Baby Yoda vs Baby Groot. Most adorable!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, Nov 25, 2019.

?

Baby Yoda vs Baby Groot

1. Baby Yoda

26 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. Baby Groot

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

There is little point about making a brouhaha about b.y., but don't let this happen again ;).

I-have-spoken.png

2. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the best way to look at it is like so:

Khan is in Star Trek II--not a spoiler.

Spock dies in Star Trek II--spoiler.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  3. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I finished out this most recent pay period with 118 hours worked. I get up, work 11-12 hours a day, seven days a week, as I’ve done for the last month, go home, go to bed and repeat. Stop assuming I’m working your cushy schedule or have the kind of free time you do. Right now, I have none.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is a spoiler, and politeness assumes that not everyone watches things at the exact same time.

The Lensman likes this.
  5. The Lensman

If the show was called “The Mandalorian and Baby Yoda” and Baby Yoda was featured heavily in the trailers, like TWOK, then your analogy would be more accurate. But that’s not the case and I’m guessing Baby Yoda was a surprise reveal along the lines Cumberbatch Khan was supposed to be.

fireproof78 likes this.
  6. Kirk Prime

I agree about the second part, but not about the first. Baby Yoda existing is not a spoiler.

And as for Cumberbatch Khan, everyone knew he was Khan. That also was not a spoiler. That was dumb marketing. However, regarding Baby Yoda, the second that first episode was released, he was all over the internet. There was no avoiding it unless you completely stayed OFF the internet.

Admiral2 likes this.
  7. fireproof78

And people might do that to a certain degree, but it's still a spoiler since he wasn't advertised as part of the show. Even merchandising was kept tightened down until afterwards.

And, no, I didn't know Cumberbatch was Khan either. So, still a spoiler, to my mind. And, regardless, this thread isn't in the Star Wars subforum, which one could reasonably avoid if avoiding spoilers. Here, it was right out in the open. It's just politeness is all.

The Lensman likes this.
  8. Kirk Prime

What would you consider "afterwards?" The day after it was released? I wasn't able to watch Day One, but I remember hearing about baby Yoda right away. I hate spoilers, but that's not one that was avoidable, and it really wasn't major. I went into Mandalorian knowing Baby Yoda exists, but with no concept of context.

I pieced it together maybe a few minutes before he was revealed. So yeah, I lost one big gotcha moment, but it wasn't THAT important.

I agree with you 100 percent about spoilers and etiquette. I just don't feel THIS is worth the anger. I don't feel THIS is a spoiler. That said, you DO have a point about the placement of this thread.

Oh, and STID's decisions with Khan may be some of the dumbest marketing in Star Trek history, if not THE dumbest.

Admiral2 likes this.
  9. fireproof78

To you. That's the point is not everyone will regard it the same and acting like people unreasonable over their perception of spoiler is off putting, to say the least.

The Lensman likes this.
  10. Kirk Prime

True, but there's also a reasonable standard of importance.

11. fireproof78

And there is respect for other points of view.

The Lensman likes this.
  12. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Baby Yoda is technically a spoiler but like most of world I to was pulled into Baby Yoda mania and forgot about the reveal. The thought I was spoiling something didn't even cross my mind. Jason

The Lensman likes this.
  13. The Lensman

Thanks Jason. As far as I’m concerned that’s the end of this particular conversation for me. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress.....:bolian:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Jayson1 likes this.
  14. The Lensman

double post

15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's cute, it's creepy. When I saw it I thought give me a stick and I'll kill it. Groot is a stick.

16. Roundabout

Roundabout Commander Red Shirt

That looks like baby Mel Brooks. Definitely not adorable. May the schwartz be with you.

Too bad Star Trek doesn't have its own adorable Baby whatever.

I think Trek blew it with Keenser :ouch:, Scotty's sidekick.

I realize that Keenser is not a baby. But ever since the first time that I saw Keenser in Star Trek '09, I couldn't help but wonder why the nuTrek creators produced such an odd looking character, when they could have created something that is cute and cuddly, even if it's not a baby.

Granted, adorable is in the eye of the beholder. But Keenser, if done right, could have been Trek's version of a Baby Groot or Baby Yoda.

17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trek actually did it first with the tribbles. Maybe the first cute/adorable aliens, ever. Jason

Masiral and Gary Mitchell like this.
  18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Didn't we have already have this craze with big earred/black doll eyed creatures before?

[​IMG]

That's what get's me. Imagine if social media was around when "Gremlins" premiered.

Society is going around in circles idolizing another doll eyed big earred creature.

Just wait for the Gremlins reboot. People will think Gizmo is a brand new thing and never realize it was in an 80's movie

19. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I'm definitely Team Baby Yoda, and I have never even SEEN anything Star Wars (except for "the cutest Baby Yoda scenes" videos on Youtube now, haha. And I don't even really like babies. By all logical means I should not be moved by that little green doll. But... but... he's SO CUTE!

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, you've never seen anything Star Wars?