Spoilers Captain America: Civil War - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Apr 27, 2016.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

24.4%
  2. A

36.3%
  3. A-

13.1%
  4. B+

11.3%
  5. B

6.9%
  6. B-

4.4%
  7. C+

1.9%
  8. C

0.6%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

To an outside observer, imo, Daredevil looks like a street brawler. He doesn't look like someone with superpowers. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage fit the mold a bit better. But Spidey makes more sense since he can resolve things non-lethally with his webbing.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

TL, DR: Really great movie, but slightly over-hyped. I preferred both Avengers movies.

Like Ultron, there's a lot of stories and characters popping around, and most of them have a solid little story to tell. Spider-Man was great in it for the very brief time he appears; after all the talk and hype I thought he was going to appear a lot more. Ditto for Ant-Man. Black Panther had a solid part in the film.

The action scenes were incredibly well shot and looked amazing. Everything looked so real. This entire movie was "realistic" I'm insanely curious to see what they do with Infinity War, where one can only assume they visit alien worlds and have all sorts of crazy magic/alien stuff.

I did find it structurally odd that the vast cast of Avengers only really appears in the second act and don't participate in the ending. I found it jarring the way Spider-Man and Ant-Man and Hawkeye step into the story cold a full hour into it. Or the way we never see Vision having a scene with War Machine after crippling him. Or the way the Raft suddenly appears with only twenty minutes left in the movie without ever being mentioned before. Or the way Ant-Man gleefully and immediately agrees to become a criminal again after spending an entire movie fighting to go straight and be a role model for his daughter.

The biggest surprise for me was the movie ended with the Avengers fugitives from the law, just like the comics. I really expected a happy ending. I never thought this story would still be running into Infinity War. Very interesting and ballsy.

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A+++++ :p

Better than both Avengers outings, IMO.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Ultron's whole existence was Tony's fault, and bad apples or not, it was SHIELD that almost murdered millions of Americans, including the president. And while it could be argued Loki would have found his way to Earth even if SHIELD hadn't been dicking around with the Tesseract, they did open the door for him.

So, yeah, the pro-oversight people were definitely looking in the right direction when it came to the Avengers.

... Now, the thing that confused me was, why did Wanda agree to fight Vision to get out of the compound? Sure, she was under house arrest, but given the circumstances, that wasn't unreasonable, and blasting Vision down a whole bunch of floors seemed a bit much.

5. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zack Snyder gives the impression making superhero movies are really really reeeeaaaally hard to do. While the Russos and the people at Marvel truly understand how fun, and engaging a superhero film can be... if you'd just make an effort to actually read the source material and find a common ground for an audience.

Captain America: Civil War was another fine example of a great entertaining movie which made me forget how much I paid to see it when I left the theater. Because it didn't matter, it was well worth the price of admission. And you bet your ass, I'm seeing this film again.
    STEPhonmeter: A

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could never team with Stank, most of what is wrong in the world 'today' is because of him.

7. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's what I liked about the film which BvS just didn't have a f^cking clue, by exploring these heroes' ethics and allowing us to understand where they're coming from? There's NOTHING wrong with a noble person having his own code of ethics which he/she feels will help people. I could team with Stark or Rogers.

8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I also think it's fair to say, with no disrespect towards DC, that Marvel has proven repeatedly that it's willing to take more risky efforts that can pay out well in the end if the execution is good. Certainly not every Marvel outing has been perfect, but they've shown with the Avengers movies that they can do pretty decent individual character films and also tie those into good ensemble films. I think DC has the potential to do that in theory, I just don't know how long it might take to reach the level that Marvel has achieved.

I'm planning to see Civil War sometime tomorrow, and looking forward to it since I've heard nothing but good stuff. :cool:

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Captain America: Civil War
    (AKA: Avengers 2.5)

My Grade: A+

-------------------------------------

Marvel's complete and total undefeated streak continues. Seriously, this studio can do no wrong with it's theatrical outings. As mediocre or disappointing as Iron Man 2 and 3 were (esp. with 3's handling of The Mandarin) they were still good, entertaining, movies that were well cast, well acted and had good action scenes. They're, for me, only the "worst" of the MCU movies because something has to be at the bottom.

The Captain America sequels have done a great job of playing a role of a spy/espionage/government-ops thriller. They're both movies where you could remove the super-hero elements (and in the case here adapt it for a more mundane situation) and still be with with a good movie that'd be an intense thriller.

The Russo Brothers, it would seem, can do no wrong. What will it take to put them over in DC's movies?

So, it would seem this is the Summer (or movie season/year) of heroes fighting one another and the consequences of that. The other movie, of course, being Batman v. Superman and, I'm sorry, comparing the two is hard to not do because they're both big-name comic book properties that came out within a month or so of one another and both have fairly similar stories and themes. So it's hard to not compare the two, so that's just what I'm going to do, hopefully, without spoiling either movie.

Civil War starts off with the new group of Avengers (Cap, Black Widow, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Vision, War Machine) trying to prevent a terrorist cell/sect from getting away with a virus in a medical facility that they intent to use as a biological weapon. This sequence mostly is the Bond-movie trope of having an action beat at the beginning to give the impression of these people "always working" but, ultimately, it has little to do with the actual story of the movie. It does tie into some "lose ends" from "Winter Soldier" and the conclusion of the mission has Scarlet Witch using her powers to deflect a grenade from blowing up Cap but she misjudges her powers/the explosion and the grenade goes into a residential building and explodes. killing civilians.

In the aftermath Tony Stark works with the Secretary of State and other government officials to try and mitigate the fallout form the event which is being used as the "final nail in the coffin" following all of the collateral damage caused by The Avengers throughout all of the movies. It seems up until now the Avengers have been operating as a private entity, making their own calls and decisions and are accountable to no one. While "Age of Ultron" implies/tells us that Tony uses Stark Industries to provide relief in areas impacted by The Avengers and a good chunk of the final battle in "Ultron" was The Avengers trying to evacuate the impacted Eastern European town, the international community wants control of The Avengers.

The solution is for The Avengers to operate under the control of an international, UN-like, organization. The Avengers would be told by this group on what missions to take and what missions to not take and would be held accountable to it should something happen. They either sign-on or hang-up their tights.

Captain America shows the most reluctance to doing this, seeing the potential for abuse in it or for them to be too controlled by this council, after wrestling with it he choose not to sign the agreement and is joined by Falcon and Scarlet Witch.

At the official signing/establishing of the accord the building is bombed killing the king of the African nation of Wakanada, ascending his son to the throne, it's found out that the "Winter Soldier" was responsible for the bombing and there's man hunt for him to bring him dead or alive. This is what ultimately pushes Cap off the edge and causes him to go rogue in order to save his old friend, and while he's able to save him another factor comes into play in the form of a man whose family was killed in Sakovia in "Ultron" and he gets his hands on a Hydra book filled with the code-words used to activate the psychological conditioning in Bucky, the man is able to fully set into motion the events that tears the Avengers apart and causes them to battle one another.

Those on Cap's side wanting to protect Bucky, knowing him to be innocent and the victim of the Hydra conditioning, Tony's side trying to stay "in business" and satisfy their now contractual obligation to do the work the governments of the world wants them to do.

Thrown into this mix Black Panther, the Wakandan prince (now king) taking on the role of a protector of his people in the form of a black suit made of a vibranium-laced material with vibranium claws. Ant-man is also eventually recruited as well as the most anticipated addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (that is the movies strictly controlled by Disney/Marvel Studios and not another studio): Spider-Man (recruited by Tony Stark.)

So let's compare this movie to Batman v. Superman.

In this movie a disastrous series of events prompts some to feel that the heroes of the world need to be controlled and held accountable for their actions and for when things go wrong. A big motivator for this is the collateral damage in the battles. A part of it is a personal issue with Tony Stark who has confrontation of a woman whose son was killed in Sakovia during "Ultron."

In BvS a large plot-point is Batman feeling Superman needs to be held accountable for the damage and deaths caused when fought Zod in Man of Steel.

So, both fairly similar. Heroes being judged on the damage they cause while saving the world.

But in the case of CW, the government acknowledges that The Avengers are owed a debt of gratitude from the entire world; so this is about keeping them active but also wanting to make sure there's someone to point to when damage is done and lives are lost. The SoS asks where Thor and Hulk are, pointing out that if he'd lost two nuclear weapons someone would certainly be on his ass about where they went.

In BvS, Batman just hates Superman because of the damage and deaths caused in Metropolis but doesn't ever seem to acknowledge that without Superman's actions there'd be no Metropolis or anyone. Batman is all about the revenge in the name of no real meaningful connection beyond one employee of his, of which he has 1000s of employees. In CW there's a connection that motivates Tony in the form of the picture of the woman's son killed during Ultron. We see how it impacts Tony in his mood and motivates him to do what he feels is right. Sure, plenty of people died and Tony should be aware of it, but there's more of a personal connection here after his encounter with the woman in the hallway.

The connection between Wayne and the employee, and the death of his employees, doesn't seem quite as strong. So, all of Wayne's anger comes from the destruction and deaths caused by Superman while saving the world. Tony's motivations comes from a woman upset from the loss of her son, she may acknowledge the world was saved, but she still lost her son due to the actions of the Avengers and -though she wouldn't know this- it means that much more to Tony because it's his fault Ultron existed to even cause the problems.

So in BvS battle it seems flimsy. Batman's hate for Superman comes from Superman's actions but not tied to any real personal connection and without really acknowledging that had Superman done nothing the world would have ended. The Avengers split and battle for more tangible and understandable reasons, different positions on who should be in control of them and the protection of one man, Bucky.

More-over it's implied they don't want to fight, but the sort-of have to in order for their agendas to come to an end. The Avengers want to capture Bucky and hold him accountable for the deaths he's supposedly caused, Cap feels Bucky is innocent and is set-out to prove that.

Both battles are ultimately orchestrated by a third party, in the case of BvS the motivations of this third party make no sense whatsoever and aren't clearly laid out and actually seem to contradict. In Avengers the third party's motivations make complete and total sense as the story line plays out. His motivations actually have some real sense and heart to it and actually inspires one of our heroes to make a wiser decision than the plan he had.

The battle between the Avengers makes sense and is well established. There's reason and logic to it.
    In BvS it's just "cause we wanna see Superman and Batman fight! Who cares if it makes sense?!"

One battle comes to an end because of a coincidental circumstance, the other battle comes to a soft conclusion but there's still ramifications that'll need to be dealt with in future movies.

Seeing Batman and Superman fight is a "fight" many want to see but it's also a fight that can only happen if you underpower or overpower one of the heroes by some means and it's a fight that can happen and make sense since the two do have different approaches to how their do their jobs. But the way it was done and, in particular ended, makes no sense. Here the lead-up to big fight is well established and it makes sense. Everyone's motivations seem to follow.

There's a big, long, set-piece battle between the two sides that's worth the price of admission alone. This is how to see heroes fight one another. It's done in the open in daylight with colors and the ability to see everything with great action beats, moments of humor and interactions between everyone. By this time Spider-Man is in the fold and makes his trademark quips while fighting the other side.

Speaking of Spider-Man, let's talk about him.

Great. Great. GREAT use of him. This feels like a great version of Spider-Man and it was fantastic to see him use his trademarked mouth during the action scene, and is even called on it by an opponent, and I look forward to his Marvel-handled solo movie. There's some argument to be made he's said to be a bit early in his Spider-career for everything that makes Spider-man, Spider-man to have happened or for those events to not be somehow being impacted by now being on Tony and The Avenger's radar as well as being backed by Tony as well (who gives Spider-man a new suit.)

But, I really look forward to seeing more of this version of Spider-Man and what they'll do with him and if they'll handle of some of the bigger Spider-Man stories in future movies. It's a bit odd -for me- that this Spider-Man lives with his aunt in an apartment, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Speaking of his aunt.... She's played my Marisa Tomei. Which is to say she's hot. Now, sure, Marisa Tomei is old enough to have a teenaged nephew and, for me, it's always seemed odd that Spider-Man's aunt and uncle were portrayed as being so old but, I dunno.... This seems odd, but the movie does make some fun use of it with Tony meeting her and making references to her good looks. I wonder if Tony's thinking of taking on a more meaningful role as a "father figure" for Peter? ;)

The movie is fun. A lot of fun, there's also some good drama and story in it and really shows how it is possible to "have your cake and eat it to" with these movies. When people complained about how dark and humorless BvS was people are quick to say that making them to jokey and light-hearted is the problem the Batman movies ran into int he 1990s. But no one's saying you need to go camp. You just need to have some levity. Some humor. Some... something!

This movie has some heart in it with the talks between Vision and SW, character moments that make sense with Tony, and motivations and the touch of friendship that makes sense with Cap. It's also able to have some showcase battle scenes between the two sides while also having fun and making the scene visually appealing.

Marvel does it again. I could find flaws in this movie but I'd be really, really reaching and nitpicking and even then I'm not sure I'd find anything. OH! Bourne movie-like close-up/shaky-came action scene in the beginning of the movie! But the rest of the action scenes are well shot.

There. The Flaw. Shaky came action/chase scene in the first 15 minutes of the movie.

Otherwise, good movie and look forward to going to see it again.

FWIW: I saw the movie in IMAX 3D which looked good but, I dunno. I think a standard showing would work just as well.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I thought it was pretty solid, but could have been a tighter film in its own right without so much set-up for other films. Spidey was great anyway, but I thought that Ant-Man was stealing the show at the airport before he even added the "Gi-".

Five super-soldiers seemed a little underwhelming as the ticking bomb in a movie chock full of super-heroes, so I was happy when that turned out to be a feint.

I will say that they managed to make it not feel like an Avengers film, but it still felt like it was half Iron Man film...regardless of who the real villain was, I guess you could say that Tony's the best-developed antagonist in the MCU.

11. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

I loved Iron Man 3 and its handling of The Mandarin, and I consider it one of the best Marvel films, not the worst.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

.... Why did Peter Parker's bedroom door have a deadbolt on it?

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

So Aunt May can't go in his room when he's not there and find out he's Spider-Man?

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Here's a random thought-- With the shield in government hands, and given Ross' past trying to duplicate the super-soldier serum, they have a perfect set-up for the "John Walker as Captain America" arc. Now, I know how doubtful that is, but it's fun to think about. I read a piece saying that Ross should be utilized as a Henry Peter Gyrich style antagonist for Phase 3 and I thought that that would be a great idea. And it's a much better idea than Red Hulk, at least IMHO. And Ross wouldn't think twice about trying to create his own Captain America. Hell, that's exactly what he was trying to do in The Incredible Hulk.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The same reason that thousands of other teenagers have a deadbolt. Privacy.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Didn't we get that in BvS, though? Superman and Luthor's lines about no one staying good in this world. Superman does nothing but help other people in BvS and makes the sacrifice play in the end, and nobody cares. He goes to congress to try to mitigate peoples fears about him, and things blow up in his face. Literally.

Batman on the other hand; is a violent, in-your face, homicidal maniac with uncompromising rhetoric and a position of absolutes, and everyone (even Anthony Mackie who didn't like MOS) applauds Affleck's performance as the best part of the movie.

When you think about it what BvS was trying to achieve, it's odd. Batman is definitely an antagonist of the film, so you would think more people would cheer for Superman. Supes doesn't do anything offensive in BvS, and yet people demand more of Affleck's Batman. Supes is an individual in that the people in DCEU verse and audience are seemingly split on. I feel, he can't win for losing sometimes.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

Yeah, in the case of AoU/Sokovia you can pin it on Tony creating Ultron, but they seem to be holding "New York" and "Washington" against the heroes as well. Which is kind of nuts. It's just like what you said about BvS: the issue seems to be destruction caused by saving the world. Both premises seem equally flimsy in that respect.

18. Commander Richard

Weekend Domestic: $181,791,000.
    Worldwide Total: $678,391,000.

All this in less than 2 weeks and I've heard a lot of people say that they plan to see it again. I look forward to seeing how far this goes.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Seen it twice. Here's my review. It is absolutely, without a doubt, one of the best of the MCU movies. Right up there with Winter Soldier, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. With one exception (more on that later) every member of the large cast felt organic to the story and had an arc and character growth. The Black Panther has emerged as a fully realized character with his place in the MCU fully defined. He is ready for his close-up. Bring on 2017!

I like the baby-steps approach they are giving us with Wanda and Vision's relationship. These are two people who clearly care for each other and have had a MAJOR disagreement. Those who read the comics know that they are destined to work things out, but you can't help but feel sorry for them at this juncture.

Tom Holland was Amazing (pun intended) as Spider-Man. In just the twenty or so minutes of screen time he had, we got the most faithful to the source material big-screen Peter/Spidey ever. They took a little license with Aunt May, but I'll forgive them for that as I've had a crush on Marisa Tomei for, like, forever. Once again I say, bring on 2017! However, as much as I liked him, I have to admit that the movie really didn't need him. The recruitment scene felt distracting and tacked-on from the rest of the movie and the story really wouldn't be that much different if he hadn't been there (Much like Black Widow in Iron Man 2).

The airport battle was incredible! I could run that scene on a loop all day. It hit all of the right notes. From Spider-Man in general and his inability to shut-up (and other characters calling him on it), to Ant-Man riding on Hawkeye's arrow, to Lang's transformation into Giant-Man (Yes!), the entire scene was a nerd's dream come true.

Zemo was surprisingly grounded, yet threatening. His motive chillingly clear. Nothing so grandiose as world domination, just revenge for the death of his family that the Avengers caused and walked away from (Although, his scheme really did rely on a number of convenient coincidences and assumptions).

The conflict between Steve and Tony was heart-breaking because there was no real right or wrong here (Which is something the comic got wrong, IMHO. Tony Stark could almost be described as the villain of the Civil War comic). Even though I was Team Cap, I can't blame Tony for any of his actions here.

This was a very continuity heavy movie. It pulled together MCU plot threads going all the way back to 2008 and the first Iron Man movie and almost every movie since (especially, of course, the Cap and Iron Man movies). So, as the newest installment in the MCU franchise, I obviously thought it was amazing. As a Captain America movie, I have to score it a little less. While it focused on Steve and picked up on The Winter Soldier's hanging plot-threads and Steve's supporting players, there were perhaps a few too many characters and sub-plots for it to truly feel like a solo movie. Anyway, great flick! If you love the movies set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this one is a must-see!

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  20. Commander Richard

Seems like they know when to take liberties and when to be true to the characters. And this goes all the way back to Iron Man.