

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enjoyed the film quite a bit (Grade: A) and REALLY liked the way they wrote the Spiderman character in this one (I liked the very first Spiderman by Sony - but all the subsequent sequels/reboot were disappointing.) I went in thinking I'd dislike the inclusion of Spiderman in this film - but LOVED the inclusion instead.

My two favorite Spiderman lines/exchanges (and I don't know if I'm recalling 100% verbatim because I laughed pretty hard when the actor was speaking - but in general ALL the Spiderman banter was good): "

Regarding Cap's shield flying around:
    Spiderman: "That thing does not obey the laws of physics at all!"

and:

Falcon: "I don’t know if you’ve been a fight before but there’s usually not this much talking."

Spiderman: "Alright, sorry, my bad."

(Later Spiderman then webs both Falcon and Winter Soldier to the ground)

Spiderman: "Guys, look. I’d love to keep this up but I’ve only got one job here today and I gotta impress Mr. Stark, so, I’m really sorry."
    :lol:

19. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess is that the first break in action after Lagos which was already too long where recruiting Peter Parker would have made more logical sense than inside of a 36 hour

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think it's a fair bet that Stark already had Peter in mind for recruiting well before the events of the movie, running his own little Avengers Initiative 2.0. Or maybe he just cropped up while FRIDAY was running a global search for any clues as to Banner's whereabouts.
    Either way I think Peter just happened to be the best candidate Stark was sure he could recruit in under 10 minutes.

Makes you wonder who else he might have been tracking (besides a bunch of random nu-Inhumans.) Jessica Jones? Daredevil? Who else do we think might be active at this point?

Grendelsbayne likes this.