1960's and risqué clothes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Nakita Akita, Jan 28, 2020.

1. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Woad-covered Celts: the original Blue Man Group.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  2. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

It was societal oppression that kept them blue and naked...........:guffaw:
    :ack:
    Not again!!!!:wah::wah:

Armus likes this.
  3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

too add to that a good deal of what was "commonly" known about the Celts was from Caesar's "The Gallic War" which was widely read and was intended by the author to be a big PR win for a war that had dragged on, wasn't popular with all parts of society, and whose leader (Julius Ceasar) was in quite a bit of legal trouble at home. He needed support, and the best way to do that was to portray Gauls and Britons ans nearly-animal savages intent who if left unattended would sack Rome again.

4. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Caesar had almost bent the world completely to his will. Had he not been assassinated who knows how history would have developed.

5. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

hard to say. those historical what if's always are. Mark Anthony may have eventually rebelled against him. Gnaeus Pompeius would have still been a problem. If Caesar had lived and for whatever reason, acknowledged Caesarion as his son, that might also have undermined him. Ultimately I don't think he would have had a peaceful life, regardless.

Armus likes this.
  6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Berserkers were featured in old Norse stories; i.e. Scandinavian Vikings.

Kor

XCV330 likes this.
  7. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I think this thread has gone off the rails.:wtf:

8. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you'll find rails wasn't invented yet at the time they're talking.

jaime likes this.
  9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

When do you mean?

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I shall call this thread: Amtrak Dining Car. :lol:

Nakita Akita likes this.
  11. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Naked Celts have hijacked this thread!

12. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Nae King! Nae Quin! Nae Laird! Nae Lawyers!

Armus likes this.
  13. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed, there's a lot of linguistic and genetic evidence that what we have assumed to be vast movements of "Celtic" peoples up through Europe to the British Isles may well have been anything but, with cultural markers being far more prominent than DNA as indicators of such migrations, thus indicating that the spread of languages may have been more a property of trade routes than mobile populations displacing each other.

In point of fact the entire premise of a deep south European heritage for a coherent group at all is based on some very shaky primary sources indeed, ones which would be dismissed out of hand if they were introduced fresh in modern academia.

XCV330 likes this.
  14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

So, I've got Norman, Scottish, Celtic and German ancestors. There are a lot of bowl-cut, naked, blue, berserk redheads in my lineage! :O

Poltargyst likes this.
  15. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could be worse. They could be naked-cut, blue, berserk, red bowlheads. And no, I have no desire to find out what that would even look like.

16. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We are doing a Star Trek theme for Halloween. Have any of you ever made an original series costume? I don't know how hard it would be to get the right color shirt, hoping for blue? This would be not sewing a pattern but going and looking at thrift shops and such. I think I could add the details once I find the right thing. Want to do this myself. any ideas or thoughts would be great thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  17. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Edit to add: neither of us is much into sewing. More like scouting the thrift shops looking for the right lines and colors.

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

They're pretty cheap on ebay.
    I don't think you can make them yourself cheaper.
    However if you want to do it yourself...

Back years ago before they had the cheap ones available I made ,myself a men's uniform shirt and a child shirt and a child's dress for my daughter. I got the pattern from the Franz Joseph's technical manual .It was a nightmare because I'm not a great sewer either.

I've worked in thrift shop and its very difficult getting a block coloured dress or top especially in the gold or blue.
    What I did last year was get a red skivvy and sew gold ric-rac on it for the stripes. I already had a red skirt so the red skirt and long sleeved top looked OK together along with back stockings and black boots.
    I considered dyeing a white skivvy blue but the dye was $20 so better for me to pay $30 on ebay for a shirt rather than an uncertain dye job for me anyway.
    I tried iron-on material to put on the delta symbol and stripes on but it kept coming off so I just used a white postal label sticker coloured with a gold paint pen and cut up in the stripe and delta shapes.

Silvercrest likes this.
  19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Instead of the delta, we're likely to get or make TNG-era commbadges just because they're cooler. If anyone calls us on it, we'll say we've been time-traveling.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

So, coming back around to the whole miniskirt debate, I reconnected with Andrea Weaver, who was the women's wardrobe person on TOS for the 2nd and 3rd seasons. She literally put (sometimes sewed) the women into their costumes, so she handled them daily.

She said that under the skirts they used "standard dancer briefs" [dyed to match the uniform], and that the the idea of some sort of leg panel or such is "completely unauthentic". We've seen our share of upskirt shots on the show and this seems to jibe with her description.

When asked about the uniform colors, she said the idea was to use primary colors: red, blue and green instead of yellow. The green was green (not gold or lime -nothing with yellow added). She explains that blue is a very unstable color—"especially in L.A." (presumably referring to the garment district)—and when you see uniforms decades on they have lost their blue AND faded, so you don't see the original color. You can see this in the blue uniforms as well, many of which have color-shifted towards a pale purple.

So there you go. From about as primary a source as you can get.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    BK613, kkt, J.T.B. and 7 others like this.