Aladdin live-action teaser trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Janeway’s Girl, Oct 14, 2018.

1. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That IS the point of a trailer, though. To give us an idea for assumptions before seeing it.

Deledrius and Professor Zoom like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It doesn't look right to my eyes. Obviously, mileage will vary, as illustrated by comments in this thread. But, it simply looks "off" like things are not syncing up quite right in terms of the body and the head.

It's not just the genie being blue that made the genie work.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Wouldn’t be the first time studios have released WiP special effects in trailers. And the finished movie looked way better.
    So still a wait & see situation.

4. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am usually a wait and see kind of person, but this trailer didn't inspire. Trying to be understanding, as Beauty and the Beast did better than I thought it would be.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not the problem.

The problem isn't Will Smith's performance, the problem right now is that the animation to turn him into the Genie doesn't seem to be very good.

fireproof78 likes this.
  7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It also doesn't help that they're basically grafting the body movement of someone who has a fairly tall, slender build onto a character design that's *way* bulkier in the upper body department. Add to that the face and the fact that the arm movements are the kind made by a person who's standing on the spot, while the character is floating around with no correlation to said movements.
    The whole thing is just all over the place.

8. Reyman

Reyman Commander Red Shirt

Will Smith has been pretty bulked up and beefy at times. I'm pretty sure that's his body.

9. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

From what I've gathered from a friend who works on the Disney live action movies, these brutal deadlines are pretty much the standard operating procedure. It's really sad - this friend is a massive Disney fan, and works truly horrific hours, and yet they're just not proud of the way these films are being made.

10. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I can believe that. I remember seeing an artist who worked on a TV show about 8 years ago saying that he'd be told in the morning, "Oh can you remake that whole environment before lunch?"

11. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

That sort of thing is why I chose to advance a certain amount in my cg visualizer role, and have no interest in getting on any further: Sure the pay is good, but I'd hardly ever come home.

Anyway, at least the Frozen 2 teaser that's just come out looks fab. :)

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering that the Genie is a supernatural being, I don't mind him looking "off" to our mere mortal human eyes.

Kor

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

At most, that’s a digital recreation of his body. And a poorly done one.

Seriously, if it wasn’t ready, they shouldn’t have done it.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I think there's a certain CG Tarkin problem going on - that even if the image were perfect and basically unimprovable, our brains would always remember we're looking at Will Smith's actual face on a CG body, just as we could never watch a perfect CG Tarkin and forget it isn't actually Peter Cushing. Whereas with the Hulk or Gollum or Yoda, we know they're inherently entirely unreal, so that's not an issue. So, should they have gone with a completely animated CG character, kinda like the Hulk, only partly transparent? Probably.

Anyhow, the rest of the trailer just looks weirdly clean and shiny, not to mention overlit, much like the PT as compared to the lived-in feel of thee OT. My reaction is the epitome of "meh", but I haven't seen any of these Disney live-action remakes, so I guess I'm not the audience they're concerned about.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don’t know... Thanos was pretty marvelous. Pun intended.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, but even then, it's not Brolin's actual whole photographed face. Sure, it's recognizably him, but the proportions are stretched just enough to avoid the Uncanny Valley and let your mind relax.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and Beauty and The Beast were all good.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

As Will Smith would say.. Oh Hell No!!

Just No ;)

Admiral2 likes this.
  19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

What I would have done is just let Will Smith look like himself but put him in a blue suit. He's suppposed to look strange to Aladdin, not the audience.

Of course, my way would probably have turned off just as many people, if not more, but at least we wouldn't be worrying about uncanny valleys. :shrug:

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually like that idea, anachronistic humor was a big part of the character, so putting him in costume like that would work.