Aladdin live-action teaser trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Janeway’s Girl, Oct 14, 2018.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, wait a minute. Why were people making fun of you, a female, for doing female things.

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I'm a trans woman, but that was what they were doing. But none of us knew at the time. They were right to call me a girl though, funny how that worked out.

3. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This one includes singing.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Each trailer is looking better than the last.
    Is it just me or does Naomi Scott look a little bit like Karen David from Galavant, Legacies, and who played Jasmin on Once Upon A TIme? I thought it was David for a second in this trailer and had to double check the cast list on Wikipedia to see that it was actually Scott.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wore it loud and proud, even put my liking of Beauty and the Beast in the school paper.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  6. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

I liked the trailers so far, but the Prince Ali song was a disappointment.

One of the comments got it right, it seems low energy, with some of the onlookers even bored. And is it just me, or is Will Smith actually off tune a couple of times?

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will Smith can carry a tune, he just doesn't have a good voice. it's thin and reedy, and made for rapping. As for Prince Ali, if they throw some more SFX in there, it'll liven it up some. I actually get the impression they're giving us previews of half-finished stuff as an attempt to draw us in, but it isn't working as well as they'd like.

8. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw this a few days ago. Meant to post it but forgot. Live action Jasmine seems to lack the firey spirit that animated Jasmine had.

Galaxy likes this.
  9. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

Maybe. I think she does have the voice though.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The more I see, the easier it is to pass on this.
    I haven't been interested in a single one of Disney's live action remakes.

11. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

That was a good film with amazing CGI. But from what I can gather from the trailers of Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King etc. they're just line for line remakes of the already successful, critically acclaimed animated movies complete with the same songs. It seems as pointless as the 1998 Vince Vaughn Psycho remake as they're aren't doing anything different.

As another poster pointed out though, Beauty & the Beast was a big financial success so however creatively bankrupt it is what Disney is doing it is still making them a lot of money.

12. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

It's nostalgia I think selling these. I watched Beauty and the Beast and I loved it, but all of the songs (save for one, IIRC) were from the animated film I loved as a kid. The rest of the story was a little more different, which made it worth watching once or twice. I still prefer the original though.

Music works wonderfully at drawing in adults who watched it as children, as a way of introducing their children to Disney. It's all very nefarious. ;)

The Aladdin trailer looks kind of promising for doing the same kind of job again, I just don't think I want to watch it. I haven't seen The Jungle Book or Dumbo either.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  13. fireproof78

I have very little interest in this but the art design at least is eye catching. Since my daughters are interested I might be able to make it through this on the production design alone.

Jungle Book was definitely my favorite of all the recent recreations. I definitely thought Beauty and the Beast added just enough little differences to be interesting, though the songs left much to be desired.

For me, the thing about these films is the characters. In animation the songs can definitely carry it. But, the moments in the trailer that have briefly caught my eye are the small character moments, like Aladdin's "Do you trust me?" and the Genie's saying "Aladdin has to open the door."

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Looks like fun.

15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only one I've watched so far is the Jungle Book, and I thought it was fun enough, but overrated and not nearly as well made (cgi-wise) as people like to claim. Also, fire whoever let Christopher Walken sing that painfully long song. The Lion King looks a lot better and I'll definitely check that one out on disc. Aladdin does not look very good at all, so far, both visuals wise and acting wise. I still mean to get around to BatB eventually, but only because Emma Watson looks great in it. I don't even care about the animated BatB. And I'll probably never bother with Dumbo at all.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I like how Auto-tuned it sounded. It seemed a little weird and slightly distracting.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For comparison.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

God I miss Robin Williams. Like his comedy or not, he was such a multi-faceted actor.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems fine to me. Much better than I thought it would be, actually, considering William's shoes were going to be hard to fill. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it now.

Serveaux likes this.
  20. fireproof78

One of my favorite parts.